F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: F the NCAA

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Forde must be furiously writing his next hit piece on KU.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I didn't even think about Forde.
He and Laura Bauer would make a great team.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:14 pm Forde must be furiously writing his next hit piece on KU.
Right. "If the NCAA is to retain any shred of credibility after this latest fiasco, then Kansas must be next."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 pm If we had just one less scholly this past summer: no Agbaji.
Or no Return of Vick.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:32 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 pm If we had just one less scholly this past summer: no Agbaji.
Or no Return of Vick.
Nah, we're only at 12 now.

Point being is that KU can't go after fringe guys w/ one less scholarship. That's punishment to all of KU, the fans, and a player like Agbaji.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:35 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:32 pm
Or no Return of Vick.
Nah, we're only at 12 now.

Point being is that KU can't go after fringe guys w/ one less scholarship. That's punishment to all of KU, the fans, and a player like Agbaji.
And the idea is even dumber at the non-revenue-sport level.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

perhaps (likely) i'm wrong, but wouldn't misery have some legal recourse to the ncaa ruling?

or, do they not since they are "voluntarily" adhering to ncaa guidelines?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The point would be to be a punishment to all of KU and the fans.
It is an unfortunate what if for players like Agbaji.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so what's the takeaway from all this?

it seems the best way to deal with the NCAA is to never self-report or admit to any wrongdoing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Deny deny is what they say.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:49 pm perhaps (likely) i'm wrong, but wouldn't misery have some legal recourse to the ncaa ruling?

or, do they not since they are "voluntarily" adhering to ncaa guidelines?
Well, they are appealing through the NCAA process.

As far as taking it to the federal courts b/c of inconsistencies, I suppose they "could." But, the problem is that it seems that UNC is the outlier and not MU. MU's punishment is probably close to being in line with other schools' punishments where they won't have much of a case. There is the real possibility that the UNC case has just enough small nuances, particularly with jurisdictional issues, that a Court would find that the NCAA was fair to MU.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm Deny deny is what they say.
Or "pull the ripcord on what you're doing for Billy when you figure out you don't really want the NCAA poking around any more."

But that's not as catchy.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The NCAA’s shameful and cowardly punishment of Mizzou

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 47545.html
One tutor went rogue with 12 students and the University of Missouri athletic department is fined hundreds of thousands of dollars, docked scholarships, must vacate wins, gets slapped with recruiting restrictions and is even banned from playing in a bowl game next season.

What amounted to institutional academic fraud involving more than a thousand athletes was proven at North Carolina and ... bupkis.

The NCAA is often criticized, especially here, but that’s only because the band of hypocritical, make-it-up-as-they-go, common-sense-below-all-else bureaucrats makes it so dang easy.

Mizzou is taking a harsh penalty here for a misdeed it did not and could not be reasonably expected to know about in real time. The school, by all accounts, cooperated and followed protocols once the misdeeds were known. Mizzou would’ve been better off lying. Or, taking UNC’s example, better off creating, controlling and expanding the misdeeds throughout campus and over many years.

[...]

Anyone who values simple common sense more than years of lawyer-exploited loopholes would conclude that North Carolina should be punished much more harshly than Mizzou.

But the NCAA has long wrapped itself inside of so many nonsensical rules, arbitrarily written without enough consideration for unintended consequences, that it has made itself a literal joke among many institutions it is charged with governing.

[...]

The NCAA created this mess for itself. It created the mess by underfunding its own ability to enforce rules that don’t make sense, and by a decades-long run of rulings and penalties that have convinced many that some schools are protected while others are punished.

Even a shred of self-awareness, common sense or an ability to prioritize the spirit of the made-up law instead of its letter would be a vast improvement.

The NCAA’s entire history would indicate that none of that is coming. Mizzou is the latest school with the tire tracks to prove it.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 am I'm gathering the kids that could get scholarships at MIZZOU will end up finding a scholarship elsewhere.
Maybe a Community College...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
painter

Post by painter »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 pm I’d love to see some even higher profile player/coach - what up Zion and K - get caught with their hand in the cookie jar, only to have the critical mass to squarely put the NCAA on the spot.

In fact, that might be the only thing K could ever do that would actually make him likable.
I would like to see this happen right after Selection Sunday and have the NCAA rule Zion ineligible.
Then have Coach K say "fuck you" to the NCAA and play him anyway and eventually lose to a directional vo-tech school in the 2nd round to make it a complete comedy of errors.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

POTmfD.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

painter wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:33 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 pm I’d love to see some even higher profile player/coach - what up Zion and K - get caught with their hand in the cookie jar, only to have the critical mass to squarely put the NCAA on the spot.

In fact, that might be the only thing K could ever do that would actually make him likable.

I would like to see this happen right after Selection Sunday and have the NCAA rule Zion ineligible.
Then have Coach K say "fuck you" to the NCAA and play him anyway and eventually lose to a directional vo-tech school in the 2nd round to make it a complete comedy of errors.
Isn’t that not so far off from what Arizona did last year?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

not so far off.

but Ayton/Miller isn't as high profile and wouldn't/didn't have that bombshell effect on the narrative that could be achieved by someones like Zion/K.

I mean I think K is one of the slimiest rats around since Splinter in The Secret of the Ooze, don't get me wrong.

But could you imagine the kind of ruckus that might be created if he of all douchers sat for a game like Miller did?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

K’s back surgery = Michael Jordan’s minor league baseball tryout?
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Back to the original post, fuck the NCAA. Tired of their bullshit. Someone working for them just doesn't like Self and/or KU.