Vick

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Vick

Post by Deleted User 75 »

No doubt. He's obviously not going to shoot 65% from 3 this season. That's not possible.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Garrett was allsome on D
Defense. Rebounds.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Remember when Vick’s coach told KU fans he was the next McLemore? Kinda true for the now, minus the downhill handles.

https://twitter.com/gifhawk/status/1069 ... 52288?s=21
I am, I said.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Vick's athleticism and ability to finish any lob is something I'll never forget.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Soklous wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:26 pm Remember when Vick’s coach told KU fans he was the next McLemore? Kinda true for the now, minus the downhill handles.

https://twitter.com/gifhawk/status/1069 ... 52288?s=21
Maybe performance-wise. But god damn, was Ben was of the most aesthetically-pleasing players you'll ever see. Gorgeous jumper, played the game like I imagine I would if I woke up and could jump like that.

All of that, of course, has led to a barely-hanging-on NBA career (which I was very wrong about), but still.
Deleted User 75

I thought Ben was going to be awesome in the NBA.

His lack of ball handling somewhat holds him back...but even his shooting %s have not been what many expected.

I'm not saying he's unfocused or isn't a hard worker, but I do often times wonder about stuff like that with him. Maybe the money has made him less hungry? Maybe he's too focused on trying to be a rap star? No real way to know. It could simply be a case where its just plain harder to be good in the NBA than many expect.You'd think there's enough time to do all of what he wants to do...

Either way, he's made a lot of money for himself. Has a beautiful wife and daughter. I'm very happy for him. He's 1 of the nicest guys we've had at KU. I hope he continues to stick around and collect paychecks. Maybe it will all click for him soon and his career will take off.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:11 am I thought Ben was going to be awesome in the NBA.

His lack of ball handling somewhat holds him back...but even his shooting %s have not been what many expected.

I'm not saying he's unfocused or isn't a hard worker, but I do often times wonder about stuff like that with him. Maybe the money has made him less hungry? Maybe he's too focused on trying to be a rap star? No real way to know. It could simply be a case where its just plain harder to be good in the NBA than many expect. You'd think there's enough time to do all of what he wants to do...

Either way, he's made a lot of money for himself. Has a beautiful wife and daughter. I'm very happy for him. He's 1 of the nicest guys we've had at KU. I hope he continues to stick around and collect paychecks. Maybe it will all click for him soon and his career will take off.
I think it's a lot of this. Sticking out a 5+ year NBA career - even on the very end of the bench - is really really damn hard, and a major accomplishment.

I just thought he'd be more than that.
Deleted User 75

Maybe he just needs to find the right fit. Unfortunately that's very hard to do. Can't always control which franchise you end up in. Especially when you're talking about a bench player type.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:18 am Maybe he just needs to find the right fit. Unfortunately that's very hard to do. Can't always control which franchise you end up in. Especially when you're talking about a bench player type.
Eh, I think there's been enough time where, if he was going to figure out how to be more than he is, he would have. There's lots of guys like that - Thomas Robinson immediately comes to mind - where, for whatever reason, they just don't take that next step to being a rotation guy as opposed to an end-of-bench guy.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CBS just tweeted the question, “Is Legerald Vick a NPOY candidate?

This is probably why you shouldn’t hold the preseason list as some kind of scripture. Same as rankings. It’s ok to not be an ape.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

Vick is not a legitimate NPOY candidate imo....he's shooting a crazy %, but without another significantly elite stat category other than scoring, it'd take more than 21ppg.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Soklous wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:01 am CBS just tweeted the question, “Is Legerald Vick a NPOY candidate?

This is probably why you shouldn’t hold the preseason list as some kind of scripture. Same as rankings. It’s ok to not be an ape.
I have a hard time imagining he'll end up with those kind of stats. But first team AA does sure seem to be within reach, and that would be wild - three first-team AA guards in a row?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

He's certainly on pace to be in those conversations.

I'm not ready to make any long term assumptions about Vick yet. He was averaging ~19 ppg through 9 games last year and then tailed off.

I'm hoping, and believe he's a different player this year, but no way he keeps shooting at the rate he's at.

I predict he ends the season with something like 17 ppg, which is really good, but not AA level.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I’m not saying he will be in final cut. But anyone got 50 players better than him? Not on that list of 45 names just taking up space. That list should be, at the least, fluid as the weekly Top 25 rankings. Should not be set in stone like it always is.

On that topic, Vick is your Big Player of the Week for his 2nd time this season.

Dedric Newcomer. For another KU seeep.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle. ... =211782675

He
I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:18 am Maybe he just needs to find the right fit. Unfortunately that's very hard to do. Can't always control which franchise you end up in. Especially when you're talking about a bench player type.
and starting off in sacramento was one foot in the grave to begin with
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Soklous wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:01 am CBS just tweeted the question, “Is Legerald Vick a NPOY candidate?

in the highly unlikely scenario where Vick continues this tear for most of the season....why not him?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Soklous wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:11 am I’m not saying he will be in final cut. But anyone got 50 players better than him? Not on that list of 45 names just taking up space. That list should be, at the least, fluid as the weekly Top 25 rankings. Should not be set in stone like it always is.

On that topic, Vick is your Big Player of the Week for his 2nd time this season.

Dedric Newcomer. For another KU seeep.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle. ... =211782675

He
I agree with that for sure.

Probably no reason to make a list at all until at least the first of the year if the list is fixed and whittled down.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 am

I have a hard time imagining he'll end up with those kind of stats. But first team AA does sure seem to be within reach, and that would be wild - three first-team AA guards in a row?
Right.
If he continues to average 21 PPG for a top 5 team, as a senior, I think he'd be on the first team AA.
I can't see him continuing this but say he regresses to 16-17 PPG, he could end up on a 3rd team and a 1st team All Big 12.

Would happily take.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 am

Right.
If he continues to average 21 PPG for a top 5 team, as a senior, I think he'd be on the first team AA.
I can't see him continuing this but say he regresses to 16-17 PPG, he could end up on a 3rd team and a 1st team All Big 12.

Would happily take.
Your takes are all derivative of mine.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't read your posts.