Odd man out

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Odd man out

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Seems like there is 1 every year....who is it going to be this year?
PhDhawk

Re: Odd man out

Post by PhDhawk »

There will actually be 2 and maybe more this year, at least 1 big and 1 li'l.

I'm not going to predict who they will be, but there are 5 bigs and 7 guards. So I think there will be 2 odd men out most of the year and probably 3 or 4 by March.

Safely in guys are: Dok, Dedric, Grimes, Moore and Dotson (Moore and Dotson will both play because they are the only two primary ball handlers)

Other than that, it's pretty stiff competition. Obviously I'm not saying the remaining 7 guys are on a level playing field.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

For the bigs I think it'll have to be McCormak or Lightfoot...assuming SDS actually plays in games.

Guards is hard to call it. Agbaji probably on the outside looking in...so then it'll come down to KJ or Garrett as the other odd man out (once the rotation slims down for conference and post season).

I don't see any scenario where Moore, Dotson, Grimes, or Vick are not safely inside the rotation playing major minutes. Same with Dok, Dedric, and SDS (if we actually play him and throw caution to the wind, which appears to be what we plan to do).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is really tough.

I think KJ may end up being a guy who gets put back in the rotation because he's a tween 3/4.
You'd think Lightfoot could spell Dedric - but he's not spelling Dok.

I don't know how effective Dok and De Sousa would be out there at the same time - so De Sousa could backup Dok and Lightfoot could backup Dedric. That would leave McCormack as the odd man out even though he's a highly regarded recruit.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Like the Jamari vs Diallo conversation, the first out will depend on who can't figure out how to run solid KU defense as quickly as the others.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:40 pm Like the Jamari vs Diallo conversation, the first out will depend on who can't figure out how to run solid KU defense as quickly as the others.
For sure this used to be true. But we've played garbage defense the past two years. I'm hoping that's the case again.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think the big rotation will be Dok, Dedrick, Silvio, with Lightfoot and David sharing freshman TRob minutes, or one possibly redshirting.

As far as guards, Agbaji is most likely to shirt. Maaaaybe Garrett, except he’s already played significant minutes and is a coach’s player.

KJ is the biggest question. Yeah he’s apparently a tweener, but he’s also proven productive at the D1 level...
Deleted User 75

Was freshman Trob 4th in the bigs rotation or 5th?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

I am interested to see what Lightfoot has done to improve his game in the offseason. He has obviously gained weight, but he is still a tweener without the kind of speed and agility it would take to move out of the post much, and not enough size to be effective in the paint.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Lightfoot, as we know, was playing out of position frequently.
He'd do just fine against a number of '4's if he's out there with Dok or De Sousa.
I'm going to guess he has upped his perimeter game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 pm Was freshman Trob 4th in the bigs rotation or 5th?
Marcus 24.7 MPG
Kief 17.6
TRob 7.2
Withey 3
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:41 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 pm Was freshman Trob 4th in the bigs rotation or 5th?
Marcus 24.7 MPG
Kief 17.6
TRob 7.2
Withey 3
And Cole at 27, right?

So if McCormack played that same 5th on depth chart role he'd probably be closer to withey minutes if he can't beat out mitch.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

4th, behind Cole and the twins.

Going out on a big limb here, as I don't really think it will happen, but a scenario that hasn't been mentioned is one where Moore could be the odd one out? Dotson is a dude and is going to play. Garrett, like been mentioned, is a coach's players. I don't see him not playing. Grimes will spend most of his time at the off guard, but both he and Self have been on record saying he can play point too. If that's the case, he and Garrett can run the offense together when Dotson is sitting. Vick and KJ split minutes at the 3, say around 25/15. Like I said, it's an outside shot theory. I think the most likely outcome is Dotson/Moore run the point. Grimes/Vick at the 2/3 with Garret filling for whichever is out. Don't think they sit much together. Then KJ in the 07/08 Rod Stewart role. Elliot and/or Ajbaji taking a shirt.

Bigs I think McCormack is the odd one out to start. Dok and Dedric will start. SDS filling for Dok, and Mitch getting back to his natural spot as a 4 for 8-10 minutes a game that Dedric sits. By March, I think you see Dedric/SDS at the 4 and Dok/McCormack at the 5 rotations with Mitch closing the first half a lot, like Cole did for the 08 team.
Deleted User 75

I've seen nothing that makes me think Garrett is capable of being the primary ball handler (yet), but if dotson and grimes can both do that then I guess that could happen....seems unlikely. I think Garrett is going to have to battle for minutes this year.

You could be right that dotson beats out moore and the minutes split at the 1 is something like 25min/15min for those 2. And to be honest I'd love to see dotson get the nod right off the bat if this is going to be our PG for the next 3 years.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

He had 30 turnovers all season playing 748 minutes. Yeah, about 7 of those minutes were as the primary ball handler, but I still think he's more than capable of running an offense. It's not like he was out there standing in the corner with a sign saying don't pass to me. He may not be the best PG when it comes to creating shots for others, but that doesn't mean he can't run the offense for stretches. Especially if it depends on ball and player movement over break you down and dish.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm hoping mitch lightfoot is the odd man out. Dok and Lawson are locks to start at the 4 and 5. Assuming de sousa can play all season, then de sousa and mccormack are 2 ridiculously talented back ups. My dream scenario is a mitch lightfoot redshirt. Of the bigs he is the only one who would make sense to redshirt. Mccormack/de sousa will probably not play 4 years before going pro

WIth that said, Mitch might be too good to redshirt. He's a junior. has experience. self loves his character/work ethic. But if Mitch is willing to take a shirt, he could come back the following season and be a dominant college player for 2 seasons as a redshirt jr/redshirt sr.
Deleted User 75

He may not have had a sign that said "don't pass to me" but I sure hoped we wouldn't pass to him if he was going to have to shoot anything other than a layup/dunk.

Curious to see how much his shooting numbers jump this year with an entire off season of working on his game...his defense was good last year, but it's also hard to truly gauge because we played small so often he was guarding out of position and we would switch everything (mostly because NONE of our players were very good at defense). He's long and quick so I think he's got great potential defensively, hopefully we see some of that shine thru this year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 am For the bigs I think it'll have to be McCormak or Lightfoot...assuming SDS actually plays in games.

Guards is hard to call it. Agbaji probably on the outside looking in...so then it'll come down to KJ or Garrett as the other odd man out (once the rotation slims down for conference and post season).

I don't see any scenario where Moore, Dotson, Grimes, or Vick are not safely inside the rotation playing major minutes. Same with Dok, Dedric, and SDS (if we actually play him and throw caution to the wind, which appears to be what we plan to do).
I think it's gonna be Lightfoot and Garrett who end up playing less minutes than they probably "deserve" because they seem to be the best team-first attitude guys and would probably handle it the best. Both will still play and there will be games where they may directly responsible for us winning a game that we would have lost without their contributions but I think that minutes will be shaved off of them to keep guys like SDS and KJ Lawson in the rotation.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I don't know that I agree about Mitch doing better as a 4. He is realllly slow, I don't know that he could keep the typical college tweener 4 in front of him, or get out to contest shots.

I would like to see Dok, Dedric, and DeSousa get almost all the frontcourt minutes. I think SDS can play the 4 better than Mitch.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:32 pm I don't know that I agree about Mitch doing better as a 4. He is realllly slow, I don't know that he could keep the typical college tweener 4 in front of him, or get out to contest shots.

I would like to see Dok, Dedric, and DeSousa get almost all the frontcourt minutes. I think SDS can play the 4 better than Mitch.
Mitch isn't slow. Might not be used to guarding the perimeter. But he isn't slow. I agree with the second part tho. Would like to see dok and dedric play heavy starter minutes. Both spelled mainly by SDS. McCormack could be an x factor in some games with his length and athletic ability as he adjusts to college ball