Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Post by randylahey »

I wouldn't mind seeing our starting lineup look like this until dok gets healthy:

dotson
vick
garrett
lightfoot
D lawson.

easily our best lineup this weekend and a reason self stuck with them the last 7 or so minutes.
and seems like we would be able to rotate better with moore, grimes, KJ, and mccormack off the bench. more balance in both lineups
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ineffective post defense in win over New Mexico State bothers Self: ‘It’s comical’

https://kuhoops.com/ku-basketball-news/222878815/

David (McCormack) didn’t get a chance to play much. Maybe David could have done a better job defensively,” Self added of the freshman forward...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 am Thank you Mitch.

Last night it was easy to see why he plays over guys with more talent than him.

Self can trust him to do some simple yet effective plays, such as the screen and roll he did with Vick coming out of a TO that got us an easy dunk. Hung in there and got some important charge calls too.
I don't think Self can trust him yet. He has had far more time where he went out there and did the exact wrong thing. Last night was not one of them. he had a ton of winning plays in his time out there. The guys he was going against were slow enough that Mitch could play well and Mitch also seems to have listened to the coaching points on making harder cuts and moving more purposefully. Sometimes you see something in film that clicks, hopefully Mitch found one of those and keeps it for a while.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Self was pretty upset about Mitch giving up so many easy baskets. He called out both Mitch and Lawson for doing so. Mentioned that McCormack didn't get a chance...which kinda fuels the fire of the "play McCormack" people.

It would be nice to see him get more minutes, not to take minutes away from someone else, but because McCormack looked good in his limited minutes, really brings energy. He seems less lost than Diallo was at the same number of games and he seems to bring more effort than Alexander did at the same point. Hopefully he does some things in practice to earn those extra minutes because with Dok out we could use a bigger more physical body.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DMac is just way too sped up.

Only way to fix that: reps. Get him some.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

I like what Mitch brings, but he sucks on d, and still makes lots of fundamental mistakes...as a junior!

And much of the time with freshmen, and freshman bigs particularly, is that they’re not physically ready for the game. With McCormack, this is much less the case. Dude is yuge.

The other issues are conditioning and just getting up to speed with the game, both of which can be improved with playing time.

Get the dude some reps!
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

You can't give him reps if he's fucking up offensive sets and defensive assignments. I'm not saying that's what is happening, but it's not as easy as just saying DMac should play because he's got sexier individual characteristics than Mitch. It's a team sport.

I do agree though, he should play more, because we need 2 bigs in at all times imo.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The thing is, when someone defaults to arguing just to argue, it tends to make that person's argument completely nonresponsive and illogical.
Deleted User 75

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm The thing is, when someone defaults to arguing just to argue, it tends to make that person's argument completely nonresponsive and illogical.
Nobody is trying to argue. It's a discussion. We do this every year when there is a player who some of the fans don't want to play because they "know" a different option is the better option.

Sorry if my post seemed argumentative. It wasn't intended to be (and honestly I have no clue what I'd be arguing with when nothing is quoted or being responded to directly, and clearly in the post I say "he should play more" and that we need to play 2 bigs together.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm The thing is, when someone defaults to arguing just to argue, it tends to make that person's argument completely nonresponsive and illogical.
That’s Illy!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Illy arguing about arguing.

Classic.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 75

Dude, Cascadia, look thru your posting history on this site....
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I think they both played well last night. Lightfoot would have had a real big game if not yielding to much needed minutes to Dave.

I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Very encouraged by the way Lightfoot and McCormack played. The opponent might have helped, but I like that we have two (3 with De Sousa, 4 if you count KJ as a big, but I don't) capable bigs you can bring in and be confident about. I hope Self goes by matchup when choosing which guy to play, because they're both good but have very different types of games.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I thought so in real time too. Bad shot with the slowness either way. Deserves to be put into the stands.
I am, I said.