KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by Deleted User 75 »

They didn't investigate?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

they didn't not investigate, I guess. They just found no evidence of a rules violation "based on the information available."

Basically, neither the jeweler nor Thomas said anything more about it, and the NCAA never bothered asking.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... s-up-zilch
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:33 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 am No one is innocent...that's the point. Who is Adidas competing with? If they are giving kids $100k it's because Nike or UA or both is offering $90k. Don't try to defend Duke, they we're just lucky FBI were only taping Adidas guys.
Which is why I've said numerous times "we got unlucky".

But that doesn't really matter. The ncaa is going to punish the people who got caught...I'm not defending Duke. But they didnt get caught like us and Louisville (and orhers) did.
But what was really proven against Kansas or Kansas coaches? KT said we would have to find a way to match an offer (from Duke or Nike) for Zion? A wink and a couple of nods Not a smoking gun. Even with the NCAA, it's not what you think, it's what you prove. SDS might, I doubt, be rule ineligible but Kansas won't be touched. I think the most they have on SDS is $2500 for summer school. That's repayment and 9 games.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 am
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am He was given $2500. Pay it back and take a 9-games sitting in street clothes and call it even. His people asked for more but neither the NCAA or the FBI can prove that he actually got more. How can he sit and Zion and others plays?
the NCAA doesn't have to prove anything.

And you can keep leaving out the Maryland stuff, but just because he didn't go there doesn't make those allegations irrelevant. It's very much in play, but I think he can potentially escape that since not as much evidence was presented relating to that.

Please stop comparing the Zion situation to this and thinking it's apples to apples. Zion is mentioned in a text (by OUR schools staff, not Dukes)...there was no evidence presented that indicated Zion took anything from us or Duke, just that our staff was willing to meet whatever wish list his camp potentially had.....do we all think Zion took something? Yes, absolutely. but there was no evidence presented related to Zion or Duke.
That Maryland "stuff" is some guy saying that he heard that a Maryland booster gave SDS's guardian money. The guy who said it on record wasnt involved. That's no different than KT saying an offer is out there from Zion's family.

The whole point is that the ncaa isn't just punishing SDS for what is likely; a rumored $2,500 that no one has ever actually proven happened.

Josh Selby sat out 9 games for a proven case of receiving more than $5,000. DeSousa would have been back after 5 games if he was only being punished for the $2,500. The ncaa is punishing him by doing nothing because they THINK he might have received a bunch of money froma MD booster. Zero proof. Just a statement from someone who was not in any way involved in the alleged payment.

Yet KU is punished for a rumor while Zion and Duke are celebrated as the most amazing things ever despite a rumor of a MUCH larger payout. It's fucking ridiculous.
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:33 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 am No one is innocent...that's the point. Who is Adidas competing with? If they are giving kids $100k it's because Nike or UA or both is offering $90k. Don't try to defend Duke, they we're just lucky FBI were only taping Adidas guys.
Which is why I've said numerous times "we got unlucky".

But that doesn't really matter. The ncaa is going to punish the people who got caught...I'm not defending Duke. But they didnt get caught like us and Louisville (and orhers) did.
But what was really proven against Kansas or Kansas coaches? KT said we would have to find a way to match an offer (from Duke or Nike) for Zion? A wink and a couple of nods Not a smoking gun. Even with the NCAA, it's not what you think, it's what you prove. SDS might, I doubt, be rule ineligible but Kansas won't be touched. I think the most they have on SDS is $2500 for summer school. That's repayment and 9 games.
The SDS stuff is small potatoes compared to lack of institutional control that they could hit us with for the texts/phone calls/ and regular meetings with someone who has admitted to funneling players to Adidas schools.....which is exactly why Self isn't throwing a public temper tantrum and bashing the ncaa with how they're handling the SDS instance....that's not even mentioning Billy Preston and that aspect of it.

What's been proven is that our staff had a close relationship with a former Adidas employee who has admitted to funneling players to Kansas...and that's plenty to get our program in trouble.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm
Yet KU is punished for a rumor while Zion and Duke are celebrated as the most amazing things ever despite a rumor of a MUCH larger payout. It's fucking ridiculous.
There is no meat to the Zion rumor though....there is nothing from Duke or his camp. Only from a Kansas coach, and regardless if that pretty much assures that there was foul play on the other side, that's nothing similar to what these former Adidas employees are admitting was happening at Adidas schools...there's no real evidence. You can't suspend a duke player because a Kansas coach was willing to break rules to get him on campus, unless there's some evidence that Duke did the same (and while we all know they did, there is not hard evidence of foul play by their staff).

Whining and doing the "but.but.but Duke!" thing is pointless. Yes, other schools cheat...but we got caught and need to accept responsibility that our program wasn't on the "clean" end of the spectrum. It sucks, but it's reality.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:01 pm they didn't not investigate, I guess. They just found no evidence of a rules violation "based on the information available."

Basically, neither the jeweler nor Thomas said anything more about it, and the NCAA never bothered asking.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... s-up-zilch
"Found No evidence"...who gives a shit, since, "The NCAA doesn't have to prove anything."
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

If I were DeSousa I'd do what Preston did last year and go overseas as soon as finals are over. His guardian has probably screwed him forever so far as college ball is concerned. Also it probably wouldn't hurt to hire a lawyer and sue the greedy bastard. If the NCAA does anything at all I fully expect them to declare him ineligible
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd wait out the season if I were DeSousa.
Is/was he as heralded as Preston coming out?
Did he show enough in his time at KU to entice NBA scouts to take a chance on him?

It sucks he's in this spot.
But for him, what would be ideal, is if what Self has been alluding to happens ( NCAA makes a call - LOL ) and he can figure out what to do after that point.
Deleted User 75

Basketball outcome aside...I hope KU/the coaching staff make sure he's able to complete his degree for free at any time in the future if he wants to.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd favor some sort of system that would allow for accrual of semesters for free.
Pass a semester, get a free semester in the future.
Not that it would matter much for the kids that leave early and find gigs or don't want to go back to school but for the kids that do.

i.e. you pass 4 semesters ( two years of college ), you have two more years free later down the line.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:39 pm I'd wait out the season if I were DeSousa.
Is/was he as heralded as Preston coming out?
Did he show enough in his time at KU to entice NBA scouts to take a chance on him?

It sucks he's in this spot.
But for him, what would be ideal, is if what Self has been alluding to happens ( NCAA makes a call - LOL ) and he can figure out what to do after that point.
Probably Not preston. Not cliff. Not diallo.

I actually think the best thing for SDS to do is keep developing at Kansas even if he never plays a game this year....he's not going to get the same level of coaching trying to claw thru the g league or some mid level overseas spot. Once you get into that arena it's a dog eat dog world.

I'm curious to see where preston is by the end of this year....there's a thin line between being Diallo and being Cliff.

Side note: diallo looks taller than he did at KU. He got good minutes last night playing alongside Davis at times and Randle at times since Mirotic is hurt.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Diallo is (yet another) example of how meaningful reform would be awesome for college basketball. Wouldn’t it be great if players like him weren’t so discouraged from leaving early?
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:34 pm Diallo is (yet another) example of how meaningful reform would be awesome for college basketball. Wouldn’t it be great if players like him weren’t so discouraged from leaving early?
Cliff. Preston. The list goes on.

Diallo appears to be 1 of the few that lands in a good spot and has some good guidance. He's a lot better than he was. I can really see him developing into a rotation player in the next few years...so it's possible the NBA route worked out better for him...but he's in the minority.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 am I don't see how we beat Duke w/o De Sousa. At the very least, he's an important part of our lineup in w/ that matchup.
I didn't know duke was on our schedule?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

randylahey wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:33 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 am I don't see how we beat Duke w/o De Sousa. At the very least, he's an important part of our lineup in w/ that matchup.
4/8/19
Deleted User 75

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 pm
4/8/19
Or 4/6/19
Deleted User 75

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 pm
Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 pm

4/8/19
Or 4/6/19
Or never.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i bet they go out in the round of 16
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Was CNB talking past, current, or future tense?
If past - March 25th 2018. 26 minutes, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 4 points.
If current - He's not playing against Duke.
If future - Hopefully he's playing. Against Duke or not.