KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled ineligible...

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:33 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm
Yet KU is punished for a rumor while Zion and Duke are celebrated as the most amazing things ever despite a rumor of a MUCH larger payout. It's fucking ridiculous.
There is no meat to the Zion rumor though....there is nothing from Duke or his camp. Only from a Kansas coach, and regardless if that pretty much assures that there was foul play on the other side, that's nothing similar to what these former Adidas employees are admitting was happening at Adidas schools...there's no real evidence. You can't suspend a duke player because a Kansas coach was willing to break rules to get him on campus, unless there's some evidence that Duke did the same (and while we all know they did, there is not hard evidence of foul play by their staff).

Whining and doing the "but.but.but Duke!" thing is pointless. Yes, other schools cheat...but we got caught and need to accept responsibility that our program wasn't on the "clean" end of the spectrum. It sucks, but it's reality.
There is no meat to the SDS rumor, either. There is zero evidence that this Maryland booster payment happened. Frankly, to my knowledge there isn't any actual evidence that the $2,500 payment from the Adidas guy actually happened, either, other than the fact that he said it did. Again, how is that any different than what there is regarding the alleged Maryland booster payment to SDS's guardian? If you can't suspend a Duke player because a Kansas guy heard there was a demand for payment before Zion chose Duke then how can you suspend a Kansas player because an Adidas guy heard that there was a payment from a Maryland guy to SDS's guardian?

My point isn't to try to sick the ncaa on Zion/Duke. My point is that it is absurd that the ncaa is doing something to a Kansas player that it is not doing to a Duke player. I don't care if a ref calls a game tight, so long as they call it both directions. Same with the ncaa. You can't apply one set of rules to one group and another to a different group.

It is clear that the ncaa is punishing SDS for more than the alleged $2,500 because if that was what they were punishing him for then he would be several games into his season already. Oh, and the ncaa hasn't actually punished him at all. They are punishing him by just ignoring him, which is akin to leaving a guy in jail for months on end just for jaywalking without ever giving him a court date because you THINK he might have committed a more serious offense.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:46 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:34 pm Diallo is (yet another) example of how meaningful reform would be awesome for college basketball. Wouldn’t it be great if players like him weren’t so discouraged from leaving early?
Cliff. Preston. The list goes on.

Diallo appears to be 1 of the few that lands in a good spot and has some good guidance. He's a lot better than he was. I can really see him developing into a rotation player in the next few years...so it's possible the NBA route worked out better for him...but he's in the minority.
Diallo has been out of college for three years. I would hope that he looks better. But I would be willing to bet that if he was in his senior season right now at Kansas that he would look better now than he does in his career low 10 minutes per game averaging a carer low in points and rebounds in the NBA.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Ok....so a guy would look better against college players than NBA players. Not sure that would mean he'd actually be better as a player (he wouldn't). He's been learning under Anthony Davis for 3 years, that's a benefit you can't replicate in college with limited coaching time.

I'm going to assume you haven't watched him in any of the games he's gotten 15+ minutes since you're pointing out his career low in minutes...even though that's completely irrelevant to how he's improved, since he's playing behind 3 VERY good NBA players. He looks good when he's in. He doesn't look lost.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 am There is no meat to the SDS rumor, either. There is zero evidence that this Maryland booster payment happened. Frankly, to my knowledge there isn't any actual evidence that the $2,500 payment from the Adidas guy actually happened, either, other than the fact that he said it did. Again, how is that any different than what there is regarding the alleged Maryland booster payment to SDS's guardian? If you can't suspend a Duke player because a Kansas guy heard there was a demand for payment before Zion chose Duke then how can you suspend a Kansas player because an Adidas guy heard that there was a payment from a Maryland guy to SDS's guardian?
You're right. Nothing to see here.

(You can't really believe that nonsense can you?...that Duke is equally exposed and implicated as Kansas in this whole thing? LOL....)
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:33 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm
Yet KU is punished for a rumor while Zion and Duke are celebrated as the most amazing things ever despite a rumor of a MUCH larger payout. It's fucking ridiculous.
There is no meat to the Zion rumor though....there is nothing from Duke or his camp. Only from a Kansas coach, and regardless if that pretty much assures that there was foul play on the other side, that's nothing similar to what these former Adidas employees are admitting was happening at Adidas schools...there's no real evidence. You can't suspend a duke player because a Kansas coach was willing to break rules to get him on campus, unless there's some evidence that Duke did the same (and while we all know they did, there is not hard evidence of foul play by their staff).

Whining and doing the "but.but.but Duke!" thing is pointless. Yes, other schools cheat...but we got caught and need to accept responsibility that our program wasn't on the "clean" end of the spectrum. It sucks, but it's reality.
They are punishing him by just ignoring him, which is akin to leaving a guy in jail for months on end just for jaywalking without ever giving him a court date because you THINK he might have committed a more serious offense.
Take it to the politics board.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 am There is no meat to the SDS rumor, either. There is zero evidence that this Maryland booster payment happened. Frankly, to my knowledge there isn't any actual evidence that the $2,500 payment from the Adidas guy actually happened, either, other than the fact that he said it did. Again, how is that any different than what there is regarding the alleged Maryland booster payment to SDS's guardian? If you can't suspend a Duke player because a Kansas guy heard there was a demand for payment before Zion chose Duke then how can you suspend a Kansas player because an Adidas guy heard that there was a payment from a Maryland guy to SDS's guardian?

(You can't really believe that nonsense can you?...that Duke is equally exposed and implicated as Kansas in this whole thing? LOL....)
You just don't get it. The ncaa should not be in the business of punishing players for what they BELIEVE happened. They have as much evidence of improper activity by SDS as they do by Zion. Zero. Yet they are still punishing SDS without actually finding or announcing a violation of any kind. I have a problem with that.

I don't know how to explain this in any different way to help you understand. Maybe it simply isn't possible.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:06 am Ok....so a guy would look better against college players than NBA players. Not sure that would mean he'd actually be better as a player (he wouldn't). He's been learning under Anthony Davis for 3 years, that's a benefit you can't replicate in college with limited coaching time.

I'm going to assume you haven't watched him in any of the games he's gotten 15+ minutes since you're pointing out his career low in minutes...even though that's completely irrelevant to how he's improved, since he's playing behind 3 VERY good NBA players. He looks good when he's in. He doesn't look lost.
And I would bet that in his 4th season at KU, he would no longer look lost, either. I know you can only compare where he was then to where he is now so I get your stance.

I am happy for Diallo and glad he is improving. He was a raw talent years away from his ceiling. I hope he gets an opportunity to play more soon or he will be at a contract point where his production will be replaced by a cheaper rookie.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:11 am

You just don't get it. The ncaa should not be in the business of punishing players for what they BELIEVE happened. They have as much evidence of improper activity by SDS as they do by Zion. Zero. Yet they are still punishing SDS without actually finding or announcing a violation of any kind. I have a problem with that.
Sigh (this isn't worth it, but...)

Dude, the people from Adidas who were found guilty of paying players are admitting these players were paid.

This isn't some giant hoax. It happened.

There is no Nike (or Adidas) employee admitting that Zion was paid. There is someone doing that for SDS....so that's not the same amount of "evidence".

There are no text messages from Duke staff.

There has been nobody that is a proven (and admitted) person who funneled players to Adidas schools say that they regularly had meetings with duke staff...

Stick your head back in the sand.

Your theory of "duke does it too, so you can't punish us" is ridiculous and silly. Duke didn't get caught like we did.

What amount of evidence are you needing to admit to yourself that this actually happened?
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

KT and KU can use the “you tell recruits what they want to hear” excuse for 99% of all allegations. Sure it “sounds” bad that KT said some things, but they all fall under the used car salesman shtick that is college recruiting. Certainly not the best practice to say “no, you take a hike Blue Chip recruit. The years of work we put in are over!”

That’s all grey area up for interpretation from fans and NCAA. The only thing concrete, is a student athlete was given a class for free.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

Soklous wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 am KT and KU can use the “you tell recruits what they want to hear” excuse for 99% of all allegations. Sure it “sounds” bad that KT said some things, but they all fall under the used car salesman shtick that is college recruiting. Certainly not the best practice to say “no, you take a hike Blue Chip recruit. The years of work we put in are over!”

That’s all grey area up for interpretation from fans and NCAA. The only thing concrete, is a student athlete was given a class for free.
I agree.

And I imagine this all plays a part in why we are being extremely cautious with SDS, both in holding him out, and also how we aren't in the media publicly ridiculing the ncaa....our staff probably (definitely) knows SDS broke some rules....we realize SDS eligibility is small potatoes compared to what could possibly happen if the ncaa gets it in their mind that they need to make an example out of the high profile programs involved.

My guess: SDS never plays for KU again. We don't vacate final 4 from last year. No major penalties are placed on KU or our coaches. We probably get some sort of probation and maybe small punishment.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:43 am
Soklous wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 am KT and KU can use the “you tell recruits what they want to hear” excuse for 99% of all allegations. Sure it “sounds” bad that KT said some things, but they all fall under the used car salesman shtick that is college recruiting. Certainly not the best practice to say “no, you take a hike Blue Chip recruit. The years of work we put in are over!”

I agree.

And I imagine this all plays a part in why we are being extremely cautious with SDS, both in holding him out, and also how we aren't in the media publicly ridiculing the ncaa....our staff probably (definitely) knows SDS broke some rules....we realize SDS eligibility is small potatoes compared to what could possibly happen if the ncaa gets it in their mind that they need to make an example out of the high profile programs involved.

My guess: SDS never plays for KU again. We don't vacate final 4 from last year. No major penalties are placed on KU or our coaches. We probably get some sort of probation and maybe small punishment.
The smart money is on the exact scenario you laid out, with the last thing being 50/50 at best.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it would be hilarious if the NCAA started doling out punishments in hindsight, given this happened a mere 11 months ago:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 59809.html

if we can't take their word for it that a guy is good to go, whose word can we take?

the clearinghouse is a fucking joke.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:19 am

Dude, the people from Adidas who were found guilty of paying players are admitting these players were paid.

There is no Nike (or Adidas) employee admitting that Zion was paid. There is someone doing that for SDS....so that's not the same amount of "evidence".

There has been nobody that is a proven (and admitted) person who funneled players to Adidas schools say that they regularly had meetings with duke staff...

Your theory of "duke does it too, so you can't punish us" is ridiculous and silly. Duke didn't get caught like we did.

What amount of evidence are you needing to admit to yourself that this actually happened?
OK, lets just remove Duke from this conversation. It is distracting you from the point.

1) What has been admitted to is a $2,500 payment. Do you agree with that?

2) According to the NCAA Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Guidelines document, punishment for receiving benefits greater than $1,000 is 30% of team's regular season game totals. KU plays 31 games this year. 30% of 31 is 9.3 games so round up to 10. Do you agree with that?

3) If SDS is being punished only for what has been discovered in the FBI investigation, SDS will sit for 10 games and then return to the court for KU's game Saturday, Dec. 22nd at Arizona State. Do you agree with that?

4) So if SDS is not on the court on Dec. 22nd against Arizona State then it is safe to assume that he is being punished for MORE than just what has been discovered and admitted to in court. Do you agree with that?

1) yes or no
2) yes or no
3) yes or no
4) yes or no
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:04 am
OK, lets just remove Duke from this conversation. It is distracting you from the point.

#1: What has been admitted to is a $2,500 payment. Do you agree with that?

#2: Accordimg to the NCAA Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Guidelines document, punishment for receiving benefits greater than $1,000 is 30% of team's regular season game totals. KU plays 31 games this year. 30% of 31 is 9.3 games so round up to 10. Do you agree with that?

#3: So if SDS is being punished only for what has been discovered in the FBI investigation, SDS will sit for 10 games and then return to the court for KU's game Saturday, Dec. 22nd at Arizona State. Do you agree with that?

#4: So if SDS is not on the court on Dec. 22nd against Arizona State then it is safe to assume that he is being punished for MORE than just what has been discovered and admitted to in court. Do you agree with that?
#1. Yes

#2. Yes

#3. No...the ncaa is not currently punishing SDS. Our staff is holding him out, likely because they're aware of the rules violations, and they want to stay in compliance with the rules. If SDS or his guardian has admitted to our staff that the other payment is true, we may be holding him out for that too....and regardless we aren't going to play him until there is an official ruling, and there is no guarantee that will happen before the season is over.

#4. Sort of.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:19 am

They admitted to paying with the coaches knowing because it was the bases of their defense. Can't defaud at someone's request. The jury didn't buy that. SDS denies taking the money. It is a He said/He said. Due process should still have the underlying belief that you are innocent until proven guilty. illy is starting it backward, again.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

LOL do you really believe what you're saying?

Gatto, did the exact opposite of what you just said (but details, right?). He said Self did not know, even though evidence made it pretty obvious that wasn't true...he and Self are friends. KT is texting and saying he'd provide improper benefits to get Zion to KU....

Come on man.

I'm not the ncaa. Stop pretending like you're in a police interogation trying to convince us all that KU didn't do anything. Stop playing the victim.

The only victim is SDS. Because of stupid rules.
Deleted User 75

This is a giant hoax. Adidas wasn't actually paying any of these guys.

Glad we got this all straightened out!

Thanks Lonestar!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:36 am LOL do you really believe what you're saying?

Gatto, did the exact opposite of what you just said (but details, right?). He said Self did not know, even though evidence made it pretty obvious that wasn't true...he and Self are friends. KT is texting and saying he'd provide improper benefits to get Zion to KU....

Come on man.

I'm not the ncaa. Stop pretending like you're in a police interogation trying to convince us all that KU didn't do anything. Stop playing the victim.

The only victim is SDS. Because of stupid rules.
For the 10th time, it doesn't matter what people believed happen. The NCAA should have to actually prove something happened and they should function on the timeframe of "if you initially ruled a player eligible for ncaa competition, they are eligible to play until you prove they are not eligible."

This whole bullshit about KU having hold him out because the ncaa might (or might not) have a problem with his eligibility is ridiculous.
Deleted User 75

It matters what KU believed happened too. We are uncomfortable enough that we are voluntarily holding him out.

And for the 10th time ( ;-) )...this isn't a court of law... the ncaa doesn't need to "prove beyond a reasonable doubt" that improper benefits happened.

Why are we doing this? We all know what most likely happened. Many of us have suspected this has been going on for decades. Most of us don't give a shit that it's happening and is widespread.

If KU thought/knew that SDS had done nothing wrong then he'd be playing.

If KU thought/knew that there wouldn't be ANY evidence possibly discovered that would implicate the player or program then he'd be playing (probably why Duke is playing Zion, they know there won't be a paper trail, and they won't show up on texts or phone calls).

Be mad at the ncaa for the rules they've created....that's what has caused this.
Deleted User 75

And for the 10th time ( ;-) ) SDS IS eligible to play. Right now. Literally.