Quentin Grimes

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Quentin Grimes

Post by jfish26 »

Another Deron Williams? Kansas’ Quentin Grimes reminds Bill Self of the former NBA All-Star

https://theathletic.com/607267/2018/10/ ... -all-star/

Some of this is really great!
In recent years, Self’s patented two-game offense has become a play, fist has become the primary offense and a narrative has changed. Once labeled as a big-man school under Self, Kansas has put a point guard on consecutive All-American teams, including Frank Mason, who was the National Player of the Year in 2017.

“Guard U,” Howard says with a grin.

Self has since recruited some big-time pro prospects on the perimeter: Xavier Henry, Ben McLemore, Andrew Wiggins and Kelly Oubre, but they all lacked one quality. “They were more shooters and scorers than playmakers,” Self says.

Williams was a playmaker, and in June 2016, Self found the guy to answer the question of what it would have been like had Williams run fist at Illinois. He called Howard.

“Quentin Grimes,” Self said from his seat at a tournament in Dallas. “He reminds me of D-Will, but he will be better.”

[...]

Grimes is learning to always be on the move when Lawson has the ball, and at a recent practice, the big man found Grimes cutting to the basket. He cocked the ball back as if he was going to dunk it until Silvio De Sousa met him at the rim. Instead of trying to dunk on De Sousa, Grimes adjusted in mid-air, going underneath De Sousa’s left arm and dropped the ball over the rim with a finger roll.

“I was like, ‘woo, that was crazy,’” De Sousa says.

“If that was me or anyone else,” sophomore Chris Teahan says, “they’re flat on their back because Silvio knocks them over.”

That’s where Grimes is just different from most freshmen — and similar to Deron Williams. Defenders bounce off of him.

“It’s definitely hard to guard him and keep him in front, especially if he hits you in the chest, it knocks you back a little bit and he can get separation and knock it down,” Teahan says. “He has certain moves in his body that are hitchy, and he’ll get you moving a half step one way and get enough room to knock it down in your face.”
Some parts, though, make me gulp loudly:
“Quentin is so ingrained in terms of doing what’s best for the team that he would always try to make the play getting the ball to the open man, because he has great floor vision and he’s a great passer,” McNeely says. “I think he had to learn sometimes he had to be a little bit more selfish.”

At the end of the high school season, he had just one scholarship offer, from Rice, and wasn’t that highly regarded in the Houston area. “It was a no-brainer for us to try to get involved,” says Rice coach Scott Pera, who coached James Harden in high school and wasn’t scared away by Grimes’ lack of aggression. Harden wasn’t assertive in his early high school days either and was content spotting up in the corner.

[...]

“I think sometimes because he’s so unselfish, he gets off the ball and lets other guys try to make plays, and for us, we always thought, if you have the highest IQ and the most talent, you should be the one making the plays,” Basketball University program director Rhossi Carron says. “Part of the evolution was him was playing a little more selfishly. I don’t know if that’s the right term to use when talking about a lot of basketball players, but he was just too unselfish and we wanted him to try to make every play, and every possession to try to put pressure on the defense.”

[...]

After pausing to let that sink in, Self barked a command: “That’s how you need to start playing!”

Grimes has been playing too passively to Self’s liking, and the latter’s point was he recruited the former to Kansas to be a star in an offense that frees guards to be aggressive. “I wish he had more of that assassin attack mode that I think that he will get as he gets more confident,” Self said in a recent rant comparing Grimes with Wiggins, another player who Self begged to be more alpha. “We believe he’s got it inside of him already, but I just don’t think that he’s quite confident yet to really display that.”

These are the same type of frustrations Grimes’ high school coaches experienced. “It’s his nature,” Wheeler says. “He’s a sharer.”
Please not this again.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Quentin Grimes

Post by pdub »

I just hope his body language is more Devonte than Ellis because otherwise there are going to be a lot of people calling him soft.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't give two shits about his body language. I'm going to tear my eyes out, though, if he's another guy who just floats for long periods.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oubresque?
I see where you can relay Wiggins here ( mentioned in the article ) - he was hit and miss at points where he wasn't pushing himself - but man, when he was on, good night everyone.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

We can't really afford to have him be passive. I hope he'll adjust sooner rather than later because outside of Dok and Dedric I'm a little nervous about some of our rotation players...we've got a lot of hype around us, hopefully they're not drinking too much of the kool-aid and thinking this will be easy, because it won't.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not nervous about our senior guard Lagerald Vick.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

gotta get out the Brandon Rush Memorial Treadmill
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ugh. I get sad just thinking about this possibility.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 pm I'm not nervous about our senior guard Lagerald Vick.
You might be if you had a daughter on campus.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 pm I'm not nervous about our senior guard Lagerald Vick.
I like the optimism
Deleted User 75

We know what we will get with vick to an extent....but he's going to be without a national player of the year PG for the first time....heck some people aren't even sure if he'll start. There's some unknowns with this team. I'm guessing a lot of questions will be quickly answered during our first exhibition game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 pm but he's going to be without a national player of the year PG for the first time
why do you hate Dotson?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

Racism? Misogyny? Who knows.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

get a tissue
Headcase

Post by Headcase »

serious question... is he 1 and done? Hoping he's a 2 year guy
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Headcase wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:03 pm serious question... is he 1 and done? Hoping he's a 2 year guy
good question. likely one and done. wouldn't be crazy for him to come back. but don't plan on having him around.
at this point I think hes projected as more of a middle of the first round type draft pick. A lot can change tho
Deleted User 75

Middle 1st is typically more than enough to go. Especially because he could accidentally accept a ketchup packet from the wrong person and become ineligible or have to sit out while the NCAA and KU conduct a 55 day investigation.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I tend to think he'll be one-and-done as well.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

College basketball rankings: Duke and Kentucky dominate the top 20 must-know, must-see and most important freshmen
6. Quentin Grimes, SG, Kansas

247Sports composite recruiting ranking: No. 10.
The skinny: No worries about the reigning player of the year for the state of Texas. He'll produce heartily in year one for Bill Self. Grimes is a fantastic guard with terrific length, B-plus athleticism and doesn't shy on confidence. Kansas has been good just about every year since the Eisenhower administration, but under Self the best KU teams have had guards who attack like starving cheetahs. Grimes fits that mold. We'll be watching him score between 13 and 16 per game this season as he does it from all three ranges on the floor: at the rim, from the elbow/soft mid-range, from beyond the arc. Plus, he embraces rebounding. All of this led to Grimes earning MVP at the 2018 FIBA U18s (where he was coached by Self). Grimes also won a 6A title in Texas and averaged 30/9/5 while doing so. Trust me, he is the goods.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke