Quentin Grimes

Kansas Basketball.
Soklous

Re: Quentin Grimes

Post by Soklous »

I know Grimes is being discussed in the Dotson thread, but I came across this from Jonathon Givony Insider and wanted to share without backlash.

• Quentin Grimes' college career got off to an extremely impressive start, scoring 21 points with four assists in Kansas' victory over Michigan State at the Champions Classic on the opening night of the season. He has struggled badly since, scoring just 14 points on 3-of-14 shooting in his past three games, which included two high-profile matchups at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn as part of the NIT Season Tip-Off. Grimes is being asked to adjust to a very different role than the one NBA teams had seen him in up until this point in his career, as he's now mostly an off-ball wing who waits for secondary ball-handling opportunities. Kansas runs a significant amount of its offense through the highly experienced and productive big tandem of Dedric Lawson and Udoka Azubuike, with the majority of the playmaking responsibilities tasked to Lawson and starting point guard Devon Dotson. Senior shooting guard Lagerald Vick is an influential part of their offensive attack as well with his ability to space the floor.

Grimes has appeared tentative attacking ball screens, struggling to make shots off the dribble and looking limited with his ability to create high-percentage offense inside the arc. It's too early to draw too many long-term conclusions, as he isn't the first freshman to struggle under the highly demanding Bill Self, but scouts will want to see Grimes be a lot more productive once conference play rolls around to justify his lofty projection. -- Givony
I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I compared him to a Kelly Oubre kinda kid and got some flak.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Oubre is a flake. Grimes doesnt appear to be. He just seems likw a young talent struggling to understand the pile of info thrown at him and the realization of not being the top option. He will figure it out.

Ans I expect that as time passes, Self will design a few more plays to call his number to try to get him going. A week off probably will be useful, too. Sometimes it just takes time away to clear the mind when it gets cluttered.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Quentin’s gonna turn a corner - maybe gradually, maybe suddenly - and everyone will be clamoring about how they told you so all along.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

and i'll gladly eat crow
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I told you so!!!
Deleted User 89

premature

what are you, a teenage boy?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Over/under the date Quentin Grimes breaks his career high in points is set at Dec 17.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

FWIW....

The first updated 2019 Mock Draft from Givony posted today has Grimes as the 12th pick. To Minnesota as if relevant.
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Keegan may have set sail, but the JW is still tapping the suggestion box.

https://twitter.com/mctait/status/10675 ... 15682?s=21
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

“He hasn’t put up numbers like he did in the first game,” Self said. “He needs to be more aggressive. Even in the first game … he made shots, I’m not sure he got to the paint or did some things he’s really good at. His vision is terrific. He’s good at making passes to finish plays, all those things. He has not been consistent doing that because he has not forced help as much. It’s hard to make a great pass if you don’t force help in some form or fashion. He’s going to be fine. He’s still further along than a lot of good freshmen we’ve had, but a lot of good freshmen we’ve had … they haven’t been forced to play as many minutes. You could not play them. We’re in a situation he (Grimes, 27.8 minutes a game) needs to play. I certainly want him to become more aggressive but also know it’s a process for him, too,” Self added.
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm glad he's here, but: Jesus Christ am I tired of this happening over and over and over.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Unfortunately, at least a small percentage of it, will always be the transition from dominating high school to adjusting to NCAA. There is a bottleneck in the brain with everything being thrown at them, to playing free basketball. We’re all hopeful that the balance settles in sooner than later. It IS early, and to Grimes credit, the other starters haven’t made the established roles any easier. Still figuring it out at every position.
I am, I said.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Soklous wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 am Unfortunately, at least a small percentage of it, will always be the transition from dominating high school to adjusting to NCAA. There is a bottleneck in the brain with everything being thrown at them, to playing free basketball. We’re all hopeful that the balance settles in sooner than later. It IS early, and to Grimes credit, the other starters haven’t made the established roles any easier. Still figuring it out at every position.
Agreed. Nothing in our offense is running smooth consistently so far. The ball is sticking and we havent got a good feel for the spacing everyone works well in.

And we have still beaten 2 Top 10 teams who are filled with talented players who have excellent coaches and who have played together for multiple seasons. We are gonna crush fools when we do get it figured out.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Um.
Deleted User 89

i’m waiting for him to snap out of it...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's going to do something eventually right?
It's Kelly Oubre all over again.
Deleted User 89

i’m waiting to eat crow

maybe come conference time...or ‘nova. just needs a bigger stage
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In the end, basketball is about making shots.
So he could start making shots.
I just don't see what else he's talented at yet.

He's a lost frosh.

Not to say he can't get better - because I think he will - but he's on the pine at home v Cardinal and Garrett, who bricks 13 footers, is taking his minutes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Room for improvement.