Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 62

Shoe money trial

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Hmmmm... attorney admits to start the trial that Adidas paid 20k to get De Sousa to come to KU.

Also stated that the money was paid with the approval of coaches....but doesn't specifically list what schools and coaches.

This could get ugly.
NDballer13

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by NDballer13 »

If the attorney admits to paying him, or is guardian, there's no way KU can play him. Can they? FF is likely gone. You can't risk two seasons.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd say you can't play him until there's some clarification on the case.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I'd say you sit him until there is some clarification by the NCAA.

We didn't know during the final 4, and the NCAA had cleared him, so that's not on us imo.....but we know now, and the NCAA won't clear or declare ineligible until the FBI investigation is over. So my vote is he sits.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Link?

Where you guys hearing this?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if this is for real...

Embiid
Cliff
Cheick
Dok
Preston

...are we really gonna go 6 fucking ears in a row down a big man?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Last edited by colbond on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited link to remove mobile
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:45 pm if this is for real...

Embiid
Cliff
Cheick
Dok
Preston

More concerning part is that 4 of those 6 years are because of eligibility issues.
BLACKMILD33

Post by BLACKMILD33 »

This was just the opening statement they're not even done looking at other stuff
Last edited by BLACKMILD33 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Since fish isn’t here yet lemme say it for him:

God Save The Rules?
Deleted User 75

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:45 pm if this is for real...

Embiid
Cliff
Cheick
Dok
Preston

More concerning part is that 4 of those 6 years are because of eligibility issues.
Ya for sure. Bad luck or a trend?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

If I'm KU I plead the fifth and deny, deny AND deny AND hope that there isn't ANY trace that links them to approving or having knowledge of payments going to players. If that scenario plays out I can't see how the NCAA could suspend or retract from KU without finding the "smoking gun."
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, as long as KU can maintain separation I’ll be cautiously optimistic.

This sort of shit is the only time I kinda feel jealous of Duke, and how they can just indemnify ourselves with a “thorough investigation” tweet like an hour later.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

God Save the Rules.

And I really, really wish Bill would just come right out and dare the NCAA to do something. I have a bad feeling that the NCAA is going to do some chickenshit thing like say, "you're playing guys at your own risk, and a previous clearance won't save you if that clearance was based on inaccurate or incomplete information."

You know, something entirely arbitrary, vague and inscrutable.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:28 pm God Save the Rules.

And I really, really wish Bill would just come right out and dare the NCAA to do something. I have a bad feeling that the NCAA is going to do some chickenshit thing like say, "you're playing guys at your own risk, and a previous clearance won't save you if that clearance was based on inaccurate or incomplete information."

You know, something entirely arbitrary, vague and inscrutable.
I sort of wish Bill would too, but not over this in this situation. It sounds pretty likely it's true about SDS and Preston, and Bill is a HOF coach so I think he's going to agree that if they broke rules behind his back (whether he didn't know or not) that they should sit out. Assuming he didn't know, that move of taking money (whether I agree with it being wrong or not) put our program and the integrity of our coaching staff in jeopardy....self isn't dumb, I'm sure he knows this happens regularly, but if you're going to make moves like that then you better be smart and not get caught or its on you.

And you're definitely right that sounds exactly what the NCAA will do in the next few weeks.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

I can minimize this situation (like everyone else?) or I can maximize it too.
Minimize - Much a do about nothing. Nothing to see here. Move along and business as usual.
Maximize - Sous will never wear a KU uniform again. At least not during a game.
If Self knew, turned a blind eye, and it can be proven - he may have coached his last game at KU.
I'll go a head and presume it will be something in the middle but I do think "guilty" or "innocent", no way Sous plays until he is proven innocent. Which I would bet my 25 to someone's 10 that he isn't innocent.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What does "innocent" mean? I would guess that (a) Self has a lot more actual knowledge of this stuff than most people would care to believe, and (b) we haven't done anything outside the norm for high-major programs.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

gotta sit him. Unlike last year, there are more options at the 4 and 5 this year that should let HCBS manipulate the look.
NLowrider

Post by NLowrider »

De Sousa likely will be similar to Preston last year. With the way the NCAA changes their damn minds on penalties anything could happen at this point.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

Question: What if neither De Sousa nor Kansas were aware of alleged payments? What happens in that case? Is it still lumped in the same boat as every other violation? If this was strictly between De Sousa's guardian and Gotti/Adidas, how can De Sousa and Kansas be punished.

And I'm not naive, I understand that most coaches know this goes on, they're just smart enough to not be involved and/or made aware (plausible deniability defense).

I do agree that you probably have to sit him until the trial has ended and all evidence has come to light.