Vick

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Vick

Post by pdub »

"I think it's fine to criticize his on the court behavior.
And his off the court behavior if it's something that is hurting others.

There are 2 main problems I have an issue with:
1. Discrediting his accomplishments on the court - he's an above average to good player - his mistakes are exacerbated on this board.
2. To celebrate his absence because of a personal matter not knowing at all what it could be."
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm There are murderers in Mexico.
Not true. Just one. Every murder ever in Mexico was done by El Chapo.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Vick wasn't an above average to good player, why would Bill Self start him and play him significant minutes?
Just because?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:37 pm If Vick wasn't an above average to good player, why would Bill Self start him and play him significant minutes?
Just because?
...a weird path to go down when Vick is not with the team with - and this is impossible to know - something in between Bill's consent and Bill's demand.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For the part of the season ( most of it ) he's played.
I figured that would be assumed.

"and this is impossible to know"

This isn't even cherry picking, it's making up.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I should have been clearer: what's "impossible to know" is the degree to which Bill was involved in Vick's departure.

AT THE LEAST, Bill allowed it.

AT THE MOST, Bill directed it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's fair.
Again, has nothing to do with my issue.

1. Discrediting his accomplishments on the court - he's an above average to good player - his mistakes are exacerbated on this board.
2. To celebrate his absence because of a personal matter not knowing at all what it could be.

Can we agree that Vick is a better player than Grimes?
And if so, if Vick was playing at the level he was playing before he left, he might be a good option to have on the team considering the minutes that Grimes is playing?
And can we agree that Marcus Garrett is still a liability on most nights offensively?
And if so, if Vick was playing at the level he was playing before he left, he might be a good option to have on the team considering the minutes that Garrett is playing?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You think people are "discrediting" his accomplishments on the court. I think you're overvaluing his contributions (not in a small part because he is a senior, and you are hardwired to think there's something about that that is intrinsically good).

And - I can't speak for everyone - I am not celebrating whatever circumstance has caused him to regress badly the last couple weeks, and eventually led to him not being with the team. I am, though, relieved by not having to watch his personal life wreck the basketball team I follow, and encouraged by how much better the basketball team looks to me, in his absence.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"You think people are "discrediting" his accomplishments on the court. I think you're overvaluing his contributions"

"If Vick wasn't an above average to good player, why would Bill Self start him and play him significant minutes?"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And to this:
"And - I can't speak for everyone - I am not celebrating whatever circumstance has caused him to regress badly the last couple weeks, and eventually led to him not being with the team. I am, though, relieved by not having to watch his personal life wreck the basketball team I follow, and encouraged by how much better the basketball team looks to me, in his absence."

1. I don't think you are one of the ones celebrating his departure and regression.
2. Again, tied at half time with OSU at home and then beating them by 12 and then almost loosing to TCU isn't really that much better than expectations. I don't think Vick being on the team would have lost us the OSU game. And I don't think ( and I could be wrong ) that Vick being on the team would have lost us the TCU game either - we very much could have lost that and were fortunate at the end not to.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

In a small sample size, Vick's absence certainly doesn't seem to be a sizable net loss, which is interesting because the stats would have suggested that it would kill us.

Given his hot/cold presence, I don't blame fans for being hesitant about him rejoining the team at this juncture of the season. I think a lot of fans expected some kind of conference season regression, but this was more dramatic than most would have predicted. I get why some are at the point where they just want to wash their hands and roll their eyes at glass-half full statistical summaries.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'm a pretty big Vick defender and I'm hesitant about him rejoining the team. But that's mostly because this team has had to adjust it's style of play about 10 times this season, and I'd like continuity going into the tournament. It'll be a tricky game to play to decide whether the contributions Vick could make outweigh the potential disruption to how we're playing.

In terms of making any meaningful statements about how we're playing without him, the sample size and competition level are both too small at this time. And, as good as we're all feeling right now, OSU is shitty and hung around way too long, we nearly blew the TCU game, and our best player apparently threw a temper tantrum in the first half. So...while I like where we are at and where we appear to be headed, we're still on the razor's edge.

I think it's possible the team we put on the court without Vick plays better together (time will tell) but by loosing Vick our margin of error becomes much much smaller.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And I think we'll handle a short handed WVU with ease this weekend, regardless.
If we travel to Tech and miss 21 3's again ( like we did v TCU ), there's a good chance we'll loose.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:18 pm I'm a pretty big Vick defender and I'm hesitant about him rejoining the team. But that's mostly because this team has had to adjust it's style of play about 10 times this season, and I'd like continuity going into the tournament. It'll be a tricky game to play to decide whether the contributions Vick could make outweigh the potential disruption to how we're playing.

In terms of making any meaningful statements about how we're playing without him, the sample size and competition level are both too small at this time. And, as good as we're all feeling right now, OSU is shitty and hung around way too long, we nearly blew the TCU game, and our best player apparently threw a temper tantrum in the first half. So...while I like where we are at and where we appear to be headed, we're still on the razor's edge.

I think it's possible the team we put on the court without Vick plays better together (time will tell) but by loosing Vick our margin of error becomes much much smaller.
I think, ideally at this point, you bring him back in the rotation role that he had in 2017. The 3-headed monster of Dotson-Lawson-Agbaji really looks like our tournament core, and they have swagger.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"glass-half full statistical summaries"

PPG. FG%. 3FG%.
Glass-half full.
I'll be sure to remember that whenever JFish or CnB uses any of those metrics as an argument, that they are simply using glass-half full statistical summaries.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

You guys sure do like to argue....

;-)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 pm You guys sure do like to argue....

;-)
An ellipsis typically contains three dots...not four...

Don't wink at me you fucker.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PDub going with the illy method circa 2017 and just repeating the same things multiple times.

I approve!

:-o
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The difference is my arguments have a point/intention - we are on the Vick thread after all.
You just argue to argue.
You are the LeBron, Gutter the MJ.
Deleted User 75

If you say so.

Seems like you do plenty of arguing to argue....and repeating yourself.

;-)