Odd man out

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Odd man out

Post by PhDhawk »

Here's Rock Chalk Talk's List.

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2018/10/3 ... ion-part-1

This is just part one, so guys are listed from 12-9, which would more or less encompass the odd men out.
12. Ochai Agbaji (6-5 freshman guard)

I still think Agbaji will redshirt, but in KU’s Late Night scrimmage (which I realize doesn’t mean much) he did not look out of place athletically at all. Physically, he’s ready to withstand the grind of college basketball. But with so much depth on hand, Kansas likely will (and probably should) take advantage of it and get Agbaji a redshirt year.

Given his frame and where he’s from, the Travis Releford comparisons will likely be coming rapidly. Agbaji obviously isn’t that type of a defender yet, but seems to have more confidence in his shot than Releford did at that stage. I certainly expect him to rank quite a bit higher on this list in the coming years.

11. Mitch Lightfoot (6-8 junior forward)

Lightfoot could start for probably 8 of the other 9 Big 12 teams, and would be a major contributor for everyone else in the league.

Lightfoot’s biggest problem last year was a lack of strength, something that mayyyyyybe won’t be an issue anymore. Too often last year he would get himself in a good spot offensively but get shoved away by a bigger defender, or allow an opposing offensive player to back him down for an easy layup. He is, however, a very good help defender. His 10.8 block percentage led the team last year, and he would have finished 2nd in the Big 12 in the stat had he played enough minutes to qualify. That alone gives him value defensively, and if he did bulk up enough to hold his position in the post, Lightfoot could earn himself some minutes.

Offensively, Lightfoot is mostly a rim runner and dunker. He was the 2nd best offensive rebounder on the team last year, and is a relentless worker (probably a little too relentless given his foul totals), which gives him a couple extra baskets. He needs to improve as a screener to be able to really get a lot of playing time.

Also of note: Lightfoot is a career 40 percent shooter from three, and even though it’s just 20 attempts (but hey who’s counting), he looks comfortable enough taking them that maybe he could be an answer to potential shooting woes?

10. David McCormack (6-10 freshman forward)

I am guessing you won’t find many teams whose 10th man is a McDonald’s All-American, but that’s how things are with the 2018-19 Kansas Jayhawks. Granted a lot of this ranking is based on the fact it sounds like he’s pretty far down there in the rotation, and there just aren’t enough minutes to go around.

McCormack is physically imposing, and if he were to get pressed into action this season I certainly wouldn’t be worried about him in that aspect. From reading preseason articles and watching interviews, it sounds like he needs to get into better cardio shape, but I am not worried about that either.

Basketball wise, he’s mostly a dunker at this point and doesn’t have much skill outside the immediate paint area. Long term, he looks like a potentially elite rebounder. I should watch him play more before going for this comp, but think more athletic Landen Lucas.

9. Devon Dotson (6-2 freshman guard)

Dotson is probably the guy I have the least handle on of this year’s squad. A McDonald’s All-American himself, Dotson was one of the best AAU players in the country last summer. He gets into the lane well and is incredibly quick. I have not seen much about his shooting but he looks to have a simple, repeatable form, so there likely won’t be any issues there.

Defensively, however, Dotson needs some work. He probably isn’t quite 6-2, and he’s not filled out at all yet, so he’s going to get pushed around. He also, from the clips I have seen, needs a lot of work both in anticipation and staying in front of his man. Knowing what Bill Self prioritizes, I think that lack of defense could keep Dotson from major playing time, which is the biggest reason he’s this low on the list.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Assuming Agbaji isn't even in the conversation, I think the most likely "odd man out" candidate is McCormack. Anyone who thinks he'll play over Lightfoot hasn't been paying close attention to how things work under Self.

I must admit to still having a bad feeling about the possibility that Dotson is kept in the garage too much during the non-con, such that he hasn't earned Self's trust by conference play (and thus remains a non-essential piece).
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Yikes. If Dotson is that far down the list then I'm nervous for our backcourt.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am Assuming Agbaji isn't even in the conversation, I think the most likely "odd man out" candidate is McCormack. Anyone who thinks he'll play over Lightfoot hasn't been paying close attention to how things work under Self.
SDS passed Mitch by end of last season. If Mitch still won't box out or go for the ball on the defensive glass, we may not see much of him this year.
Deleted User 75

SDS did pass Mitch, but he passed him for minutes as the lone big, which Mitch is not suited for AT ALL.

Mitch will rebound, defend, and score better against other 4s, instead of against the other teams biggest player (which was often the case last year).
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Don't forget K. J. at either the 3 or the 4 spot.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 pm SDS did pass Mitch, but he passed him for minutes as the lone big, which Mitch is not suited for AT ALL.

Mitch will rebound, defend, and score better against other 4s, instead of against the other teams biggest player (which was often the case last year).
He'll box out and move his feet against smaller players, but didn't do so against bigger ones?

His on-ball post defense and post offense were negatively affected by his size and playing out of position, but the lack of defensive rebounding and defensive positioning were mental mistakes or lack of hustle.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:30 pm Don't forget K. J. at either the 3 or the 4 spot.
I could see him getting significant minutes if SDS is ineligible.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

He could start at the 3 or back up his brother.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 pm SDS did pass Mitch, but he passed him for minutes as the lone big, which Mitch is not suited for AT ALL.

I agree with this.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^ I agree as well.

but I also think that SDS is still probably the better matchup against other 4s either way.
Deleted User 75

ousdahl wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:17 pm ^^^ I agree as well.

but I also think that SDS is still probably the better matchup against other 4s either way.
Yes. I imagine we will almost always have 1 of Dok or Dedric in the game at all times.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah I guess SDS’s eligibility is a question mark.

But if he’s good to go, I think the only way Lightfoot sees much time is if we’re up double digits in the first half.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Depending on the outcome of the Adidas Trial but SDS may be the odd man out this season. KJ Lawson could play the #4 as well ahead of Lightfoot in some situations. HCBS has options this season that he hasn't had for a couple of seasons: DEPTH.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

No odd men out this year. Self has the luxury of yanking anyone who isn't hustling on defense from the game and inserting another body. McCormack will play a minimum of 15 min per game spelling Dok. It will be hell on the opposing defense because they will have to guard a player who has a nice touch on his jumper and stretch them when we switch.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Lightfoot looks like he has added some pretty significant bulk this summer.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:42 am No odd men out this year. Self has the luxury of yanking anyone who isn't hustling on defense from the game and inserting another body. McCormack will play a minimum of 15 min per game spelling Dok. It will be hell on the opposing defense because they will have to guard a player who has a nice touch on his jumper and stretch them when we switch.
This is all well and good, but...if this means Dotson doesn't get enough run to be a trusted rotation guy by January, then it will have been an error on Bill's part.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Unusual lineups college basketball bluebloods should consider using
Kansas: Quentin Grimes, Marcus Garrett, LaGerald Vick, K.J. Lawson, Dedric Lawson

We’re less likely to see this lineup than the Duke group mentioned above, but man, this would be fun. Kansas would essentially be using five wings at the same time. Dedric Lawson is a natural four, but he can play at least three positions. That’s part of his appeal.

The Jayhawks would be able to switch every defensive action. Every player is at least 6-5. There are no real exploitable mismatches. Offensively, this crew has everything you’d want; slashers, shooters, ball-handlers. Dedric Lawson would have plenty of room to go nuts inside.

The reason we won’t see this lineup much? It doesn’t include Charlie Moore or Udoka Azubuike, two of Kansas’ best players. That’s how loaded this Jayhawks team is, but you’ll see different variations of this lineup. Like Moore instead of Garrett, or Azubuike instead of (take your pick). Moore and Azubuike make Kansas better offensively; the allure with this lineup would be its defensive potential. The Jayhawks are probably the only team in the country capable of trotting out five competent wings. Villanova continues to show us how valuable two-way wings are. They mask weaknesses because they can do a little bit of everything.

Bill Self has a lot of fun combinations to toy with this year.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I kinda disagree with the popular idea of going small.

I think the strength of the team is the bigs. If Dedric can actually play the 3, I'd like to occasionally see something like, Dok, SDS/McCormack, Dedric, Grimes and Dotson.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

As long as it doesn't hurt us too much on the other end, sure. But it certainly seems like Dedric is an indifferent defender (at best), so I worry some about smaller teams (which: they're all going to be smaller) abusing us a bit.