KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
Judy_Jayhawk

KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

NCAA rules experts say; chances of vacating Final Four appearance less clear...

found on dotcom

Although he is not on trial, Silvio De Sousa could be ruled ineligible to play basketball for KU based on the outcome of a federal trial underway in New York, NCAA experts told the Journal-World.

Less certain is whether the University of Kansas may have to forfeit some of last year’s wins and erase its Final Four appearance and conference championship from the record books.

Former NCAA officials and an attorney on Wednesday told the Journal-World that KU may have a defense against NCAA sanctions if it can prove that athletic department officials were unaware that money was paid to get De Sousa to attend KU. But they also said there are ways KU could be punished even if the facts show university leaders weren’t directly aware of the alleged payment.

Much depends on the outcome of the federal fraud case that began this week and is expected to last through this month — or right before KU’s regular season begins on Nov. 6.

At that trial, Casey Donnelly, an attorney for former Adidas executive Jim Gatto, on Tuesday admitted that her client paid $20,000 to get Silvio De Sousa to attend the University of Kansas to play basketball.

William H. Brooks, an Alabama lawyer who has represented universities facing NCAA infractions, told the Journal-World on Wednesday the admission could make De Sousa ineligible to play for KU in the future, but may not result in sanctions for the university.

“As the information comes out, the first thing that comes to mind is that it could create immediate eligibility problems for the player, which is different than saying there has been an institutional violation,” he said. “It depends in part, in respect to these payments, not only the source of the funds but who’s directing the payment.”

Gatto, Adidas consultant Merl Code and aspiring basketball agent Christian Dawkins are facing conspiracy and fraud charges. All three men have pleaded not guilty.

The federal prosecutors consider schools like KU to be the victims because they were unaware of the payments to their players. Defense lawyers, though, placed the blame largely on the schools’ lust for basketball glory, saying blue-chip athletes were used to attract tens of millions of dollars in donations and revenues.

So far in the trial, no KU coaches have specifically been named, but Gatto’s attorney said he was acting on the wishes of coaches in general.

Also at question is whether De Sousa himself knew of the alleged payment, or if only De Sousa’s legal guardian knew of the payment. From a rules standpoint, the distinction is likely moot, officials said.

Cam Newton, the Heisman- and national championship-winning quarterback for Auburn University who is now the quarterback for the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, escaped any punishment after the NCAA ruled he was unaware of his father’s pay-to-play scheme.

But the case was a catalyst that changed NCAA rules, which were changed to include parents as agents, the Associated Press reported in 2012.

De Sousa will likely not be so lucky as Newton. Brooks said the current rule means a parent or guardian accepting money would also disqualify a player from eligibility.

“The effect would be the same on the player,” he said.

Brooks also said it’s possible the NCAA may be able to connect the dots and find the universities aren’t as innocent as the federal prosecutors think, but to do that would likely require an NCAA investigation to substantiate it.

He said there is a range of penalties that could apply when an ineligible player competes, but how the NCAA would decide those sanctions depends in part on whether the school knew the player was ineligible.

But if the university did not know, Brooks said he doesn’t know how the NCAA would move forward. It’s possible KU basketball could be facing the vacation of wins if De Sousa is ruled ineligible, but Brooks thinks the university would also have a case against that.

“I’d imagine the institution would argue there shouldn’t be any vacation of wins,” he said. “But whether or not wins should be vacated is hashed out between the institution and the committee on infractions, ultimately.”

If the NCAA chooses to take action after the trial, a university playing the victim may not be a good enough defense from the NCAA imposing other sanctions, said Josephine Potuto, a University of Nebraska College of Law professor and former chair of the NCAA committee on infractions.

She said she did not know any of the details of KU’s situation, but spoke about how the situation could affect a university generally.

If a university played a student-athlete who received money from outside sources without the university’s knowledge, the NCAA could look into the university’s methods of tracking such information. If the university did everything it could to make sure such things did not happen and was the victim of a “rogue booster,” then it may escape sanctions.

“If it has a good system in place, then it’s in pretty good shape,” she said.

But if the university's systems to monitor those issues are not up to snuff, the NCAA may charge the universities with lack of institutional control, a major NCAA violation, Potuto said.

“In that case, that university would have failed in its responsibility of institutional control, and it would be a major case with potential penalties, notwithstanding the fact that the university didn’t know what was going on,” Potuto said. “If in fact the evidence is the university didn’t know, you then move over to whether the reason why it didn’t know was because it didn’t have a fully engaged compliance oversight system to avoid violations.”

Another wrinkle in the situation is that any ruling on KU would be one of the first to be made since the Rice Commission completed its work to strengthen enforcement rules in college basketball. One of the rule changes may allow the NCAA to take quicker action against De Sousa or KU than it would have previously.

The commission chaired by former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice modified the rules for the NCAA’s enforcement staff, allowing the NCAA investigations staff to use information that is established by a third party, such as a criminal trial.

“They don’t have to do it over again,” Brooks said. “That’s something that might ultimately come in play, which facts are actually established in the trial.”

Brooks said the defendants’ lawyers claiming to have paid players does not establish fact just yet.

Tom Yeager, retired commissioner for the Colonial Athletic Association who also served on the NCAA committee on infractions, told the Journal-World on Tuesday it is possible De Sousa would be ruled ineligible and KU could be facing code violations.

On Wednesday, Yeager said how the NCAA moves forward with the facts may depend on the results of the court case. The federal government and the NCAA could look at the same case and have different objectives, he said.

But how the NCAA will look at the situation is yet to be determined.

“The fans are probably very anxious about what it means, but it’s just got to play itself out,” Yeager said.
NLowrider

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by NLowrider »

De Sousa is good but not a generational talent. I don't see why any of the coaches would have taken the risk.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

...because this is every single high-major recruit that doesn’t come from money.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i hope the ncaa tries to vacate wins, not necessarily KU’s, and gets a suit filed against them
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I hope the NCAA let's us know that as long as we sit SDS moving forward they won't punish us for not knowing last year since they also cleared him and didn't know.

We play him this year and we essentially are saying "fuck your rules" to the NCAA and that seems like a dangerous path to go down. They've already said they're not changing the rules to allow players to be paid. The Rice committee essentially doubled down on what's already in place with few concessions to the other side.
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 am i hope the ncaa tries to vacate wins, not necessarily KU’s, and gets a suit filed against them
Has that worked before? Dozens of schools have had wins vacated in the past, but I'm unaware of any situations where they've filed a suit and had those wins/titles/etc. reinstated.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not about reinstating wins, and i honestly don’t know if there is a legal route, but if it can be shown that programs aren’t being treated/punished equally, it would seem there should be some avenue of recourse...maybe not
Deleted User 75

We are voluntarily part of the NCAA...which will probably make some sort of legal recourse challenging on something like this.

1st things are 1st though, and for any of that to matter we likely need there to be ZERO evidence that Kansas coaches knew about this stuff beforehand.

The way we lied about the Preston situation to the media makes me nervous. Not the lie itself, but how strange it all felt at the time.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 am i hope the ncaa tries to vacate wins, not necessarily KU’s, and gets a suit filed against them
Spencer Strasmore has vowed to tear down the ncaa brick by brick.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

Love that show!
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am We are voluntarily part of the NCAA...which will probably make some sort of legal recourse challenging on something like this.

1st things are 1st though, and for any of that to matter we likely need there to be ZERO evidence that Kansas coaches knew about this stuff beforehand.

The way we lied about the Preston situation to the media makes me nervous. Not the lie itself, but how strange it all felt at the time.
Sure, the car was a main issue, but wasn't it stated multiple times they were looking at the financing of the car? Basically saying "we are looking at where they got the money". Tough to call that a flat out lie. It's not saying Adidas paid him, but saying they are looking at finances isn't that far off.
Deleted User 75

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:35 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am We are voluntarily part of the NCAA...which will probably make some sort of legal recourse challenging on something like this.

Sure, the car was a main issue, but wasn't it stated multiple times they were looking at the financing of the car? Basically saying "we are looking at where they got the money". Tough to call that a flat out lie. It's not saying Adidas paid him, but saying they are looking at finances isn't that far off.
I was also speaking about the magical missed curfew several days before the entire car story started to leak that protected us to an extent...maybe it was true and he missed curfew and it was a blessing in disguise....but I'm a little skeptical about the chances of that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Oh of course that was all pretext.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

NCAA is as incompetent as the IRS. Whatever they decide, fuck them.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

lobster wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 pm NCAA is as incompetent as the IRS. Whatever they decide, fuck them.
All very true. But we still have to live by their rules. And suffer their consequences if we don't.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Happy to see you here.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

So, how long can we expect DeSousa to be out of our rotation? Thank God we have Lawson, but we need DeSousa as well.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

We’re fine without DeSousa, he’s likely out for a significant amount of time.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

lobster wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:51 pm So, how long can we expect DeSousa to be out of our rotation? Thank God we have Lawson, but we need DeSousa as well.
Most realistic is forever.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yeah i don't think we should expect to see de sousa play in games again. he can still help us out a ton tho. anchor our scout team. be a stud in practice and push the team all year