Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 57

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Self knew about Preston. Maybe not before the fact, or during the fact, but obviously after the fact, and thankfully he pretty much kept his mouth shut. Now we fully understand why.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Gutter's Mother wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 pm Self knew about Preston. Maybe not before the fact, or during the fact, but obviously after the fact, and thankfully he pretty much kept his mouth shut. Now we fully understand why.
This is 100% accurate. Bill has been known to play it on the safe side with these types of things. He did exactly that, and he definitely knew what had happened after the investigation and all that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

As I (now) understand the chain of events, we discovered wires to Preston's mom while sorting out the car situation.

Honestly, this makes me feel really good about the Silvio situation, and compliance generally. It seems like we dug deeper than maybe we needed to with Preston (if the goal was to get/keep him eligible, at least in the short term). I have to think that, with all of that in motion, there's no fucking way we would have played Silvio without a very close examination.

I also think - as strongly as I'd disagree with it - that we won't see Silvio suit up again. I am guessing that, especially given our depth, we'll play that one hyper-conservatively.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 pm
I also think - as strongly as I'd disagree with it - that we won't see Silvio suit up again. I am guessing that, especially given our depth, we'll play that one hyper-conservatively.
Nooooooo!!!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 83

Post by Deleted User 83 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 pm I also think - as strongly as I'd disagree with it - that we won't see Silvio suit up again.
So you think he will play naked? I don't know if Bill will allow that unless he also practices naked.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

So far, the only thing that Silvio is on the hook for is $2,500, that's just a 5 or 6 game suspension and restitution.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Wifflehead wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 pm I also think - as strongly as I'd disagree with it - that we won't see Silvio suit up again.
So you think he will play naked? I don't know if Bill will allow that unless he also practices naked.
NO HEAD BAND!
Deleted User 83

Post by Deleted User 83 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:32 pm
Wifflehead wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 pm
NO HEAD BAND!
Lol. He would be such a weird teammate.
Deleted User 57

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

So...we WERE the victims.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Because of The Rules, sure. Neat trick.
Deleted User 57

Ok, from the several articles I have read, here it comes.....

1) "the car was, according to statements by defense attorney Mike Schachter, registered with “Nicole Player’s recently deceased grandmother” who lived in Florida.
“The University of Kansas was satisfied with that,” Schachter said.

"Kansas accepted explanation from the Preston family about the car situation".

**** I admit my confusion. The University was "satisfied"/"accepted" that a player was driving a car registered to his deceased great grandmother? "Registered" to her before or after she was deceased? Either way, somehow, some way, compliance was "satisfied" and "accepted" it so by all means it must have be "legit". Right? Or wrong?

2) "He met regularly with any college coach in America. Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Bill Self, whomever. Self and Gassnola regularly discussed recruiting targets, although Gassnola claimed he never directly told anyone at Kansas about his payments".

"Facing cross-examination from the defense, Gassnola testified to attempting to get Ayton's mother permanent housing and a job in Kansas in an effort to recruit Ayton to KU".

"Gassnola just kept bombing out details. There was a $15,000 payment to then-high school junior Deandre Ayton, who later chose Arizona anyway, a decision that disappointed Gassnola greatly.
“Did you feel you let Coach Self down when Deandre Ayton did not go to the University of Kansas,” Schachter asked.
“I did,” Gassnola stated.
This was the dichotomy of Gassnola’s testimony. On one hand, he kept boldly claiming he NEVER spoke to coaches about the payouts, but on the next he’d speak about how much they all begged for his "HELP".
“The basketball coaching staffs want assistance,” Gassnola said.

"The relationship between Gassnola and Falmagne began after KU assistant Kurtis Townsend asked Gassnola to connect Falmagne with Adidas, as Falmagne was looking for the Angolan National Team to get product from Adidas. Gassnola said he had a "brief, brief conversation" with Self about this but said he kept payments to De Sousa's guardian secret from Self and Townsend".

"Gassnola and Gatto acted as Adidas "ambassadors" at Kansas' Late Night at the Phog event in 2016".

"the case includes information that implies that Self and Gassnola had conversations about recruiting".
“A report Gassnola wrote did include that he ‘met with Coach Self and his staff ... talked recruiting targets ... assured them we are here to help,’” Wetzel tweeted.

****** OK NEWSFLASH! If ANYbody truly believes that Self didn't know about "payments" and/or that the Adidas guys were "taking care of what needed to be taken care of", then you'll also believe I have I am worth 2.5 billion dollars, have 37 toes, played hockey for the Edmonton Oilers and wore #99, and am running for President in 2020.
Perhaps "payments" were never discussed with Self because Self fully knew what the fuck was going on and didn't need to be actually told? Nah! Of course not!
Self sure as shit knew that the Adidas guys were out there meeting with the kids (and their families) and gee what were they discussing? The price of tea in China and how pretty Van Gogh's flower paintings are?
Yep, that's it.

3) "introduced evidence that in two instances KU did not properly fill out compliance paperwork for former player Billy Preston, according to a CBS Sports report. What type of evidence was presented was not included in the report".

"The revelation could show the university did not have a proper compliance method in place. How the NCAA will use this information is yet to be determined".

"Previously, the Journal-World reported that if the NCAA takes action in the case, it will likely look to see if the university has a proper compliance system on checking if players are eligible to play. If the university does not have a proper system, the NCAA could charge the university with lack of institutional control, a major NCAA violation".

******AGAIN we may be slammed with a "lack of institutional control" accusation - and then punishment?
David Reed might want to start packing his bags.

You ladies and fellas may choose to minimize all of this this, maximize all of this, or be indifferent, but I am going to go ahead and believe that "we" are far from "in the clear" - until proven otherwise.
Yep, guilty until proven innocent - which is truly the American way being that if you are accused of something "they" have to prove your guilt but you sure as heck have to prove your innocence too.
I believe we are far from being 100% "innocent" and while some of you may feel it's somewhat difficult for them to prove our guilt, I believe it's even more difficult for us to prove our "innocence".
Don't get me wrong, I sure as heck hope we come away from this unscathed - and who knows, maybe we will, but this is exposing college athletics and those involved all across the board for what they are.
A BIG business and pure SCUM.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:18 pm So far, the only thing that Silvio is on the hook for is $2,500, that's just a 5 or 6 game suspension and restitution.
So you believe 1 guy, but not the other?

Is that because 1 guy only "knew of" a smaller payment? Or am I missing something?

Didn't another person say there was a $25k repayment of the under Armour money? It's not like we just get a pass for the under armour money since they're not our sponsor. He/we would still be very much "on the hook" for that if it's true.

(None of that is meant to sound like a smart ass, it's just hard to follow everything going on)
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
shindig

Post by shindig »

So for the Final 4 banner unveiling, do they unveil the banner and then drop it into a shredder?