F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: F the NCAA

Post by NDballer13 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:23 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:18 pm So you didn’t even bother watching the 13-14 season?
I watched it. Watched it very closely.

But I sometimes forget that CA, XH, AW, JE, CD, JJ, JS, KO are JAYHAWKS until someone reminds me. Impossible for a oad to make much of a lasting impression on me the phan.
Kind of like how it took me a while to figure out who you were talking about.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:23 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:18 pm So you didn’t even bother watching the 13-14 season?
I watched it. Watched it very closely.

But I sometimes forget that CA...
I know that you mean Cliff here, but when I see CA, my mind automatically goes to Cole Aldrich.

You know, the guy who played 8 NBA seasons and who would have LOVED to have been a four-year guy @ KU. He couldn't stay for senior night, though.

Cuz his pops got laid off and his folks were broke.

Good thing his only option was to turn pro.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

don’t feel bad for goins at all, particularly because he could have, according to the article, gone a number of places other than msu and not felt compelled to take out a loan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

N.C.A.A. Clock May Be Running Out on Graduate Transfers

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/spor ... sfers.html
The graduate transfer rule, the rare N.C.A.A. regulation that gives leverage to the athlete, has been used by hundreds of players since it was relaxed in 2011. And at a moment when athletic admission graft, shoe company payola and questions about whether a transcendent (and unpaid) figure like Zion Williamson should even risk playing college basketball at all, the graduate transfer rule casts the beleaguered N.C.A.A. as reasonable and almost munificent.

It is also a rule that may not last much longer.

In two weeks, the N.C.A.A.’s primary legislative body, the Division I Council, will vote on a measure that could severely restrict graduate transfers. The proposed rule change would require that colleges accepting graduate transfers be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.

[...]

Justin Sell, the athletic director at South Dakota State who led the Division I transfer working group that developed the proposal, said that too often graduate transfers in men’s basketball and football had little interest in obtaining graduate degrees.

“We really want to protect against the football player who is done and leaves in December and the basketball player who is done and leaves in March,” Sell said. “A lot of students are looking to use it to play another year. Who’s seriously there for the master’s?”

[...]

Sell conceded objections about practicality (many graduate programs take two years to complete) and fairness (the rule does not apply to athletes who compete as graduate students without transferring) were fair, but said his group’s intent was to “manage behavior.”

“When you’re trying to manage behavior and put together policies and rules in trying to create ethical behavior and integrity, there are challenges to that,” Sell said. “It’s really hard to police integrity.”
1. The "manage behavior" quote should end up in lawsuits.

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/1114152223473315840
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This is infuriating.

And, I wonder if they even realized they just undermined their reasoning for making non-graduated basketball/football/baseball transfers sit out for one year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You think they care about consistency?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Burn it down.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

"Who’s seriously there for the master’s?”

how many D1 hoops and football athletes are seriously there for an undergraduate degree in the first place?
Deleted User 89

lol at the idea that zion wasn’t paid
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I'm about 90% positive deadspin has an axe to grind with just about every major d1 university. I know they want people to read their articles, which I did but most of the time their act is tired.

As far as Goines is concerned sure he took out a 17k loan but I am willing to bet he could make that money and more from the lifetime of autograph signing sessions and other related activities from MSU for the rest of his life.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 am
I'm about 90% positive deadspin has an axe to grind with just about every major d1 university. I know they want people to read their articles, which I did but most of the time their act is tired.

As far as Goines is concerned sure he took out a 17k loan but I am willing to bet he could make that money and more from the lifetime of autograph signing sessions and other related activities from MSU for the rest of his life.
But this is not so similar from the "scholarship, room and board is enough" nonsense.

The fact that Goins can possibly monetize his notoriety somewhere down the line to pay that loan back...is not the point.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Goines didn't have to play at MSU.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

NCAA ‘aggressively’ pursuing evidence in college basketball corruption trial, NCAA president says

And then

In a separate court filing in March, prosecutors representing the U.S. government in the case said they intended to oppose the release of the evidence, noting the NCAA had requested 24 exhibits of evidence that were not admitted into an October trial.

And of course

The defense in the case argued that the coaches, including Self and KU assistant coach Kurtis Townsend, were aware of the payments to players. Despite the argument, the jury found all three men guilty of defrauding universities, including KU, by providing money to players’ families to push them toward certain programs.

So in a Federal court the argument that Self and Kurtis were aware of the payments didn't hold up and the jury said they were guilty.

Yet the Clowns or Jokers if you like the NCAA wants the evidence to go after KU for
what?????? MAN these clowns decide to pursue KU and the Federal prosecutors are going to have a huge problem....
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am "Who’s seriously there for the master’s?”

how many D1 hoops and football athletes are seriously there for an undergraduate degree in the first place?
My cousin went to and played for Maryland for 4 years (including one redshirt season) and did the grad transfer route to finish his last year of eligibility at Rutgers and finished 9 credits shy of his Masters. After a few years of pursuing pro football options, he finished up his masters and has now leveraged those two football-provided degrees into an excellent job. With zero student loans taken on.

Honestly, there's probably a lot more players using their degrees than the public realizes.
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am "Who’s seriously there for the master’s?”

My cousin went to and played for Maryland for 4 years (including one redshirt season) and did the grad transfer route to finish his last year of eligibility at Rutgers and finished 9 credits shy of his Masters. After a few years of pursuing pro football options, he finished up his masters and has now leveraged those two football-provided degrees into an excellent job. With zero student loans taken on.

Honestly, there's probably a lot more players using their degrees than the public realizes.
i think the point was that getting a degree wasn’t the primary reason they went to college
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it's like the tail wagging the dog, or one of those expressions like that.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Here’s a good story about how his time in Lawrence changed KJ’s mind about getting a degree and about life after basketball.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... of-kansas/
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:45 pm Goines didn't have to play at MSU.
What’s your point?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Maybe that goins had scholarship offers from mid majors and smaller schools and stuff. But chose to walk on at msu instead.

Or maybe not.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"