Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:29 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 pm

1. This is obviously huge for KU with respect to Silvio's availability. Unless we know something the NCAA does not (yet) know, there's zero reason to sit him now.

I guess the main reason would be so that we don't open ourselves up to having to vacate any additional wins...and by the letter of the "law" that could very well be a possibility.
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I don't care. Silvio (and the other kids that are, to use a far-too-general term, implicated) leaving school because maybe? is not the right result here.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

SDS doesn't have to leave school, but he probably shouldn't play in games if we want to be on the safe side. Especially if we think/know the allegations are true. Self probably hates the ncaa, but he's greatly benefitted from the system too, so he might be hesitant to risk his HOF reputation taking a potentially messy stand where lots of wins are vacated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Are these the same trials in which we’re soon to hear recorded phone calls of Sean Miller offering cash for Deandre?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:39 pm SDS doesn't have to leave school, but he probably shouldn't play in games if we want to be on the safe side. Especially if we think/know the allegations are true. Self probably hates the ncaa, but he's greatly benefitted from the system too, so he might be hesitant to risk his HOF reputation taking a potentially messy stand where lots of wins are vacated.
If he's not going to play in games, it doesn't make any sense for him to stay around.

And as for Self's reputation...I think the entire sport's reputation is already good and fucked, so I'm not sure what it matters. I don't expect it'll come out that we were any different from any high-major school in this stuff (in fact, economics would say we should have a bit less incentive to cheat too egregiously, since we have so many built-in advantages like history/tradition/notoriety, fancier dorms facilities, etc.).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, given the era and the widespread practice and so many schools and coaches implicated, I think history will look back and consider the most rotten party involved to be the ncaa. (Edit: more so than any particular coach or school, short of something totally egregious)

And in SDS’s specific case - considering we were in such a hurry to get him on campus precisely because of Preston’s ineligibity, it would be at the very least ironic if anyone actually paid one player to come play in lieu of another player who couldn’t play cuz he got paid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What I hope - and of course I'm seeing this through crimson and blue glasses - is that there's no fucking way we'd play the hyper-conservative card with Preston's situation...only to end up playing a knowingly-compromised guy in his place. I just cannot believe we'd be so stupid with SDS after being so cautious with Preston.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Unfortunately Self has a long history of having to decide to play or not play guys who have been in "trouble" in terms of possible NCAA violations and/or suspension - off the top of my head including but not limited to.....

DJax, Brandon, Shady, the Twinkees, Selby, Ben and Jamari, Vick, and I am sure there are several others I am forgetting.

Seems as recently as last season our compliance department (which supposedly was basically non-existent back in the days around when Self started - wtf?) has proven to be incompetent.
Sorry, but in terms of SDS, I am as conservative as possible in terms of playing him.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i've often wondered what the compliance folks (6 of 'em?) are doing, and if they aren't catching on to things like Preston's car earlier in the process (would seem an obvious red flag), wtf is all that money getting spent on?
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:45 pm What I hope - and of course I'm seeing this through crimson and blue glasses - is that there's no fucking way we'd play the hyper-conservative card with Preston's situation...only to end up playing a knowingly-compromised guy in his place. I just cannot believe we'd be so stupid with SDS after being so cautious with Preston.
I agree. I don't think Self knew.

...but we do know now, so.....
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 am i've often wondered what the compliance folks (6 of 'em?) are doing, and if they aren't catching on to things like Preston's car earlier in the process (would seem an obvious red flag), wtf is all that money getting spent on?
Probably making sure we don't provide cream cheese or jelly ("extras") for bagels at team functions.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 am i've often wondered what the compliance folks (6 of 'em?) are doing, and if they aren't catching on to things like Preston's car earlier in the process (would seem an obvious red flag), wtf is all that money getting spent on?
Probably making sure we don't provide cream cheese... at team functions.
Leave Mrs. DC out of this.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 am
Probably making sure we don't provide cream cheese or jelly ("extras") for bagels at team functions.
Especially at the beginning of the year, the compliance paperwork exercises across all sports are overwhelming. Compliance staff can only handle so much.
Deleted User 75

To an extent I feel for them. It's not like the players or their families or the coaching staffs (if complicit) just admit to taking money or breaking rules. And they can only work with the info that is provided. It's not like they've got some ultra all access pass to financial records from banks etc. If they players families aren't honest then I imagine it's kind of hard to get caught up.... well unless the fbi gets involved and then we see how widespread this is.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's also the case that The Rules - which are over 400 pages last I checked - present a needlessly complicated compliance standard.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Fish - I agree they are "needlessly complicated" but for people who are completely dedicated to adhering to them I would figure they aren't rocket science. Maybe I should cut the compliance department some slack and realize as Illini alluded to, if the players aren't straight forward it's difficult to know exactly everything they have done - and haven't done that might be a violation.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/a ... M_ID=11600
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Twitter right now (which is recapping the morning's testimony of Bowen's dad) is a great example why I'm just not overly concerned about our fate in all of this. Bowen's testimony touched, briefly, on maybe a dozen different teams, and an equal variety of ways they would get money to Bowen.

This is one guy, in a trial focusing on one shoe company. There's just no way the NCAA is going to run all of this "evidence" to ground, nope. Now if it turns out there's a clear chain of communication showing that we had Adidas pay for Silvio...ok, we're screwed. But merely being "named" in this stuff won't mean shit.
Deleted User 75

Whether the NCAA decides to punish or not, I think if we believe the SDS allegations to be true then we should sit him because the NCAA won't have an answer 1 way or the other before the season anyway.

But part of me is with Fish where I'd be okay if we say fuck it and play him knowing it could likely result in this entire year being vacated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If the entire year could be vacated, then pretty sure it would have to be for a whole lotta schools.
Deleted User 75

Yup. Not sure why that should impact the decision to vacate or not to vacate, but it seems to be the opinion of many that it will have an impact...which I guess is good for us since SDS has already played in games.
Deleted User 75

Anybody know how many other current college players expected to play this season are also named in the investigation/trial?

Seems like most are already gone to the pros.