F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:16 pm Yeah but that institution is the dickwads who made those rules in the first place
Made the rules, enforce the rules, hide behind the rules, use the rules, benefit from the rules.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Here's a Fair Way to Pay College Athletes for Their Labor

https://deadspin.com/heres-a-fair-way-t ... 1830703869
One of the NCAA’s major arguments against allowing college athletes to be paid is that it would create an uneven playing field. Alabama would be able to devote more money to players than Boise State, which in turn could outspend Akron, and so on. The best talent would flow to the highest bidders. A handful of schools would dominate. If this sounds familiar, it’s because this is how college sports already works—the richest programs consistently attract the top high school recruits and win more games. Amateurism doesn’t foster parity; it simply diverts money away from athletes and toward coaches, administrators, and luxury facilities.

Wherever you stand on this debate, one thing is inarguable: under current NCAA compensation rules, some athletes are getting a much better deal than others. How so? Well, schools are permitted to pay athletes with grant-in-aid scholarships, which are good for tuition and fees, room, board, and books, as well as small cost-of-attendance stipends. College athletes are compensated, as amateurism proponents like to point out, in the form of the full cost of attendance for their respective schools. But the total yearly value of those packages varies wildly from school to school.

That’s not fair. And it needs to change.

Take Minnesota, where I’m a regent. At my school, a full ride for an out-of-state athlete in 2017–18 was worth $37,455 per year. By contrast, a full ride at the most expensive school in the Big Ten, Northwestern, was worth $70,385.

For an out-of-state Minnesota athlete, that’s a difference of $32,930. For an in-state athlete, whose full ride has a lower listed value, it’s an even larger $45,116. That’s not fair for anyone—not for the athletes receiving less, and not for the schools forbidden from making up the difference.

As such, I believe that if the NCAA wants to continue mandating amateurism while asserting that competitive equity is at stake, then it should allow the total compensation received by athletes at any school within a conference to be equal to the highest-value full ride within the same conference. Better still, the NCAA could permit total allowable compensation for every athlete in the nation to equal that of whichever school is the most expensive in a given year.

[...]

They’re owed more than that. In an ideal world, we wouldn’t limit college athlete compensation at all. But in my experience, change within higher education is both hard and slow—the status quo tends to rule the day, at least until lawsuits or lawmakers intervene. Until then, though, change will have to come within the preexisting structure of NCAA amateurism. Equalizing the full value of school attendance is a good place to start.
On principle, I can't stand the idea of engineering "fixes" - the kids should just be allowed to be paid, full stop - but in a world where change will come slowly, I agree that this would be a start.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's a terrible argument.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

They can all sign pro baseball contracts. Problem solved. /s

But seriously, if someone paid the Royals for a development contract to develop and evaluate basketball players as prospects, I am not sure this violates the rules. See Baker Mayfield replacement contract. . .
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Dana carrying some water.

Notes in italics are mine.

Emmert: NCAA will wait until after Final Four to penalize corrupt programs

https://theathletic.com/696211/2018/12/ ... -programs/

[quote]If ever the limitations of the NCAA and its president have been laid bare it is now, as we steamroll toward a second straight NCAA Tournament tipping off beneath the cloud of FBI suspicion. Big-name coaches and blue blood programs — at least one that would make the short list of Final Four contenders and a host that most likely will find their way onto the bracket — have been entered into courtroom transcripts amid allegations of pay for play, threatening to take the shine off of the NCAA’s biggest moment. Yet there is little that either Emmert or his peers in Indianapolis can do about it.

[...]

Down the road, this could be known as the *2019 NCAA Tournament, with who knows what vacated by future rulings. But for now, it will be the see-no-evil monkey March.

Note: And...why is this? What about the 2018-19 season is in question? Zion and Little, I guess? Weird start here.

It is all so exasperating, and it is easy to aim the exasperation at the NCAA. The same organization that double-timed its efforts to form a commission and enact said commission’s recommendations after the FBI shamed college basketball in September 2017 is back to its old glacial pace.

Note: This is what I mean by Dana carrying water - no responsible and influential person should give the NCAA a pass on the ridiculous absolution-by-commission nonsense. The commission was formed to do nothing, it did nothing, you took its recommendation to do nothing, and now you want credit for same. Get the fuck out with this nonsense.

But at least for now, the fish in the barrel don’t deserve the shots.

Note: They do.

[...]

The fact of the matter is, the blame for the lack of immediate action lies not with the governing body but with the very schools it governs.

Note: Put a pin in this one. We will revisit.

While federal laws might limit what the NCAA can do, no one is stopping the schools involved from acting. To date the only one that has is Louisville.

Note: (Silvio nods from the bench.)

The university dismissed everyone and anyone associated with the scandal, handing walking papers to its Hall of Fame coach and the athletics director that essentially resurrected the place. Everywhere else? Nothing. Every head coach whose program was implicated is still coaching; every assistant is still working, and, with the exception of Kansas’ Silvio De Sousa, all of the players are playing. Reading between the lines, Emmert sounded less than pleased about that. “We need to make sure that schools are fulfilling their role and holding everybody accountable,’’ he said. “But the NCAA, as an association of member schools, is built upon the notion of collaboration and collegiality and there’s a notion among the schools that they will all hold themselves accountable and to the extent that doesn’t happen, I think all of the members are not happy with that.’’

Note: Let's get back to that pin above. Saying "blame . . . lies not with the governing body but with the very schools it governs" simply does not square with the fact that all the governing body IS is - in Emmert's words! - "an association of member schools."

This is very, very intentional misdirection.

This is the essence of the problem. While it’s nice that Emmert is as frustrated as the rest of us, he should have more sway than the rest of us. Instead, the FBI scandal has shown just how ineffectual the NCAA is as an organization. No matter how many committees it forms or how many rules it enacts, it cannot compel anyone to do anything. Emmert is largely a figurehead president, his opinions interesting and important but not necessarily effective. Instead, he is at the mercy of a board of governors made up largely of university presidents — the same university presidents who love to raise their sabers about athletic integrity but hide behind contractual legalese and lawyers when trouble finds its way to their doorsteps.

Note: Come ON, Dana! Please exercise even SOME critical thinking here. WHY exactly would university presidents (and administrators and coaches) "hide behind contractual legalese and lawyers" on these matters? Because the status quo is working out just fine for them, right this second.

And Emmert is powerless to stop them. “Individual decisions about a coaching staff or, whether or not a school will declare a player ineligible, those are by design the decisions of the individual schools,’’ he said. “I, the board and others can provide advice and counsel, but at the end of the day, it’s up to those individual schools.’’ And until those schools and presidents find some courage, we will plow toward another March more shady than shining.

Note: I am confused. Find some courage...to do what? Summarily fire their players into the sun? I really cannot comprehend what exactly Dana is trying to accomplish with this story, except to say it (I don't even know what IT is) is the schools' fault, not the governing body's, even though the governing body really only IS the schools.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I haven’t read but Dana has really gone downhill last 5 years or so.

Just a shill. It’s sad, she had some talent.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Do you figure this means De Sousa’s out for the season?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I figure it means we should not expect Indianapolis to give anything like an "all-clear."
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Mark Few: NCAA should have more urgency in corruption investigation https://es.pn/2BaKTMD
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 pm Mark Few: NCAA should have more urgency in corruption investigation https://es.pn/2BaKTMD
wow...shot across the bow of unc and roy there at the end
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Few wants a real job and knows he won't get it until someone is drummed out of the business -- be it Roy, Bill, Cal, or K.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 pm Mark Few: NCAA should have more urgency in corruption investigation https://es.pn/2BaKTMD
Which part?

I thought it was interesting he singled out Tennessee and Villanova as clean, and then basically implied we are dirty and need to be dealt with because we are competing for final fours and national titles.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:30 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 pm
Which part?

I thought it was interesting he singled out Tennessee and Villanova as clean, and then basically implied we are dirty and need to be dealt with because we are competing for final fours and national titles.
paraphrasing...he said 2 out of the last 3 nat’l champions do it the “right” way

nova
unc
nova
Deleted User 75

Of all the coaches that have come out and said this stuff, he's the only 1 I think has even a slight chance of being clean.

When K and Roy did this it did not feel as genuine. Felt defensive sort of.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Must be Opposite Day. Bruce Pearl was filthy. Capital F.
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm Of all the coaches that have come out and said this stuff, he's the only 1 I think has even a slight chance of being clean.

I’m not sure you’d disagree, but: I just can’t imagine that *any* coach who has recruited high major talent from shoe-company-sponsored grassroots teams (which Few has) is truly “clean”.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:15 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm Of all the coaches that have come out and said this stuff, he's the only 1 I think has even a slight chance of being clean.

I’m not sure you’d disagree, but: I just can’t imagine that *any* coach who has recruited high major talent from shoe-company-sponsored grassroots teams (which Few has) is truly “clean”.
No doubt.

I have this feeling we are going to get slammed by the ncaa when this is all over....the next round of trials will be very telling....if there aren't some massive bombshells that directly implicate some other bluebloods like UK Duke or UNC, (which seems somewhat unlikely since it would be irrelevant to the cases involving the assistants from Nike schools that were dealing with Code and Dawkins as well), then the group of schools where evidence was presented that directly implicates them might get slammed....and then the ncaa will say "see it wasn't widespread, it was just these 10 or so schools".

I'm doubtful we are going to see texts or phone calls by guys like K Cal or Roy...and unfortunately KT or whoever texting about how "duke does it" simply isn't going to be enough to prove they're doing it too.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

But we already all known it is widespread. Fucking Creighton was involved...ante'd up and at the table. If Creighton, okie light, etc are doing it then you damn right everyone is those fucksticks up in spokane included. The high and mighty zags can go fuck themselves. Living in the nw gives you a different perspective on zaga and their dipshit fanbase.

At least theyre not oregon ducks i guess. Thats the only good thing about gonzaga.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:22 am

No doubt.

I have this feeling we are going to get slammed by the ncaa when this is all over....the next round of trials will be very telling....if there aren't some massive bombshells that directly implicate some other bluebloods like UK Duke or UNC, (which seems somewhat unlikely since it would be irrelevant to the cases involving the assistants from Nike schools that were dealing with Code and Dawkins as well), then the group of schools where evidence was presented that directly implicates them might get slammed....and then the ncaa will say "see it wasn't widespread, it was just these 10 or so schools".

I'm doubtful we are going to see texts or phone calls by guys like K Cal or Roy...and unfortunately KT or whoever texting about how "duke does it" simply isn't going to be enough to prove they're doing it too.

There is no common sense in this whole process. KT discussing payment for Zion and the "minimum he will accept" with his handler but he went to Duke for free. Comeon. That should implicate Duke with or without texts
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:22 am

No doubt.

There is no common sense in this whole process. KT discussing payment for Zion and the "minimum he will accept" with his handler but he went to Duke for free. Comeon. That should implicate Duke with or without texts
I'm admittedly hoping against hope on this one, but god damn would it be sweet if it turns out to matter that Duke played Zion, and we held Billy/Silvio out.