Self Made

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: Self Made

Post by MICHHAWK »

SC is an all time great JAYHAWK. Either the greatest or second greatest JAYHAWK since DMan.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So, anyone excited to see Travis Releford and Kevin Young join the team? This is a thread about the players that will be playing for the Self Made team that is entered in The Tournament, right?

My oldest is a huge Kevin Young fan. The fro and the energy were fantastic. And Releford's Jack of all trades will be a great addition to the team. It will be fun to watch this team progress through the qualifiers. I hope they put a shooter or two on it.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

Releford - one of my underrated favorite Jayhawks of the last couple decades. I'm excited to see him on that team bringing some defense, intensity and shooting!
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:05 am So, anyone excited to see Travis Releford and Kevin Young join the team? This is a thread about the players that will be playing for the Self Made team that is entered in The Tournament, right?

My oldest is a huge Kevin Young fan. The fro and the energy were fantastic. And Releford's Jack of all trades will be a great addition to the team. It will be fun to watch this team progress through the qualifiers. I hope they put a shooter or two on it.
For sure.

Some of the teams that usually do well in this thing are filled with former pros and/or college standouts. The Kansas team better have some good talent or they won't be serious contenders. Tyshawn and TRob would be a good start.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Does Chris Beard's new contract go here?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Great job UT. You lost him forever.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

just north of $5.5mil annually

and a $6mil buyout if he is lured to another Big12 school
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Good for him for getting paid.

It'll be interesting to see if his success continues. Can he parlay the National Title game appearance into recruiting success? He's been really lucky to identify guys like Culver and Zhaire Smith who weren't ranked very high and get them to go to Lubbock. It'll be interested to see if he can get more highly regarded recruits or continue to find diamonds in the rough.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Jarrett is actually from Lubbock--a real diamond in the rough.

He had pulled in Khavon Moore, who at that time was the highest ranked recruit in TT history, something around Top 50. Interestingly, Moore got hurt and will now transfer from Tech.

Coming in next year, he has Jahmius Ramsey, who is now the highest ranked recruit in TT history. Top 30ish.

It's always going to be tough getting guys to go there, but winning sure helps.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 pm Jarrett is actually from Lubbock--a real diamond in the rough.

He had pulled in Khavon Moore, who at that time was the highest ranked recruit in TT history, something around Top 50. Interestingly, Moore got hurt and will now transfer from Tech.

Coming in next year, he has Jahmius Ramsey, who is now the highest ranked recruit in TT history. Top 30ish.

One of the cool things about college basketball is that there are a number of successful programs in places that you'd think it'd be hard to get guys to go. Lubbock really isn't much worse than East Lansing, or Spokane, or Tucson.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If he gets guys who buy in, they'll continue to overachieve. But I don't think you can sustain an elite level of success relying on getting NBA players ranked outside the top 100. And I don't think you can get a lot of top 50 guys to go to Lubbock.

Either way I think he makes TTU relevant, but they better enjoy their Final 4 run, because I don't think they'll be THAT good again any time soon.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I actually thought they were better in 2018.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Good for him and good for TT.

Sometimes I wonder what would have become of A&M and Billy Clyde, if he had stayed in College Station. Personal issues woulda caught up there as well, but maybe they could have been worked through. Who knows.

In any case, good for the Big XII as well.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:31 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 pm Jarrett is actually from Lubbock--a real diamond in the rough.

One of the cool things about college basketball is that there are a number of successful programs in places that you'd think it'd be hard to get guys to go. Lubbock really isn't much worse than East Lansing, or Spokane, or Tucson.
Also, except for maybe East Lansing, I would think West Texas's talent pool is as good as or better than all of those. They sure produce a lot of football players, so there are athletes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Oh for sure. Although I suspect the problem is that (not unlike Tucson) the geography means there’s a dearth of competition as compared with denser areas.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, PhD is right that he's not going to find Smith's and Culver's year in and year out in Texas.

He's not going to turn Tech into Kansas, but I think he gets enough talent in Texas and out of Texas to become the 2nd best program in the conference. Every 3-4 years, have a shot at the F4.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

much like ut used to be, maybe better
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I doubt people are looking at Lawrence as a favorite place to live/visit.

To piggy back on your cool things about college basketball is looking at rosters and seeing all the different places people come from. You have to mold all these different backgrounds and personalities together to get the best team. Sherron probably never thought his best friend would be some rich, prep school kid. And not an Oak Hill type "prep" school.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:38 pm

I doubt people are looking at Lawrence as a favorite place to live/visit.

To piggy back on your cool things about college basketball is looking at rosters and seeing all the different places people come from. You have to mold all these different backgrounds and personalities together to get the best team. Sherron probably never thought his best friend would be some rich, prep school kid. And not an Oak Hill type "prep" school.
Lubbock might be in its own category. Even other people from West/Central Texas talk badly of Lubbock.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Darn, when I saw this thread bumped up, I thought that the Self Made TBT team had announced another member. Are they going to have enough players and get enough support to even field a team?