Och

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Och

Post by Deleted User 75 »

NBA franchises pay scouts big bucks to not need more than a couple months of looking at a guy to determine his potential. The college game is also so much slower and such a different style that I'm not sure game play factors in as much as we'd think. They get this kid in for a workout, judge his character, see his intangibles (speed, coordination), and I think they will be convinced they can develop the rest of his skillset on an NBA bench or by bouncing him back and forth to the G league.

I also think outside of the top 15 or so HS players they (scouts) aren't spending much time pre college worried about guys ranked worse than that...

There are so many foreign guys drafted every year. I can't imagine they see those guys more than a handful of times in a lot of cases (obvious exceptions would be guys like Doncic who are on the radar for a long time)....bust potential is so high with players drafted anywhere, that it makes me think NBA teams would gladly take the added risk to get a guy a year early because he could bust either way.

We've got scouts at nearly every practice. They're seeing him more than just in games.

I think he'll get good feedback and make the decision that he thinks is best for him. That's all we can hope for.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lots of fun stuff in here, I'll pick out just one thought.

How and why Kansas freshman Ochai Agbaji went from overlooked recruit to NBA prospect

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... tage_card6
Agbaji today is essentially the same talent colleges overlooked until the last moment. Long, bouncy and inexperienced even by the standards of incoming freshmen. His improvement came quick, and relatively late, bypassing the normal pace and path of college stars who are now his peers.

The guy who did not start for his local AAU team and who was fully on board with redshirting — his dad thought maybe by his fifth year in college scouts might notice him — is now a central figure for a blueblood program.

[...]

A desperate move for a desperate time.

“Anything,” Self said when asked what he hoped for from Agbaji. “Our energy wasn’t as good, our chemistry wasn’t as good. We needed an influx of juice to help us. He was all that and more.”

Agbaji’s role has only grown. Garrett hasn’t played since Jan. 29 with an injury, and Vick left the team to focus on some personal issues. Grimes has been inconsistent. In that vacuum, there have been moments and halves and even games when Agbaji is KU’s best player.

On the whole, since his debut against TCU on Jan. 9 — KU’s 15th game — Agbaji is probably the Jayhawks third-best player, behind Dedric Lawson and Dotson. He scored 24 at Texas (where his sister plays volleyball), went for 10 points and 10 rebounds in a win over Texas Tech, and scored 20 points with 11 rebounds in 41 minutes during an overtime win over TCU.

Since becoming a starter, Agbaji is averaging 15.5 points and 6.8 rebounds while shooting 55 percent (41 on three-pointers)and playing good defense. Only Lawson and Dotson have scored more over that stretch, and only Lawson has rebounded more.
Just on numbers alone, Och's performance this year is staggering in the context of (a) how other guys at his spot (from Rush through Jackson) did, and (b) them coming entirely within league play. No directional Dakotas to fatten up on.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Wonder why they are cherry picking stats though.
Points per game, field goal percentage and three point percentage?
Psssh.

;)
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

cuz they're lazy?

lol
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(And, of course, they didn't.)
kcmokufan

Post by kcmokufan »

As much as I would love for a second year of Ochai I don't see how he doesn't leave for the NBA.

If he was a 5 star recruit their would be discussion on how high in the lottery he would go.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think he comes back.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:35 pm I think he comes back.
Read the article, folks.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He talked about wanting another year to improve but quickly walked that back, not wanting it to sound like he was planning on leaving next year.
He could use some polish on the answer. It hasn’t caught up with his game quite yet.
“Whenever it comes,” he said. “The future.”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

He is also quoted, in the article, as saying “Yeah, yeah, yeah [...] I’ll definitely come back. I’m just not ... It’s not that I’m not ready, but I just don’t think this is the time. I don’t think me or my family, that we’re ready to take that step.”
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Reading comprehension...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Sophomore Och would be badass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:49 pm Sophomore Och will be badass.
Fyp
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK.
So we can pump the breaks on him averaging 20 PPG from here on out and getting drafted.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:15 am OK.
So we can pump the breaks on him averaging 20 PPG from here on out and getting drafted.
I’m going to crack up if the weird stand you’re taking for Vick means you miss out on enjoying Och, for however long he’s here.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

kcmokufan wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:32 pm As much as I would love for a second year of Ochai I don't see how he doesn't leave for the NBA.

If he was a 5 star recruit their would be discussion on how high in the lottery he would go.
If Och played every game like he did against Texas, OSU, and TCU I would think he just might leave for the NBA but after last night and the Tech game perhaps we see why he won't and shouldn't leave for the NBA.
I'm going to ask you (and/or anyone else who cares to answer) five questions.
Why do you believe Och will be a better NBA player than Dotson or Grimes?
Where do you think Ja Morant have been drafted if he left after his Freshman year?
Is Och a better player than Morant was as a Freshman?
Will Och be as good of a player his sophomore year as Morant has been his sophomore year?
If Och did declare and you were an NBA scout/GM and you could select any available player/s at any spot where would you select Och in the 2019 draft?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I fully expect to see him back next year. He is very raw and doesnt seem to project to the lottery this year. If he has the type of season I suspect he will next year then I think he can move up into the 2020 lottery. He needs to spend an offseasin prepping to be the man and he'll be ready.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 am
I’m going to crack up if the weird stand you’re taking for Vick means you miss out on enjoying Och, for however long he’s here.
That's a weird take.
I guess you've missed where I've called Och my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Dok.
viewtopic.php?p=32333#p32333

It was just a response to this very thread:

viewtopic.php?p=34315#p34315
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think there's a good chance all the freshmen return next season and we have two sophomores on 1st team All B12. And maybe one sophomore and one senior on the 2nd team. And maaaaaaaybe another senior on the 1st team as a B12POY candidate to go four in a row.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Man he has hit that wall. He's active, but not doing much out there.

Although, I do think he would have gotten going early in the second half when KU was making run and he got a steal for a breakaway dunk, but they called a reach. He would have brought the house down with a huge dunk and got him going.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG