Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:47 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm I am sure your resume with Saluki nation, Assistant Manager of the Dairy Queen and Orr holder at Madame Horse, uh, horse holder at Madame Orr's House is quite impressive....
I'm going to assume your resume doesn't include anything about being a professional comedian because that was not funny.
Google
No thanks.

Typically if people need to use Google to understand a joke then it's a good indication it wasn't funny.

Also, you're not going to make me feel bad about myself by saying I work at DQ (great chicken tenders fwiw) or by mentioning I went to SIUC and not KU. I could have gone to KU, but chose not to. 17 year olds don't always make good decisions, but my life has worked out well. So no complaints.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it'd cheapen it from that point forward but as far as 14str8t?
Nah.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:28 pm Matt Taint has an article about how the Big12 could potentially end in a 5 way tie. And he lays out a potential scenario where KU, KSU, TTU, ISU, and Baylor all finish the year 11-7

This is obviously unlikely. But my question is, if we ended up winning the conference with a record of 11-7 and sharing it with 2, 3, or 4 other teams, how much, if any, would that cheapen the streak?
Nope. None at all for me. If the other Big 12 teams cant take advantage then thats on them.
Deleted User 75

I agree. Doesn't cheapen it. Just as the unbalanced schedule for part of it doesn't cheapen it...and just like it won't be cheapened (to me personally) if last season's wins are vacated.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:15 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:47 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm going to assume your resume doesn't include anything about being a professional comedian because that was not funny.
Google
No thanks.

Typically if people need to use Google to understand a joke then it's a good indication it wasn't funny.

Also, you're not going to make me feel bad about myself by saying I work at DQ (great chicken tenders fwiw) or by mentioning I went to SIUC and not KU. I could have gone to KU, but chose not to. 17 year olds don't always make good decisions, but my life has worked out well. So no complaints.
Good you don't have to Google part of my message...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:53 am

No doubt.

Which is exactly why whatever was done in the past means nothing. They're setting new precedents. And that makes me nervous.
It's still surprising to me that they're taking actions now, before anything has really come to light about Nike.
They're trying to get the U of A punishment out of the way so they can close their book on nike (no pun intended!).

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... 45024?s=21
I am, I said.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Mark Phelps is garbage
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Great swimmer though.

Wait. Wrong guy. Nevermind
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Soklous wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 am

It's still surprising to me that they're taking actions now, before anything has really come to light about Nike.
They're trying to get the U of A punishment out of the way so they can close their book on nike (no pun intended!).

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... 45024?s=21
Anybody able to translate fucking Goodman into English for me?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Easier to understand than a lot of yours.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm I think it would add fuel to the fire for the critics who try to cheapen the achievement now.

We've never lost more than 5 conference games during the streak. If we win it going 11-7, which is barely above .500, I think people would be pretty critical that you can win your conference title being two bad nights away from a .500 record.

People already bring up the unbalanced schedule and ties as ways to demean our accomplishment. If there was a 3,4, or 5-way tie, people are going to point out that half the conference wins the title so it's not really an impressive accomplishment.
as a stand-alone title i would probably agree, but as it relates to the streak i still don't think it would be a big deal
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm I think it would add fuel to the fire for the critics who try to cheapen the achievement now.

We've never lost more than 5 conference games during the streak. If we win it going 11-7, which is barely above .500, I think people would be pretty critical that you can win your conference title being two bad nights away from a .500 record.

People already bring up the unbalanced schedule and ties as ways to demean our accomplishment. If there was a 3,4, or 5-way tie, people are going to point out that half the conference wins the title so it's not really an impressive accomplishment.
as a stand-alone title i would probably agree, but as it relates to the streak i still don't think it would be a big deal
Obviously it won't to us, and as pdub pointed out, we already have the record without a 4-way tie or without a lousy record mixed in. But I sorta meant would it impact national perception and I'm not sure it would, but it would definitely provide added ammunition to the people already trying to downplay the accomplishment.

I guess, I was envisioning us extending the streak, but having this anomally of a season, where if we actually went 11-7 and in a 4-way tie. So had the streak gone to say 18 or 20, and you had this weird outlier at year 15, how would that be viewed.

But...it's looking more and more like we're gonna have a hard time winning it this year so maybe it's a moot point.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

agreed
Deleted User 75

At a certain point this streak starts to make the big 12 look pretty lousy imo.

And in the grand scheme of things, outside KU fan base, most people care more about final 4s and national championships than who wins regular season conference titles.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 am At a certain point this streak starts to make the big 12 look pretty lousy imo.

And in the grand scheme of things, outside KU fan base, most people care more about final 4s and national championships than who wins regular season conference titles.
Which is why I think it's so important that other Big12 teams have tournament success. There was a stretch during the streak were it seemed like every Big12 team lost earlier than they were seeded in the tourney. If there were a few more non-KU final fours or elite eights from the big12 it would make the accomplishment look even better.

Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 am At a certain point this streak starts to make the big 12 look pretty lousy imo.

Which is why I think it's so important that other Big12 teams have tournament success. There was a stretch during the streak were it seemed like every Big12 team lost earlier than they were seeded in the tourney. If there were a few more non-KU final fours or elite eights from the big12 it would make the accomplishment look even better.
I agree.

And right or wrong (wrong imo) people largely judge conferences by post season success.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am

I agree.

And right or wrong (wrong imo) people largely judge conferences by post season success.
Well, obviously it's a factor and an important one, maybe the single most important one, but it's definitely not the only thing that matters. And I think you're right, for many, it's the only thing they look at.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Perception and reality are 2 different things though. Of the years in the streak, how many were the Big 12 a top 2/3 conference by all metrics/stats? You'll see people say things like the Big East and ACC got more teams in the tourney, so they are better. They also have 16 teams compared to 10. Yeah, they are more likely going to get more. It's not like they are beating up on a one bid league year after year.

If people want to base their success on NC and FF, more power to them, but I'm not one. I've said many times that NCs are fun and all, but you can't tell me a team that goes 31-8, 3rd in conference losing in the semis of a conference tourney, was more successful than a team that went 37-2, winning both the regular season and post season, just because the former won a single elimination tourney in March.

2012 will always be considered a better year than 2011 and 2010. Why? Anyone who knows anything about those 3 seasons will know that 2012 had the worst season, outside of one single elimination tournament.
Deleted User 75

Agree about 2012 compared to 2010 and 2011....but you don't become legends in December and January, you do it in April. The 2 years prior were better teams, no doubt about it, but 2012 is the 1 who gets the glory because of their magical run.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The past like 3 tournaments the Big 12 has been very good in the tourney.