Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 104

Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Don't worry people, this has happened before.
Deleted User 183

Re: Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Post by Deleted User 183 »

I happen to agree we very well may still win at least a share but admit I can't recall exactly when this has happened before.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah I still have optimism for this team.

anybody really think Baylor's gonna win out? LOL
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

To grab a share we have to win on the road. So far we have not shown we can win on the road.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

remaining road games:

2/11 @ TCU (ousdahl's birthday!)
2/23 @ Tech
3/2 @ OSU
3/5 @ OU

Baylor and KSU still gotta come play in Lawrence.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

I’m just not seeing it this year. I hope I’m wrong but this doesn’t even resemble a team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

we kinda looked like a team with Vick on the bench, but it's not like we have much of an option.

but for real how many teams could loose THREE of their best players and still be even remotely competitive?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We didn't lose sds for this season. We never had him to begin with. Can't lose something you never had.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

he was a big part of our preseason #1 ranking, a big part of why this was supposed to be one of the best college basketball frontcourts in years, and we thought we were gonna have him up until within a couple days of the season starting.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

He was a small part of those things. Dok and Dedric were the big parts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so if he had him now, he would only be playing a "small" role for us?
Deleted User 75

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:22 am so if he had him now, he would only be playing a "small" role for us?
We don't. He's playing no role for us. And he never will again most likely.

How many minutes per game are we playing 2 bigs? Not many. Who knows how that'd change with SDS. Might not change much at all.

You're acting like SDS is miles better than DMac, and he's not. They were originally in the same recruiting class and were similarly ranked. SDS has some experience advantage because of last year....but DMac has been on the roster (active) for about the same amount of games as SDS played in last year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeSousa showed more than McCormack has so far.
There's still season left but sophomore DeSousa would have been better than any of our bigs off the bench.
We played Lightfoot significant minutes last night ( to be fair, he played maybe the best he has this season ).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am We didn't lose sds for this season. We never had him to begin with. Can't lose something you never had.
SDS is using one of the scholarships that if he was not here could have gone to a recruit who could potentially be playing. The roster was built on the assumption that SDS would be playing so yes, he counts as a lost player.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:32 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:22 am so if he had him now, he would only be playing a "small" role for us?
We don't. He's playing no role for us. And he never will again most likely.

How many minutes per game are we playing 2 bigs? Not many. Who knows how that'd change with SDS. Might not change much at all.

You're acting like SDS is miles better than DMac, and he's not. They were originally in the same recruiting class and were similarly ranked. SDS has some experience advantage because of last year....but DMac has been on the roster (active) for about the same amount of games as SDS played in last year.
You lost me at SDS not being miles better than McCormack. Come on. DeSousa was better a year ago than McCormack is now and my assumption is that DeSousa would have improved nicely from a year ago had he been eligible and playing as first big off the bench all year.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 am He was a small part of those things. Dok and Dedric were the big parts.
As big of a part as he would have been, it's still hard to expect Dok to play more than 25 minutes per game. And Dedric wasn't going to play all 40 every night. 2 bigs would have been the primary rotation and the first one off the bench would have gotten ~20 minutes. That's not a small part.
Deleted User 75

How do you even know that?

Last year SDS HAD to play. The other option was mitch..we had 2 bigs and that's it. SDS had an experienced backcourt.

If DMac was forced into a role like SDS was last year then I imagine he'd have more positive moments....DMac has had good moments this year on a worse roster and with less opportunity.

I'm not saying SDS isn't currently better than Dmac, he probably is....but they're comparable players. It's not like comparing Dok to Mitch.....DMac and SDS are comparable.
Deleted User 75

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 am He was a small part of those things. Dok and Dedric were the big parts.
As big of a part as he would have been, it's still hard to expect Dok to play more than 25 minutes per game. And Dedric wasn't going to play all 40 every night. 2 bigs would have been the primary rotation and the first one off the bench would have gotten ~20 minutes. That's not a small part.
Dok and Dedric would have both spent time as the lone big....so even if Dok averages 25mpg and Dedric averages 30mpg, then yes there are 25 additional minutes that need filled.....but some of those would be consumed by Garrett playing as small ball 4.

So, it could have been a small part. Could have been all 25min as the other big, but that is assuming no small ball. We will never know....but I agree Dok wasn't going to average 30+mpg under any circumstances most likely.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:34 am How do you even know that?

Last year SDS HAD to play. The other option was mitch..we had 2 bigs and that's it. SDS had an experienced backcourt.

If DMac was forced into a role like SDS was last year then I imagine he'd have more positive moments....DMac has had good moments this year on a worse roster and with less opportunity.

I'm not saying SDS isn't currently better than Dmac, he probably is....but they're comparable players. It's not like comparing Dok to Mitch.....DMac and SDS are comparable.
We have SEEN that DeSousa would quickly learn and handle the pressure if put in the situation. We dont have to hope he would like we would with McCormack. You seem to be comparing last year's SDS with current McCormack when that isn't the reality.
Deleted User 75

The reality is that SDS isn't miles better than DMac.

You seem to be pretending SDS didn't have plenty of weaknesses that were largely covered up by having a veteran squad full of guards around him. He was good, but also put in a situation where we had no other option at big, and where he had a great chance to succeed because of Graham, and to a lesser extent Malik, Svi, and Vick.