Late Night 2018

Kansas Basketball.
LVCHawk

Late Night 2018

Post by LVCHawk »

Crtrrt

Re: Late Night 2018

Post by Crtrrt »

Anyone know who will performing this year?
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Over the years I’ve noticed that a lot of recruits choose Late Night for their official visit. I’m thinking that Game Day or Big Monday games would be better to show them what it’s like. Am I wrong?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
BLACKMILD33

Post by BLACKMILD33 »

kubandalum wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 pm Over the years I’ve noticed that a lot of recruits choose Late Night for their official visit. I’m thinking that Game Day or Big Monday games would be better to show them what it’s like. Am I wrong?
then there wouldn't be a such thing as late night
ROCKCHALKJAYHAWK
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

I thought Late Night was for students and fans. Somehow I don’t see skits, dances, and a scrimmage determining a recruit’s choice.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

kubandalum wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 am I thought Late Night was for students and fans. Somehow I don’t see skits, dances, and a scrimmage determining a recruit’s choice.
I've always felt this way. If I were a recruit, a gameday experience would be much more meaningful (not to mention WAY more entertaining and fun) than late night. I've never been a huge fan of late night, there's a lot of sitting around, I don't really like the skits. (And from a recruits persepctive, all I would think is 'holy shit, I gotta do a lame ass dance in front of 16,300 people!'). Some of the pre-filmed pieces, which are relatively new, are pretty funny/entertaining, and usually Self's involvement is pretty good. Otherwise, there's a lot of boring waiting for a pretty meaningless scrimmage (which I love because I'm a KU hoops junkie)...but I've always questioned whether the juice was worth the squeeze.

I think logistically, Late night works out better than a gameday...especially now that midnight madness can be basically whenever so recruits can go to multiple iterations. Plus, I think the coaches and staff can do more when they're not also prepping for a game and it's more of a showcase type of deal. I assume the recruit late night experience is much different/better than the fan late night experience...which is improved but still not my thing.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 am
kubandalum wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 am I thought Late Night was for students and fans. Somehow I don’t see skits, dances, and a scrimmage determining a recruit’s choice.
I've always felt this way. If I were a recruit, a gameday experience would be much more meaningful (not to mention WAY more entertaining and fun) than late night. I've never been a huge fan of late night, there's a lot of sitting around, I don't really like the skits. (And from a recruits persepctive, all I would think is 'holy shit, I gotta do a lame ass dance in front of 16,300 people!'). Some of the pre-filmed pieces, which are relatively new, are pretty funny/entertaining, and usually Self's involvement is pretty good. Otherwise, there's a lot of boring waiting for a pretty meaningless scrimmage (which I love because I'm a KU hoops junkie)...but I've always questioned whether the juice was worth the squeeze.

I think logistically, Late night works out better than a gameday...especially now that midnight madness can be basically whenever so recruits can go to multiple iterations. Plus, I think the coaches and staff can do more when they're not also prepping for a game and it's more of a showcase type of deal. I assume the recruit late night experience is much different/better than the fan late night experience...which is improved but still not my thing.
I agree with this entire take. Not the biggest fan of Late Night. Think it's very overrated. And if I were a recruit, I would schedule a visit for this biggest home game of the year. Which in this case is Villanova or Big Monday game against kstate. The true Allen Fieldhouse atmosphere is in those games, not in Late Night.

But also like you mentioned, the staff can do a lot more considering they are not in the middle of game prep and worrying about all of that. It's probably the only time that the coaches can focus solely on the recruit while they are on campus.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The biggest ovation at Late Night is when they bring out the recruits to their seats. You don't get an opportunity like that at a game.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

You sure about that? I've seem to remember reading plenty of instances about recruits visiting during games and sitting behind the benches and them talking about the ovations they got from the student section.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

A week from tonight.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:45 am You sure about that? I've seem to remember reading plenty of instances about recruits visiting during games and sitting behind the benches and them talking about the ovations they got from the student section.
No, not sure.

I think the groupthink aspect also helps, having all the recruits in at once, including guys who are committed or that will be committing. And seeing all the other top prospects also considering the school.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’M LEAVING THE BUILDING 💨 <a href="https://twitter.com/qdotgrimes?ref_src= ... tgrimes</a> <a href="https://t.co/MHp7zxe8Cl">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Overtime (@overtime) <a href="https://twitter.com/overtime/status/104 ... >September 24, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
BLACKMILD33

Post by BLACKMILD33 »

Rumor going around that for late night is supposed to be 2 Chainz
ROCKCHALKJAYHAWK
Judy_Jayhawk

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

Anyone know which recruits are attending?
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Sad day when KU basketball tries to be like UK basketball - with the "musical performer/s" and late night "hype".

In all seriousness, "Late night" is a nice evening for all involved. That being said, if ANY recruit says that "Late Night" was the deciding factor on why he chose KU, I would probably prefer he chose elsewhere to go.

Advantages of attending Late Night for a recruit - You get a better chance to hang out with and get to know the current players during the day/night before and day/night of? You get to see their personalities? It's a laid back atmosphere?
Still - NOTHING compares to the atmosphere of being at Allen during a game when school is in session and the students are in full force.
I would 100% chose to have a recruit come during a game over Late Night but my goal would be to have a recruit come to both - if he didn't sign after coming to Late Night.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

late night is easier for scheduling...high school ball hasn’t started yet
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

https://twitter.com/kuhoops/status/1044 ... 89059?s=21

You ready for these badass mothaf*ckas?!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

either it’s just a good camera angle or Lightfoot got some guns.

Udoka is a massive human being.

If you had to pick who was the best dunker on the team just by the photo, who would you choose?
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Not much fat on Dok.

I would go Dok for best dunker if the picture was the only basis for a judgement.