F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Geezer

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

I think he will play. I also don’t think the NCAA is going to retroactively attack/investigate schools for anything related to the FBI case. I kind of feel like it’s just going to be “a fresh start” for all the schools.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Haven't they already told Rick Pitino he can't even consider taking a coaching job until after the FBI stuff is done and they can complete they own investigation and decide if he's even allowed to be a college coach again or of he's got to serve a significant ban? If so, that indicates they're going to do their own investigation and possibly hand out punishments where rules were broken. But maybe I misunderstood his comment about what the ncaa told him. I'll try to find the article....I hope you're right about a fresh start, but knowing the ncaa that seems very unlikely...I think schools who can prove they didn't know (or who dont have evidence that shows they did know) may end up being okay since the ncaa cleared the players initially... but if there is evidence the schools were aware or involved then I don't think the ncaa just says "oh well".
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Last edited by jfish26 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you want to 'embed' a twitter post, just paste the URL of the tweet instead of copying the embed code.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

That's some fine embiiding.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You deed it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, with that edit in mind, you sure you want to see the original post?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I would think that there could be a function where clicking "edited" might display the original post. But look at me giving you shit to do.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 am Also, with that edit in mind, you sure you want to see the original post?
That would be so messy imo.

Many corrections are just spelling or grammar corrections.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

The last thing the NCAA wants is to put Kansas on probation. Nothing more will be heard about it.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The NCAA says paying athletes hurts their education. That’s laughable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html
When it comes to preventing young athletes from earning a fair share of the more than $8 billion a year generated by college sports, the National Collegiate Athletic Association is akin to a moralizing street mugger. It’s not enough for the organization to flash a knife and demand players’ wallets; it also has to tell everyone within earshot that, no, actually, empty pockets are good. That’s how the NCAA argues that its amateurism rules — which limit player compensation to tuition, room, board and small cost-of-living stipends, but do not restrict sports administrators such as Alabama football coach Nick Saban from collecting millions — are necessary and justified because they protect and enhance athletes’ educations.

There’s no connection between cash in a player’s hands — or a W-2 form in their mailbox — and their ability to open a textbook or show up to class. But that hasn’t stopped the NCAA from making this case in the court of public opinion and, more recently, in federal court.

[...]

The NCAA is telling Wilken that paying players would have “staggering and destructive implications” for college sports — and for the educations of campus athletes. “Maintaining amateurism,” the organization says on its website, “is crucial to preserving an academic environment in which acquiring a quality education is the first priority.”

How so? According to the NCAA, paid players would study less and play sports more. As its former vice president Oliver Luck once explained, paychecks and the “opportunity to do an autograph signing, or an endorsement” would “distract” campus athletes from “what’s really important, which is the educational component.”

Moreover, the NCAA asserts that permitting pay would make athletes less integrated into their campus communities. If an “athlete was being paid and it changed significantly their lifestyle,” NCAA President Mark Emmert testified in a previous federal antitrust case, “they probably would not be living in a residence hall. They probably would not be eating in the cafeteria, they probably would not be as — as active a member or participant in the life of a campus.”

[...]

Eliminating amateurism probably wouldn’t make athletes like Colter more distracted or more likely to sacrifice school for sports. It would simply allow them to be compensated for the sacrifices they’re already making. Working and earning while attending college isn’t exactly unheard of. According to a Georgetown University study, between 70 and 80 percent of college students are active in the labor market, with roughly 40 percent of undergraduates working at least 30 hours a week and 25 percent of full-time students also working full-time jobs.

NCAA schools don’t tell those students what they can and can’t earn for the sake of academic focus, any more than Georgetown — my alma mater — told me I couldn’t collect a check from my job at the student bookstore because it might distract me from my government homework. Actress Natalie Portman worked on a Star Wars film while enrolled at Harvard . Bumble CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd sold tote bags to raise money for animals affected by the 2010 BP oil spill while she was attending Southern Methodist University. Numerous professional athletes — including current Washington Wizards forward Jeff Green and former Baltimore Ravens lineman John Urschel — have completed undergraduate and graduate degrees while being paid to play sports. Why should campus athletes be held to a separate and unequal standard?

[...]

All anyone needs to know about the assertion made by University of South Carolina President Harris Pastides during the O’Bannon trial — that allowing player pay would “drive a wedge” between athletes and their fellow students — is this: The same people making those claims are busy using the money they don’t spend on athletic labor to build lavish, multimillion-dollar, sports-only training facilities containing barber shops, bowling lanes, movie theaters, beach views and man-made lazy rivers , offering athletes a luxe world separate from the rest of campus.

The NCAA’s assertion that if players are paid, then they won’t study is inarguably paternalistic, arguably racist — would amateurism exist if it was siphoning hundreds of millions of dollars from predominantly white revenue-sport athletes to overwhelmingly black school administrators, and not the other way around?
Deleted User 75

Can someone explain to me why baseball gets treated differently in the eyes of the NCAA? Isn't one of the leading Heisman candidates this year collecting a baseball paycheck?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Of nearly $5 million, yes. Somehow the world hasn't caved in.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:13 pm Can someone explain to me why baseball gets treated differently in the eyes of the NCAA? Isn't one of the leading Heisman candidates this year collecting a baseball paycheck?
If I am not mistaken, it's not that baseball is treated differently. I believe getting paid in a sport different than the one in which you have received a scholarship to play is completely allowable.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:51 pm I fear the NCAA may do exactly that...but it won't happen until after the FBI thing is wrapped up...and who knows when that'll be.

They (NCAA) also have said or at least implied they won't declare anyone involved eligible or ineligible until the FBI says they can get involved, which won't be until the FBI wraps up their stuff.

So while I agree that SDS was previously declared eligible, I don't think that's the same as saying he's positively eligible currently....but he's also not positively ineligible currently...which really puts us in a bad fucking spot if we believe/know what he's accused of is true or somewhat true.
This is not correct. SDS is eligible. He has been cleared. He is 100% positively eligible, currently.
I mean, I get what you're saying...but I am not sure that's how it actually works.

For reference was Marcus Camby eligible too and then they found out shit and retroactively vacated their season? I was like 7 so I don't remember.

I HATE THE NCAA...and I hope Fish is right and the NCAA pretends this never happened....but their "commission" comments made me feel uneasy about that happening.
UMass only vacated 5 games. All from the NCAA tournament. Marcus Camby started taking cash, gifts,and hookers from an agent once the regular season was over. 20,000 dollars or so.
He owned up to it and repaid the school for lost tournament revenue.
LAWRENCENATIVE2

Post by LAWRENCENATIVE2 »

It's a big time program back then for UCON. Not so much now.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/10 ... 6431893505

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/10 ... 0344704000

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/10 ... 8738605057

So here's the thing: if one investigation (into the dealings of one shoe company, and dealing with a small fraction of players and AAU programs) yields this much, then it should be clearer than ever that "rule-breaking" is widespread and that the problem here is the rules themselves.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not necessarily.
The problem may not be the rules but rather the institution enforcing them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah but that institution is the dickwads who made those rules in the first place