Who is the GOAT

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Who is the GOAT

Post by Sparko »

Nevitt reminds me of the post dot com PhD.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

thank you.

Maybe I need a new avatar?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So...... how IS Oubre doing in Washington? Seems to getting plenty of minutes. Outscoring overpaid Otto Porter, their starting SF. His fg% is the worst of any of their rotation guys so he must be doing simething else positive to stay on tbe floor. I haven't seen them play yet this year. May have to look for one of their games and check him out Will be interesting to see how his career progresses.

Anyone actually seen them play?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 am

The odds favor failure, so it's never a surprise to me when someone struggles. The fact that Oubre plays 25+ mpg should be celebrated more so than the fact that Jackson is struggling in year two.
I agree 100%.

Sticking with that theme, Diallo played some really solid minutes when Mirotic was out last week with a hurt ankle. He looks taller than he did at KU for some reason. I think Diallo could develop into a serge ibaka or paschal siakam type player eventually. He's still super young and is actually showing signs of positive development.

Watching Diallo slowly develop in the NBA it always makes me think to when people complain Bill Self doesn't play someone 5 more min per game to "develop" them....do those 5min really make a big difference? Look how long it's taking him to develop at the professional level where he can dedicate 24/7 365 to basketball. With unlimited coaching and nearly unlimited resources. It just doesn't happen over night, or over a handful of games. Especially for the guys who are "raw" athlete types.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:44 am So...... how IS Oubre doing in Washington? Seems to getting plenty of minutes. Outscoring overpaid Otto Porter, their starting SF. His fg% is the worst of any of their rotation guys so he must be doing simething else positive to stay on tbe floor. I haven't seen them play yet this year. May have to look for one of their games and check him out Will be interesting to see how his career progresses.

Anyone actually seen them play?
Oubre is doing okay. Their team is having some issues. I don't think some of the players get along very well.

Porter playing awful so Oubre getting some of his minutes. He still gets out of control with the ball in his hands, but he's knocking down some 3s, and is a good defender and rebounder.

Washington is just so bad this year. They lost whatever magic they had a few years ago. They probably need to get rid of 1 of Beal or Wall....Dwight Howard has been a pleasant surprise for them this year and is playing pretty well lately.

Oubre is going to have a long NBA career. He may not always start, but his defense and rebounding ability due to his length and athleticism will keep him employed and rich.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Fun little video absent of any whine time.

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1063159703776092161?s=21
I am, I said.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

they like oubre a lot cause he can guard anybody in the modern NBA. athletic dude. strong. long long long arms. slides his feet and is great in pick and roll defense
Deleted User 75

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

what if he was a jockey?!?!
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

never mind
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Remember, Wilt was a world class track athlete who played professional volleyball in his 40s or 50s. When people speculated on him coming back to the NBA around that time, no one really laughed. If he wanted to shoot threes he would spend all summer shooting and the lead the league. Wilt was a real life Chuck Norris meme.
Deleted User 75

Arjhawk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:26 pm If he wanted to shoot threes he would spend all summer shooting and the lead the league.
So then why wasn't he better at free throws?

I don't think wilt could lead the league in 3pt shooting....but I understand and agree with your overall sentiment that he was amazing.
Deleted User 75

kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Arjhawk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:26 pm Remember, Wilt was a world class track athlete who played professional volleyball in his 40s or 50s. When people speculated on him coming back to the NBA around that time, no one really laughed. If he wanted to shoot threes he would spend all summer shooting and the lead the league. Wilt was a real life Chuck Norris meme.
Wilt was criticized for not earning enough assists, so the next season he led the league in assists. He could do just about anything he set his mind to.

Personally I believe that 1 point should be subtracted for each 3-pt goal from anyone’s record in the 3-pt era when being compared to Wilt’s records for career points, points in a game, and points per game for a season.

On another note, I posted a 1960 game show video that included Wilt. It got one complaint about a panelist calling him “Wilt the Stilt,” instead of “The Big Dipper.” I think The Big Dipper nickname came along a lot later, perhaps in the ‘70s. He was very commonly called Wilt the Stilt in the late ‘50 s and early ‘60s, even while he was at KU. I’m old enough to remember that. A family member was at KU at the same time as Wilt.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 75

There is no good way to compare eras. Even if you did the adjustment for 3pt shots, there are still aspects such as game length, shot clock, pace, amount of games per season, etc that would all need to somehow be accounted for to truly be comparing apples to apples..

Wilt is the greatest player of his generation. Nobody can take that away from him no matter how many records the new era players will break. Wilt is an all time great. One of the few from his time that would have a legit chance to be dominant in today's league. Amazing athlete.
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

I've said this before (maybe on the .net), but who else made them change the rules - multiple times?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Arjhawk wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 pm I've said this before (maybe on the .net), but who else made them change the rules - multiple times?
that’s been one of my points as well

no doubt you can’t really make direct, apples to apples comparisons, which is why, at least in my mind, the GOAT is all-encompassing...basketball ability, athleticism, impact on the game itself, and also impact on the ancillary stuff like viewership and even endorsements
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

kubandalum wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 pm
Arjhawk wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:26 pm Remember, Wilt was a world class track athlete who played professional volleyball in his 40s or 50s. When people speculated on him coming back to the NBA around that time, no one really laughed. If he wanted to shoot threes he would spend all summer shooting and the lead the league. Wilt was a real life Chuck Norris meme.
Wilt was criticized for not earning enough assists, so the next season he led the league in assists. He could do just about anything he set his mind to.

Personally I believe that 1 point should be subtracted for each 3-pt goal from anyone’s record in the 3-pt era when being compared to Wilt’s records for career points, points in a game, and points per game for a season.

On another note, I posted a 1960 game show video that included Wilt. It got one complaint about a panelist calling him “Wilt the Stilt,” instead of “The Big Dipper.” I think The Big Dipper nickname came along a lot later, perhaps in the ‘70s. He was very commonly called Wilt the Stilt in the late ‘50 s and early ‘60s, even while he was at KU. I’m old enough to remember that. A family member was at KU at the same time as Wilt.
During his sophomore year Chamberlain instituted a campus fashion trend when he popularized black leather Ivy League caps. He even had his own thirty-minute weekly radio show on student station KUOK. “Flip'er with Dipper” featured current hit records and Chamberlain’s banter, as well as occasional guest appearances by his fellow Jayhawks.

https://kuhistory.ku.edu/articles/center-attention
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Hadn’t heard that. Fascinating.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke