Welcome Tristan Enaruna

Kansas Basketball.
Lonestarjayhawk

Re: Welcome Tristan Enaruna

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

We still haven't discussed hip height...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

It seems this guy has been lost in the last week of the excitement of others returning. Is this guy definitely a 4, or could he be a shooter at the 3? It seems no one things he will be a significant factor this year.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:22 pm We still haven't discussed hip height...
People have discussed it.

https://twitter.com/prisonmitch/status/ ... 63777?s=21
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Go go gadget arms!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa, Prison Mitch?

Ok maybe Lightfoot deserves to be a Bill Self big after all.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Looks really long. Raw. Release is a little slow, but shouldn't matter with his length.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And just read Givony's write-up. Sounds like a stretch four. A Julian Wright/Josh Jackson type that is not near as polished at the same age.

Enaruna's team was relegated to the B Division, but the Kansas-bound combo forward did demonstrate quite a bit of potential with his combination of physical tools and versatility. Enaruna was one of the most physically gifted players at the event, standing over 6-foot-8 in shoes with a proportioned frame and a wingspan exceeding 7 feet. He made a number of highlight plays over the course of the week showing elite body control and explosiveness creating his own shot, operating above the rim and being a difference-maker defensively when locked in.

But he went through long stretches when he looked disengaged, couldn't buy a basket from the perimeter (5-of-36 from 3) and demonstrated poor shot selection and decision-making. His jumper looks smooth at times but stiff and unnatural in other moments. He seemed to have some kind of mental block at the free throw line, hitting just 21 of 42 attempts. Enaruna's ability to generate offense with a powerful first step, long strides and polished footwork is intriguing at his size, but he'll need to continue to improve his playmaking ability on the move and finish through contact.

Despite the criticism, Enaruna is a tantalizing talent with a skill set not all that dissimilar to Kevin Knox. It will be interesting to see how quickly he can contribute for Bill Self at Kansas.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The level of competition there is so low. It's certainly true that it matters a LOT whether Enaruna is a C+ athlete, or a B+ one.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:33 am And just read Givony's write-up. Sounds like a stretch four. A Julian Wright/Josh Jackson type that is not near as polished at the same age.

Enaruna's team was relegated to the B Division, but the Kansas-bound combo forward did demonstrate quite a bit of potential with his combination of physical tools and versatility. Enaruna was one of the most physically gifted players at the event, standing over 6-foot-8 in shoes with a proportioned frame and a wingspan exceeding 7 feet. He made a number of highlight plays over the course of the week showing elite body control and explosiveness creating his own shot, operating above the rim and being a difference-maker defensively when locked in.

But he went through long stretches when he looked disengaged, couldn't buy a basket from the perimeter (5-of-36 from 3) and demonstrated poor shot selection and decision-making. His jumper looks smooth at times but stiff and unnatural in other moments. He seemed to have some kind of mental block at the free throw line, hitting just 21 of 42 attempts. Enaruna's ability to generate offense with a powerful first step, long strides and polished footwork is intriguing at his size, but he'll need to continue to improve his playmaking ability on the move and finish through contact.

Despite the criticism, Enaruna is a tantalizing talent with a skill set not all that dissimilar to Kevin Knox. It will be interesting to see how quickly he can contribute for Bill Self at Kansas.
What could go wrong???
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

He’ll fit right in!

(Whoa wait, this year we have the depth to make up for someone playing disengaged, right? Right?)
Deleted User 276

Post by Deleted User 276 »

Ahh depth. The most overrated aspect of each off season. He will be engaged or he will sit on the bench (he will probably sit on the bench either way honestly). He's a year or so away judging from everything I've seen/read. And to an extent 99% of incoming freshman appear disengaged at times. I don't think some of these guys learn what "being engaged" truly is until college competition slaps them in their face.

Either way, Our front court is not accepting applications for rotation players at this moment. Sds, dok, dmac, and mitch have 100% of those minutes covered.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm Ahh depth. The most overrated aspect of each off season. He will be engaged or he will sit on the bench (he will probably sit on the bench either way honestly). He's a year or so away judging from everything I've seen/read. And to an extent 99% of incoming freshman appear disengaged at times. I don't think some of these guys learn what "being engaged" truly is until college competition slaps them in their face.

Either way, Our front court is not accepting applications for rotation players at this moment. Sds, dok, dmac, and mitch have 100% of those minutes covered.
Not sure how you can watch KU basketball and come to this conclusion.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Depth is a huge reason we won 14 straight conference titles.

A lack of quality depth last season hurt us.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self tries to play 8 to 9 deep, which is great.
If everything goes perfectly and no one gets hurt then maybe depth after the first 8 won't matter for this particular season.
That IF isn't something you want to fall back on - depth solves for that.
Deleted User 276

Being by far the best program, with the best coach, and best players is also a huge reason we won 14 straight.

We were supposed to have quality depth last season, but KJ and Moore weren't very good.

Don't get me wrong depth is usually a good problem to have if everyone is happy and keeps chemistry strong...but Quality depth is rare. We had it in 08. We had it in a few other years where EJ was on the bench or Trob....but winning national championships doesn't always require depth. Always going to need your masons and graham's (Dotson this year) to stay healthy because they can't be replaced. Always going to need some luck.
Last edited by Deleted User 276 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm Being by far the best program, with the best coach, and best players is also a huge reason we won 14 straight.

We were supposed to have quality depth last season, but KJ and Moore weren't very good.
Both of those sentences prove my point. So, thanks.
Deleted User 276

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:30 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm Being by far the best program, with the best coach, and best players is also a huge reason we won 14 straight.

Both of those sentences prove my point. So, thanks.
Didn't know I disagreed with you anywhere...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You replied directly to my post with a "yeah, but." That usually indicates at least a portion of disagreement.

If you aren't here to disagree, what is with snarkily replying about "depth" to an innocuous and throwaway post by ousdahl that tangentially relates to "depth?"
Deleted User 276

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:38 pm You replied directly to my post with a "yeah, but." That usually indicates at least a portion of disagreement.

If you aren't here to disagree, what is with snarkily replying about "depth" to an innocuous and throwaway post by ousdahl that tangentially relates to "depth?"
Now I'm here to disagree.

Didn't reply directly to you. There's a post between ours. Didn't say "yeah, but" in my post either.

Since I'm going fully illy today...let me clarify my comment "depth is the most overrated aspect of the OFF SEASON".
.. my intent was that we don't really know what kind of depth we have during the off season if the majority of that depth is incoming freshman or transfers.

Not that depth isn't important during the season. Not that depth hasn't helped us. Just that we don't really know good our depth is yet. And history says the odds are that some of these freshman and/or transfers won't end up being very good or playing meaningful minutes at Kansas.