Radio Network

Kansas Basketball.
Leawood

Radio Network

Post by Leawood »

Having to work. I'm sorry. I've said it again. Brian sounds like a weenie.
Deleted User 89

Re: Radio Network

Post by Deleted User 89 »

he totally does

i miss Max
KUrt

Post by KUrt »

I can never understand Gurley. Garble garble garble. He and Hanni neither have great voices to be heard clearly on AM radio with static. And with 810, there's lots of static around most of KC. Stinking Zenger.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Loved Max and Bob.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

Not only do they have crummy radio voices, they also have some weird expressions that drive me crazy.

"Took it to the cup" - as opposed to the hoop, the basket or any of a half dozen other synonyms for the goal

"You can rock chalk it up" - at the end of the game, when we win.

There are others but those are the ones that annoy me the most. I agree, I liked Bob and Max better. But Chris Piper wasn't bad as a color guy, I wish they'd can Gurley and get Chris back. David Lawrence is good as the color guy for football, but he can't overcome how bad Hanni is, nor can he compensate for the shit we've called KU football for the last few years. I was hoping they'd hire KU alum Kevin Harlan to replace Bob, but KU can't afford to pay him anything close to what he makes for Westwood One/CBS ($400k per year). Actually I think Josh Klingler would do better as well, and I think he was one of the candidates when they hired Hanni.

If 810 is too staticky, google "Jayhawk radio network" and go to the kuathletics.com link. About halfway down the page, after the station list, is the link to the audio feed. You can listen to it for free. The only disadvantage to that is you'll be about 30 seconds behind real time, but at least it gets rid of the static
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Tell your ECHO device to play the “Kansas Jayhawk IMG sports network”on TuneIn. The pregame shows start one hour before tip. There’s also a wrap up show after the game.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have the tune-in app on my phone. I'll listen to the post game show, but I've never listened to the pregame.
Defense. Rebounds.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

If you download the Kansas Jayhawks app, you can find the live-audio feed and listen to any game. It's a free app.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I happen to like Gurley because he has a good tailgate during football season, went to SM South (I went to East), and is friends with Coach Self.

I think we are stuck with Brian. I need to learn to like him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He's way better in interviews. Usually comes up with pretty good questions. Way better than David Lawrence in that regard. If he just cut out the cheese, he'd be fine on play-by-play.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm He's way better in interviews. Usually comes up with pretty good questions. Way better than David Lawrence in that regard. If he just cut out the cheese, he'd be fine on play-by-play.
Yes. Unfortunately he can't fix his voice, which is just too...gummy?...to be pleasing for play-by-play.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:13 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm He's way better in interviews. Usually comes up with pretty good questions. Way better than David Lawrence in that regard. If he just cut out the cheese, he'd be fine on play-by-play.
Yes. Unfortunately he can't fix his voice, which is just too...gummy?...to be pleasing for play-by-play.
It's kind of weird. I listened one time on XM radio to a Texas Tech game, when he was there. He wasn't nearly this cheesy. Talked faster. I just think he's trying too hard here. This is his dream job and he doesn't want to screw it up too much.

My biggest problem with him is his pace of talking He has this slower pace that is frustrating.. Drags everything out.

On the Jayhawkkkkk I...M...G.... NNNNNetwooorrrrkkkkk..
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 am This is his dream job and he doesn't want to screw it up too much.
Well if that's what he's trying to do he's failing miserably. The comments here are a good reflection of what other KU fans I've talked to also think, people who would never dream of posting on a message board.

I hear other school's play by play guys frequently on the local Iowa radio stations - Iowa, ISU, Northern Iowa and Drake - and they're all better than our guys, even Drake. Sad.
Last edited by jhawk73 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Hard to follow up a legend like Bob Davis. There was a time when I muted the TV and listened to Bob, Max, Pipe, etc. Now not so much the case.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I've never done play-by-play, so I'm not sure if it is possible to just use your normal voice when doing so.

Thing is, Hanni's normal post-game voice is just fine--use that one! And, I disagree with 73 in that Hanni's call is actually really good. Just cut out the cheese.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think there's a very, very obvious guy who would be an experienced, immediate upgrade (and it's not Harlan), but he has an angle into bigger stages than local play-by-play.
jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:05 am Hard to follow up a legend like Bob Davis. There was a time when I muted the TV and listened to Bob, Max, Pipe, etc. Now not so much the case.
I used to do that too. Most notably during the 2008 national championship game, but also whenever Douchie V was covering us on ESPN. Our current team doesnt rate that at all.
jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 am Hanni's normal post-game voice is just fine--use that one! And, I disagree with 73 in that Hanni's call is actually really good. Just cut out the cheese.
Hes a bit nasally. That's not changeable. But I agree he'd be a whole lot more tolerable if he'd cut out the stupid Vitale-esque expressions. "The cup" drives me bonkers! That one even Gurley is doing now too. 😝
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'll take "the cup" over "the long arm of the law" any day. Where did that even come from?
Defense. Rebounds.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Rock Chaallkkkk it uppppp
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦