Deleted User 89

Re: Och

Post by Deleted User 89 »

as Bill uses it, sure

i tend to differentiate b/t mentally and physically "soft"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 am Right now he looks like our best pro prospect....Dotson and Grimes could easily surpass him next year and that could hurt him. But maybe they won't, and he will still be better than them.

I guess part of my thinking is that 5 months ago he wasn't even on the NBA radar....is he just really hot right now, or is he really this good, or does he look really good because those around him are struggling....I'm sure it's a combo.... I think the NBA may love the unknowns with him even right now, and he may be able to capitalize on that.

Let's say he averages close to 20pts the rest of the season and looks like our best player.....how could he possible do much better than that next year?...he does that the remainder of this year and he may already be a guaranteed 1st rounder. I think the newness of the "name" helps in this scenario.

Conversely grimes may never be able to recover from how disappointting he's looked this year. He may never get a good look in the 1st round now....ochai may never get a better look.
Chrisssakes. He has scored more than 8 points in just 4 of his 10 points and you break out the "let's say he averages close to 20pts for the rest of the season".

Come on.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

yeah, mentally soft, not physically.

Although, he looks a little doughy...where's Hudy?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Lost in all of this Och is a lottery pick talk, has it been mentioned that he has yet to drive from the wing to the lane and NOT turn it over? Pretty sure that has to be tightened up before anyone considers him a real lottery pick. He's an athlete, who makes hustle plays and knocks down some open jumpers.

Pulled redshirt to important starter. Yeah, it's a good story, and he's a good player, but let's not make it more than what it is. He ain't going nowhere after this year.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 pm Lost in all of this Och is a lottery pick talk, has it been mentioned that he has yet to drive from the wing to the lane and NOT turn it over? Pretty sure that has to be tightened up before anyone considers him a real lottery pick. He's an athlete, who makes hustle plays and knocks down some open jumpers.

Pulled redshirt to important starter. Yeah, it's a good story, and he's a good player, but let's not make it more than what it is. He ain't going nowhere after this year.
This. Sample size is way to small to start talking about lottery pick status. Upside is definitely there but gotta see more.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I know Bill is not going to change, but I really wish sometimes that he would trust some of his bench more than he does. Obviously, he favors the guys that put in more effort to learn his system, but we know that doesn't always work out the best in the end. If there's one positive about all these problems we've had this year, it's that it has forced Bill to make use of his bench.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

No serious person is suggesting he go after this year.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

So...it was impressive when he went from RS to rotation player. Then went from key reserve to starter after a handful of games, but now after ~10 games, he's a go-to guy and leader on the court. It's nuts. Never seen a trajectory like this.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It’s like when I first started posting on dot com.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:32 am So...it was impressive when he went from RS to rotation player. Then went from key reserve to starter after a handful of games, but now after ~10 games, he's a go-to guy and leader on the court. It's nuts. Never seen a trajectory like this.
Exponential growth. He might be starting for the celtics by march
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

USA Today article. No new info, just some national hype.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/kansas ... ft-lottery
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would prefer if he didn't get any more attention and kept playing at the same level as he is now and better because I very much like him and would enjoy seeing him as a sophomore ( or even a junior and senior! ).

I don't think those both can happen.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

You'd prefer he not get any attention from the NBA? Weird. I want our players to be successful and make themselves a lot of money in the NBA or wherever.

I'm kidding. I'm sure you don't really mean it like that.

But I have been thinking for a week or so that there's a decent chance he's gone after this year (maybe 40%?).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Och gone after this year? Like 7%.

Grimes is 40%.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Grimes definitely needs to go before whatever remaining hype has faded.

I think ochai will be a first rounder this year. That means he's likely gone. He should definitely declare and get some exposure/feedback.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Ochai has the athleticism, size, length, and skill to play at the next level.

But he's not so great at any of those things that the NBA is gonna go crazy about him. I mean, he's not Zhaire Smith or Mo Bamba. He's got to build up his resume some and prove himself more.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 pm Och gone after this year? Like 7%.

Grimes is 40%.
Pretty much what i'd go.
10% and 35%.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:15 pmHe's got to build up his resume some and prove himself more.
Yeah, I agree, and a couple of tangents off of that:

1. I wonder where he'd be if he played all year? Like Zhaire Smith territory (#16) or Brad Beal territory (#3)?

2. I wonder if February 13, 2019 will seem like a lifetime ago in April if he continues to kill it. Where will he be then?

In the end, I'm going to stick with my predicted Jarrett Culver path. Lotto/mid-first in the 2020 draft.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I think it would take a miracle (illy miracle standards) for him to be a first round pick in 2019. I doubt NBA scouts knew who he was until 6 weeks ago. Maybe he was on a list of measurements or something, but they weren't spending any time looking at a 3* kid who was redshirting. Teams are going to need more than a half season of a guy they've never heard of to even consider picking him. Even if "potential" is the NBA's favorite word related to the draft. Put me on the side that says he's this year's Jarrett Culver.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Im fairly confident none of our freshman leave for the draft this year