Devon Dotson

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Devon Dotson

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am What’s Dotson’s draft projection/pro comparison?
As lazy as it sounds, it's really Frank. The other small PG's don't quite fit here, the Chris Paul's, TJ McConnell, Isaiah Thomas's of the world.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am What’s Dotson’s draft projection/pro comparison?
mugsy bogues?

jk
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kyle Lowry?
Ty Lawson ( speed/quickness ) ?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:44 am
As lazy as it sounds, it's really Frank. The other small PG's don't quite fit here, the Chris Paul's, TJ McConnell, Isaiah Thomas's of the world.
He's Frank with upside, right?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well, I think Frank still has upside, he's just in the black hole we know as Sacramento.
But because of Dotson's age, for sure, more upside than Frank currently.
If Dotson stayed four years in college, I'd give him 6/5 odds of winning NPOY at some point.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Shabazz Napier comes to mind.

Tony Parker a bit as well.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
He's three inches taller than Frank. If Dotson was a legit 6'4" his draft comp would be De'Aaron Fox with a jumper and Fox went top 5.

At 6'2" he's probably a Top 25 pick after next season. Lower if he measures out closer to an even 6' in the predraft combine.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

bofh hasn't taken the measurements but Fox has a significant wingspan advantage on Dotson.
Athleticism too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Frank measured 5'11" w/o shoes and 6'0" w/ shoes.

I bet Dotson goes something like 6'0" w/o shoes and 6'1.5" w/ shoes.
Deleted User 75

He'd be a 1st rounder this year if he decided to leave imo.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
Basically. Devon a little faster/quicker, a little bit of a better defender. Frank stronger, better pull-up, better finisher today. Those are all things that Devon could equal. Passing/vision about the same--good, not elite.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 am He'd be a 1st rounder this year if he decided to leave imo.
imo no.
Smaller guard averaging 12 PPG.
He'll be a 1st rounder next year when he decides to leave.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In comparison, Vonte was 22 years old, taller/better wingspan ( clearly not nearly as fast as Dotson but could get to the rack ), averaged 17.3 PPG and 7.2 APG and was selected 2nd round.
Frank Mason was 22 years old, a little shorter, averaged 20.9 PPG and 5.2 APG and was selected in the 2nd round.

I think Dotson is coming on strong and has the potential to match that even as soon as next year, but he's not a 1st rounder this year, especially with concerns about his height/strength.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 am He'd be a 1st rounder this year if he decided to leave imo.
imo no.
Smaller guard averaging 12 PPG.
He'll be a 1st rounder next year when he decides to leave.
How many pts he averages is probably mostly irrelevant in his situation.

If NBA guys are as certain as you'd that he'd be a 1st rounder next year then they'd probably just take him this year 1st round. In a class with only a couple decent guards....

the NBA believes they're better at developing players than college teams are. That's why young guys go so high every year over players who were older and better than them in college.

Frank was the best college PG his senior year....several PGs went ahead of him.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:41 am In comparison, Vonte was 22 years old, taller/better wingspan ( clearly not nearly as fast as Dotson but could get to the rack ), averaged 17.3 PPG and 7.2 APG and was selected 2nd round.
Frank Mason was 22 years old, a little shorter, averaged 20.9 PPG and 5.2 APG and was selected in the 2nd round.

I think Dotson is coming on strong and has the potential to match that even as soon as next year, but he's not a 1st rounder this year, especially with concerns about his height/strength.
Your 2 examples could also lead 1 to the conclusion that per game averages in college don't influence the NBA Draft position much.

And that they like guys as young as they can get them.

His height is still going to be a concern regardless of the year he enters the draft unless he has another unexpected growth spurt. His strength can improve as well, if not better, on an NBA team. So they're not going to pass on him 1st round this year just so he can have another year lifting weights at Kansas.

His most draftable skill is speed. They don't need another year of seeing it to believe it. If that's what's going to get him drafted 1st round next year then it'd get him drafted 1st round this year too.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Tyus Jones from Duke. Jones is listed as 6'2". Averaged 11.8 ppg at Duke.

24th pick in the first round in 2015. That's probably the best comp for Dotson.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I haven't seen one mock draft with him in the 1st round.
The scouts want to see if he can completely lead a team and if he improves some of his offensive arsenal.
The articles i've read that mention him address his size.

I don't see him going 1st this season.
I definitely see him going 1st next.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Devon is going to come back for one more year and look like the best PG in the NCAA and the draft. That's worth returning for rather than sweating out being in the 1st round this summer.
Deleted User 75

why is his height going to be less of a concern next year?

The NBA guys probably think they can teach him to "lead a team" and improve his "offensive arsenal" better than college coaches can....being older negatively impacts draft position. Year after year we see it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Tyus Jones at that stage was a far better distributor than Dotson at this stage.
Dotson is good - I don't think it's his strength ( making game changing passes ).
He figures out a jump shot off the dribble and contends for B12POY ( competing against Agbaji ) in 2020.

"Being older negatively impacts draft position. Year after year we see it."

Hi, I'm Mikal Bridges.
Hi, I'm Miles Bridges ( and yes, he went higher in this draft than if he had left ).
Hi, I'm Donte DiVincenzo.
Hi, I'm Grayson Allen.
Hi, I'm Aaron Holiday.

List goes on and on.
/end argument with illy.