Odd man out

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Odd man out

Post by PhDhawk »

I'd just prefer we play to our strengths and impose our will on the other team.

If the the other team goes small, I think it's a mistake to try to immediately match up with them just because we can, and in doing so removing one of our best players.

I just think with our size, we should be able to absolutely control the glass, get easy buckets inside, and make it difficult for the opponent to get easy buckets at the rim.

I mean even if we go Dok, Dedric, and then Lawson or Vick or whoever at the three, that's a size advantage 99% of the time...and we could theoretically go even bigger.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

agree

generally, we should be forcing opponents to match up with us...not vice versa
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

This is a hard year to predict. So many options. We will have a pretty good idea what Self wants to do early on since we start off with some big games.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

From the dotcom:
“The thing about Charlie that people might not understand is people equate him to being a point guard just because he’s not very tall,” KU coach Bill Self recently told the Journal-World. “But the bottom line is this dude can score. He’ll play some point for us, but he’ll probably play every bit as much off the ball. He can play point guard, but I still think he’d be better if he had a point guard in the game with him.”
If Moore is going to play a lot at the 2, that's going to have a trickle down effect on all of the other guards, Vick, Garrett, KJ, and even Grimes. I thought Agbaji should redshirt, but if Moore is playing much at the two, he should tuck that redshirt in tight because there just aren't any minutes to spread around.

Deleted User 75

Playing him off the ball doesn't necessarily mean we will have another "PG" in the game. It could just mean that his role within the offense may be more about scoring than facilitating for others. Even after reading that I still think he'll play alongside Grimes and Vick frequently.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:18 am Playing him off the ball doesn't necessarily mean we will have another "PG" in the game. It could just mean that his role within the offense may be more about scoring than facilitating for others. Even after reading that I still think he'll play alongside Grimes and Vick frequently.
Later in same article about Dotson and Moore:
“They’ll have to play together some,” Self said. “If they don’t play together, that means one of them’s going to play 30 and the other one’s going to play 10. So they’ll play together.”
I do think there could be times where Grimes runs the point, and then defensively Moore takes the smaller guard and Grimes the bigger guard...but Self doesn't seem to like to let guys who are more natural 2's (like Grimes) run the point. He seems to much prefer to have two small guards.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I...think we don't have a point guard. This is not ideal.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's becoming increasingly important that Dotson be really really good really really quickly.

Deleted User 75

It's going to be so different not having our best player be our PG (frank or devonte)...

Thankfully all our guards need to do well is play defense and give the ball to Dedric and Dok.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Everything you read suggests that in the half court offense everything will run through Dedric anyway. It's possible that all Moore/Dotson need to do is dribble the ball up the court and then basically play the 2 guard in the offense.

It'll be interesting to see how the offense changes to accommodate a point-forward. And it'll be interesting to see how our offense runs when Dedric is on the bench...does it go back to normal, or do Mitch/DeSousa/KJ step into that point forward role?

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 am It's becoming increasingly important that Dotson be really really good really really quickly.
In the context of the difference between being a contender and being the favorite, yes.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

"true" point guards

Frank, Sherron, Russ?

combo-guards

D'tae, Tron, EJ, Mario?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Other 'true' point-guards:
Aaron Miles

Other 'combo-guards':
Reed, Selby, Morningstar

Just other:
Tharpe, Frankamp
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We have done a version of this dance nearly every year it seems. In my mind, I tend to think of a "point guard" as being best described as a "primary ballhandling guard", so that would capture guys who are also alpha scorers (like Frank and Devonte).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah, I'm more interested in how Self's going to play guys than I am in a stylistic description of their games or what they project as pros.

I find it interesting that Self really likes to have two primary ballhandlers on the court but inevitably one becomes the ballhandler 90% of the time anyway, whether it's Robinson/Chalmers, Collins/Taylor, Mason/Graham...he likes the possibility of "whoever gets it, takes it" but in practice there's always a PG and SG differentiation.

So it'll be interesting how many mpg Dotson and Moore play together. And what role, Grimes and Garrett play, in terms of being the primary ballhandler. And, if any of that matters if we're playing Dedric like ISU played Royce White and Niang.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Right. I think it also means someone who can really make plays off the dribble, which is something more than being able to put it down a couple times and get to the rack.