Vick

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Vick

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:21 am And this cements my feeling that if Vick comes back, he will come off the bench to take some of what Moore and KJ have been giving us.
Hate to be nitpicky, but Moore hasn't given us anything. You can't take something away from nothing.
He's given us minutes. Poorly. So those should be taken from him.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:21 am And this cements my feeling that if Vick comes back, he will come off the bench to take some of what Moore and KJ have been giving us.
In a vacuum I guess this works, but what's Vick's head like on a reduced role? What's the locker room like?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 am
In a vacuum I guess this works, but what's Vick's head like on a reduced role? What's the locker room like?
Those are some of the questions that Self will have to consider. He'll make a judgement call at some point and this team will have to deal with the consequences of that decision, either good or bad. Or both.

For me, that's enough. I don't think that any conclusion Self reaches, from putting him right back into his previous starting role down to not letting him rejoin the team at all, would surprise or bother me.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:51 amWut?
Respond to PhD comment about nothing from nothing equals nothing.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ah, yea.
I will say KJ had a good ( and needed ) game v TCU.
But Charlie? He had that 18 point fluke a long while ago and since then?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

In Vick's last game, Charlie was way better.

But, yeah, the point was Charlie has given us minutes this season and really nothing much more. You would hope Vick hasn't completely lost his head if he comes back to where he can sleepwalk and give us more than Charlie.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's shooting 10% from 3 in conference.
Making Garrett look like Ray Allen.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

The fact that Self would have to consider so many factors to determine if he'd be welcome back is exactly why we don't need to worry about him coming back. It's mid February. He's probably not coming back. He may not even have the choice to come back...but obviously Self would prefer to not have drama play out in the media.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm The fact that Self would have to consider so many factors to determine if he'd be welcome back is exactly why we don't need to worry about him coming back. It's mid February. He's probably not coming back. He may not even have the choice to come back...but obviously Self would prefer to not have drama play out in the media.
Then why leave it open ended?

You can say everything positive to the media and say that he won't be back.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:32 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm The fact that Self would have to consider so many factors to determine if he'd be welcome back is exactly why we don't need to worry about him coming back. It's mid February. He's probably not coming back. He may not even have the choice to come back...but obviously Self would prefer to not have drama play out in the media.
Then why leave it open ended?

You can say everything positive to the media and say that he won't be back.
I don't have the answer for that.

I'd have to see the direct quotes again...I only heard him say he's leaving the team indefinitely for personal reasons.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

just heard a rumor, no comments on its validity, that vick left because lala got into it with the coaching staff over their handling of vick and his playing time
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 am just heard a rumor, no comments on its validity, that vick left because lala got into it with the coaching staff over their handling of vick and his playing time
I have nothing to refute that, but that just doesn't sound right.
Deleted User 75

I'm not sure what playing time issues a parent can have when their child is averaging 33.4 minutes per game...but it is LaLa, so anything is possible.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:18 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 am just heard a rumor, no comments on its validity, that vick left because lala got into it with the coaching staff over their handling of vick and his playing time
I have nothing to refute that, but that just doesn't sound right.
again, i can’t attest to its validity...and almost didn’t post

just think it’s odd that there is ZERO additional info that has come out

i would think, that if it was something as simple and understandable like vick needing to take care of his kids, or a health issue in the family, that such info would have come out (or at least would have been alluded to).

and don’t get me wrong, if it is something truly family-related, it’s obviously nobody’s business but their’s
Deleted User 75

The fact that there is zero additional info is intentional.

It's also intentional that again after yesterday's game Self said...“I’m actually enjoying being around them and coaching them more because there seems to be more positive energy, which is fun,”..... “I mean, this is starting to get to be fun. That doesn’t guarantee success, but, certainly, it gives you a better chance to have it.”

That's about the 4th or 5th comment he's made since this happened.
Deleted User 75

If someone truly left for a terrible family emergency you'd think guys would be showing lots of support....they're not. Not even subtle support. Nothing.

And a coach when it happens would be all "we love soandso and will support them in anyway possible during this time of need and if the timing is right will welcome soandso back with open arms"....there was really none of that. Just intentional vagueness....probably as a favor to whatever remains of Vicks basketball future outside of KU.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Agree. I don't think anyone needs to think too hard about the specifics. Whatever was going on with Vick, all the evidence suggests that we've weathered the loss of his contributions just fine, and the on- and off-court chemistry has improved.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

The team has team chemistry now. Nothing is going to be allowed to change that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It seems that Bill is having fun coaching this team at about the same time he did last year.

Mid-Feb: Billy situation completely over; De Sousa getting into the lineup; Newman started progressing about this time; Vick contributions took a backseat. Hmm.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Seemed we had ok on and off court chemistry at the beginning of the season.
From early November to mid December we had 10 consecutive wins - against Michigan State, Vermont, Louisiana, Marquette, Tennessee, Stanford, Wofford, New Mexico State, Villanova, and South Dakota.

Interesting to see LaLa is still fully vested in her interest of KU.
Would think perhaps she might have a fuck you I don't give a damn attitude if Leg was booted.
Maybe not.

None of us really know - do we? But we have sure no problem speculating.