F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Why are you so against these players being able to make their lives better financially while also attending college and working towards earning a degree?

Nobody wants the colleges involved in paying players.

But the players should be able to make their own money from outside entities not associated with the school or ncaa. Not sure why the NCAA thinks they have the right to control players to that extent.
Deleted User 75

But either way it seems PDub is set up to be disappointed...because it's pretty obvious our coaches don't think it is wrong, so I expect our players to continue to receive illegal benefits regardless. 1 of the ways would be significantly safer for them (and us)...and the other results in embarrassing incidents like KT and Self being caught in close relationships with guys who pay our players.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:35 am The subject was that things weren't fair, like dorm or locker rooms. [1]
Business and engineering students also don't get many of the advantages/benefits that a KU basketball player does. [2]
There are also examples of students getting underpaid or not paid at all for work they do at a university to better their experience and connections. [3]

I think you open a can of worms ( and there's already lots of cans of lots of worms ) that would result in even more venues a universities athletic department could funnel money into buying the best players if you allowed players to take jobs or merchandise money.[4] I would prefer the opposite of that. [5]
1. It was a mistake for you to introduce business and engineering students into this (and you know that).

2. ...among the reasons why this statement is true is because the Rules require it to be true. The Rules make it so that value must be delivered to the players in stupid ways (locker room and luxury dorms), and dangerous/harmful ways (agents and middlemen; "mentors"; cash under the table that potentially subjects kids to tax problems).

3. The point is not to ensure everyone gets exactly what they deserve. The point is that every student should be allowed to access whatever market for their services might exist. If Steve Stoner thinks he can do better than $8/hour at the bookstore, he's free to find another job. If Christina Embeeyay gets great grades and can choose between internships paying $1,500 or $2,000 per week, based on which one she likes best for whatever reason, she can do that.

4. If anything, opening up N/I/L would democratize recruiting.

5. You say this either with your fingers in your ears and your eyes closed, or (much more cynically) with an acceptance, or even an embrace, of a system that is inherently biased against minorities and poor people.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And before you answer to #3, "the players are free to go elsewhere" - it baffles me why anyone who likes college basketball would want good players to want to be anywhere else before they're ready for the NBA.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:57 am And before you answer to #3, "the players are free to go elsewhere" - it baffles me why anyone who likes college basketball would want good players to want to be anywhere else before they're ready for the NBA.
Especially if you're truly concerned about these recruits future success....because most of the don't make it to the NBA, so having a college degree (or a head start on 1) would be great for them if they don't make it professionally in athletics.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang fish, good knowing ya!

cuz now you’re gonna be banned for using Steve Stoner’s real name.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:57 am "the players are free to go elsewhere"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, cuz “we can stand to loose some talent” is always a good strategy for a business - especially an entertainment business!

I’m sure all those lucrative media companies will be just itching at the chance to outbid one another for the contracts to broadcast that third tier hoops league.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

College basketball will still be entertaining without the top 50-100 high schoolers.
In fact, there may be more upperclassmen, which I'm down with.
Deleted User 75

Sorry, but you're wrong.

It won't be more entertaining.

It's why D2 doesn't have any games on ESPN throughout the week.

It's why the teams who are filled with future NBA players get the prime time slots on TV every night.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:27 pm Sorry, but you're wrong.

It's why the teams who are filled with future NBA players get the prime time slots on TV every night.
But you're missing the point: pdub is ok with less talent, even if it means less general interest and, accordingly, less coverage.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:27 pm Sorry, but you're wrong.

But you're missing the point: pdub is ok with less talent, even if it means less general interest and, accordingly, less coverage.
Pdub probably also thinks our players aren't receiving improper benefits....even though it's very obvious that nearly all of them are. (At least the good ones)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I watch college basketball ( and a lot of people watch college sports in general ) because of the school/the program and not because I want to see one year of Andrew Wiggins before he plays the rest of his career for the Timberwolves.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So you didn’t even bother watching the 13-14 season?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Frank Mason yo!
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:18 pm So you didn’t even bother watching the 13-14 season?
I watched it. Watched it very closely.

But I sometimes forget that CA, XH, AW, JE, CD, JJ, JS, KO are JAYHAWKS until someone reminds me. Impossible for a oad to make much of a lasting impression on me the phan.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well if you prefer upperclassmen, then instead of Mason that year you must’ve preferred watching ol’ Milf Tits junior instead.

Or did you forget he was a Jayhawk too?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:26 pm Well if you prefer upperclassmen, then instead of Mason that year you must’ve preferred watching ol’ Milf Tits junior instead.
Don't know who that is.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tharpe.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

He was a 3rd year upperclassman and the leader of the team that year.