Vick

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Vick

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:53 pm A video thing would not "be nice." Some people here have lost their minds.

Vick is closer to not getting seats behind the bench five years from now than he is to getting a tribute.
I think if that were true, self would be less effusive in his comments about vick.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Are there new comments I haven't seen?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

“I actually think Lagerald became a lot better than what we envisioned when we recruited him,” Self said. “A lot better. And then after he got real good then my expectations changed and there were times where he did play to that very high level and there were times where he didn’t. But he’s certainly had his fair share of good moments for us.”
"Had his fair share of good moments for us," Self says of a player getting DNP-CDs for the last 10+ games of his senior season (in which we lost the streak), sounds about right.

And, I would say, does not meet the standard I'd set for "effusive."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Closer to effusive than not being welcomed back.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

"People should remember Lagerald in a very favorable way,” Self said Thursday at his regular weekly press conference. “No question. We won three (league titles) and won 10 games in the NCAA Tournament in (his first) three years. You know, there’s not too many players out there in the country who can say that. And he’s played a role in that and, certainly, he got better over time.”
That's much nicer than anything he said about greene or tharpe, and they never left mid-season. I am going to believe vick had actual personal issues to deal with until there's a reason not to.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I've never once thought we're taking about fake personal issues.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:36 pm
"People should remember Lagerald in a very favorable way,” Self said Thursday at his regular weekly press conference. “No question. We won three (league titles) and won 10 games in the NCAA Tournament in (his first) three years. You know, there’s not too many players out there in the country who can say that. And he’s played a role in that and, certainly, he got better over time.”
That's much nicer than anything he said about greene or tharpe, and they never left mid-season. I am going to believe vick had actual personal issues to deal with until there's a reason not to.
Well Bill also wasn’t ever asked about tharpe or Greene ahead of senior day.

We’ve heard Bill say nicer things about people he hates more than Vick. I do think Bill has a soft spot for Vick, but I can’t take too much out of that statement of praise other than it falls in line with what Bill’s said before about the situation and with the spirit of senior day.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm I've never once thought we're taking about fake personal issues.
I mean something legitimate beyond an attitude problem.

Seems like the prevailing thought among many is he was kicked off the team for being a bad apple. I think there's a lot more to it than that.

That doesn't make 15 in a row come back into play, or erase his bad games, or lazy plays, but it does impact how I feel about his "leave of absence"

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:38 pm I've never once thought we're taking about fake personal issues.
I mean something legitimate beyond an attitude problem.

Seems like the prevailing thought among many is he was kicked off the team for being a bad apple. I think there's a lot more to it than that.

That doesn't make 15 in a row come back into play, or erase his bad games, or lazy plays, but it does impact how I feel about his "leave of absence"
To a degree, sure. But I doubt we'll ever know exactly to what degree.

It's not hard at all to think of some scenarios where Vick bears a degree of personal responsibility for his actions or his behavior that's very difficult, if not impossible, to precisely ascertain, to separate from other factors causing/exacerbating/contributing to the issue.

But it should be very obvious to anyone who's followed this team over the last several years that, whatever it is, it didn't pop up out of the blue some time last month.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Right, it’s been mentioned before by the staff that he’s always battled anxiety. He’s never left because of it before, so it’s not a recurring obvious issue like Everson Griffen, for example.

Anxiety sucks and it’s certainly possible that an acute problem could cause this, but the easier logical answer given the timing of the leave and the length suggests this is Bill’s doing and this is all a cover to protect Vick.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Given Vick's crazy athleticism and decent shot, if he had not had so many difficulties off court, do you think he would have become a pretty decent NBA player like Rush?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

lobster wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:11 pm Given Vick's crazy athleticism and decent shot, if he had not had so many difficulties off court, do you think he would have become a pretty decent NBA player like Rush?
I think, given his size, he was going to have to do just about everything right to have a meaningful NBA career.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He had a shot, but was always an off-guard, and his lack of strength would really hurt him in that position.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Vick does have a final four ring and a gold medal from Korea.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Geezer wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm Vick does have a final four ring and a gold medal from Korea.
Cool?
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Geezer wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm Vick does have a final four ring and a gold medal from Korea.
I hope he still has them.
Someone I know gave away his 86 Final Four ring. Didn't want it. You would think it meant something to him. It didn't. Nice that he ended up getting a National Championship one a couple seasons later.
Would be wonderful if Vick got one this season. Stranger things have happened.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

nada

speaks volumes about why he’s gone, imo
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Self says he won’t be back (per Twitter)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I can't imagine a scenario short of (multiple) injury that would make bringing vick back on the roster at this point a prudent decision.

Not that the team is rolling, but you don't want to mess up the chemistry again