The 50 Best games of the 2018–19 College Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

The 50 Best games of the 2018–19 College Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

Post by PhDhawk »

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... nc-gonzaga

Kansas vs. Michigan State, 7 p.m. ET, ESPN (in Indianapolis, Ind.)

While both the Jayhawks and Spartans sustained significant losses from last season, the former will look quite different from the team that fans last saw in the Final Four. Bill Self has revamped and reloaded, and Kansas will be a top-three preseason team in the country. But its new pieces are going to need to jel quickly to handle an immediate challenge from a veteran Michigan State team looking to take advantage of any early jitters.

NIT Tip-Off Final: Tennessee/Louisville vs. Kansas/Marquette, 9 p.m., ESPN2 (in Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Almost immediately following the Vegas invitational games, there’s another treat in store on Black Friday. The NIT Preseason Tip-Off includes four intriguing teams: the first nationally televised games for Louisville under Chris Mack, an offense-powered Marquette team and two preseason Final Four candidates in Kansas and Tennessee. Wednesday’s games will determine who meets Friday, but it’s probably safe to say that most neutral fans are rooting for a Jayhawks-Volunteers showdown.

Villanova at Kansas, 12 p.m. ET, ESPN

Villanova hasn’t often been considered the underdog in recent years, but that’s what it will be in Allen Fieldhouse. Phil Booth and Eric Paschall are plenty battle-tested, but the younger Wildcats will need to step up.

Kansas at Arizona State, 9 p.m. ET,

The Sun Devils stunned the Jayhawks last year, and now Kansas can seek revenge in Tempe. It doesn’t seem likely right now that lightning will strike twice, but it will give KU a true road game before it hits Big 12 play.

Kansas at Kentucky, 6 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN2

At least right now, it’s not hyperbole to say that this could be the best non-conference game of the season. You’re going to have to wait for it, though—which isn’t a bad thing. By late January, both Kentucky and Kansas could be playing closer to their best basketball, having ample time to integrate their new pieces. While the opening Champions Classic games will also be a showcase of elite talent, they might be more of a rough draft compared to this one. This should be a real treat in a break from conference play for both, and will be a major résumé-booster for the winner just around the time when the discussion of NCAA tournament seeding starts to heat up.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Re: The 50 Best games of the 2018–19 College Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

Post by PhDhawk »

College basketball schedule: The 21 top non-conference games in November and December

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -december/

Nov. 6: Michigan State vs. Kansas

Location: Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis (Champions Classic)

In any other venue, Michigan State-Kansas would be the headliner of the Champions Classic. But incredibly, thanks to Kentucky-Duke, this game might somehow be overshadowed on opening day.

Nonetheless, it's still one of the top non-conference games of the early season. In Michigan State, you've got a team looking to replace two lottery talents in Miles Bridges and Jaren Jackson. In Kansas, you've got a team replacing Devonte' Graham and Svi Mykhailiuk. But star power is still abundant on both rosters, and on both sidelines, with Hall of Fame coach Bill Self looking to go all-square against fellow Hall of Famer Tom Izzo. Izzo holds a 4-3 advantage, but lost 90-70 in 2017 when they faced off in the NCAA Tournament.

Dec. 15: Kansas vs. Villanova

Kansas' magical NCAA Tournament run ended last season at the hands of the Villanova buzzsaw, but it holds the upperhand in this mid-December rematch. Not only do the Jayhawks have a more complete roster than Nova on paper, but they get to take on the Wildcats in one of the greatest venues in the sport in Allen Fieldhouse. There is no greater homecourt advantage than the one in Lawrence.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That holiday game v a decent West coast opponent continues ( Stanford/UNLV/San Diego State and now Arizona State ) continues.

Always a good time around the holidays to catch a game against a decent to good opponent.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Really surprised the KU/Nova game isn't getting a better slot than 11 am. Primetime must be reserved for the GoDaddy.com Bowl.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I really don't like the timing of the Kentucky game. It feels...unimportant when sandwiched in among the conference games. Maybe "unimportant" is the wrong word. Less important.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I can see it both ways. It's unimportant because we are in conference race mode (but aren't all non con games somewhat unimportant by that standard?)..and It's important in that it's a marquee game against a team better than any of big 12 opponents we will be facing during the several month stretch of conference season....personally I don't think it's ever a bad thing to be showcased like the KU vs UK game always gets showcased, and I think it can't do anything but help prepare us for NCAA tournament. It's the 2 winningest programs of all time. I don't care what month it's in I'd consider it a big game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Certainly better than stopping conference play to take on texas a&m

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 pm I really don't like the timing of the Kentucky game. It feels...unimportant when sandwiched in among the conference games. Maybe "unimportant" is the wrong word. Less important.
You crazy bro. Best game on the schedule. We’ll run through the conference as usual. 16-2 is worst case
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I like the timing of Kentucky game.. It's a nice break from the conference grind.

This topic was always a hot topic on .net, but there weren't many better games in Jan 2016 and Jan 2017 when KU and UK played each other on a Saturday night. ESPNs biggest game of the day, and a lot of people watched and the crowds were electric in Allen. The crowds in Rupp just suck.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’m in the boat with those that welcome the game, no matter where or when it’s played