pdub
Site Admin

Re: Quentin Grimes

Post by pdub »

A very large room.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

A big part of why he was ranked so high is that he has the size of a SF and the skillset (handles, vision) of a PG.

Self hasn't played him on the ball, he's not a great shooter, he plays a position in our offense that's notoriously easy to be passive in, and his defensive rotations are slow.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 pm A big part of why he was ranked so high is that he has the size of a SF and the skillset (handles, vision) of a PG.

Self hasn't played him on the ball, he's not a great shooter, he plays a position in our offense that's notoriously easy to be passive in, and his defensive rotations are slow.
Yes.

He will be fine. It may not happen this year, or at KU period since he may still leave, but I don't think he magically sucks. We just don't need offense out of that position and Garrett is better at defense.

A lot of this simply has to do with Dotson being so much better than expected.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We need offense out of that position unless we want to keep struggling against teams like Stanford.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

need his offense if we wanna hang another banner on the south wall
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:55 am I don't give two shits about his body language. I'm going to tear my eyes out, though, if he's another guy who just floats for long periods.
Ugggghhh.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's the elephant in the room, and completely changes this team.

At some point, I'll get too tired to watch Bill keep preferring guys like Q to Romeo Langford. Or Xavier to Lance Stephenson. Or Oubre to Justice Winslow.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Nah. You'll keep watching. But i understand the sentiment. I wanted Lance bad, i wanted winslow. I think Q still is going to be good and i still think i like him more than langford.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 pm A big part of why he was ranked so high is that he has the size of a SF and the skillset (handles, vision) of a PG.

I agree with this. It's certainly a common thread in a long line of really talented guys who have had trouble engaging. I wonder (where's the suggestion box?) if we need to try to get Grimes the ball on the move so that he's encouraged to drive it downhill a bit.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 am It's the elephant in the room, and completely changes this team.

At some point, I'll get too tired to watch Bill keep preferring guys like Q to Romeo Langford. Or Xavier to Lance Stephenson. Or Oubre to Justice Winslow.
what in the actual fuck? lol. Xavier was light years better than Lance in college. Oubre was ridiculously good by the end of his freshman year too.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 am It's the elephant in the room, and completely changes this team.

Is it the guys he likes, or the guys who like him, or the offense/system/player development?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Is it the guys he likes, or the guys who like him, or the offense/system/player development?
All of the above?

It just seems strange to keep getting these guys with the same demeanor.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

QG will be fine. Sometimes super talented freshmen struggle in the beginning. Maybe his academics are weighing on him some.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:05 pm offense/system/player development?
Yes.

And the player themselves. Some just didn't end up being as good as "experts" projected them to become...in several instances their success or lack of success after leaving KU is evidence of that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 pm QG will be fine. Sometimes super talented freshmen struggle in the beginning. Maybe his academics are weighing on him some.
Wut
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:28 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 pm QG will be fine. Sometimes super talented freshmen struggle in the beginning. Maybe his academics are weighing on him some.
Wut
^^^^^
Good lord.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

He will flip the switch before February. We will see more Garrett and KJ in December and some of January.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

“He’s in a funk. I mean that’s just calling it like it is,” KU basketball coach Bill Self said Saturday when asked specifically about Grimes. The Woodlands, Texas native scored two points on 1-of-6 shooting (0-for-3 from three) with a rebound and a turnover in 16 minutes in KU’s 90-84 overtime win over Stanford at Allen Fieldhouse.

“He’ll get out of it,” Self quickly added, “but he’s going to have to get out of it (himself). That’s the thing. (People may ask) are you showing confidence? Well, he’s starting every game. He’s still playing 25 minutes a game (25.8 mpg average). But the bottom line is he’s got to produce.”

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 23875.html
I am, I said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I was thinking about Grimes last night watching the game.

Our guards do a lot of movement perpendicular to the hoop, like in the weave, the action is all side to side. I think that really benefits super quick guards like Dotson, Mason, etc. who can turn 90 degrees on a dime and immediately hit full speed and get to the rim.

Guards like Grimes, Henry, Selden, Wiggins who are bigger and longer and not quite as first-step-change-direction-type of quick don't thrive from that type of action. They're better going toward the rim, using their size, taking different angles, etc.

Grimes was at his best in the open court on fast breaks and going toward the basket like on the backdoor cut he made.

I wonder if this is why we always seem to have these passive wings, just because we're not getting them going in the best positions to score for their skillset...and why our smaller quicker guards are the ones going off the past few seasons.

Self preaches going downhill, but I'm not sure his system always facilitates than unless you're super quick.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Pretty good observation.

I’m still not in love with the weave but it certainly works a lot better when you have AA small guards that can shoot 50% from 3.