Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Offseason NCAA 2019

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 am

Would be set at 4 or 5. Double bonus.
Then just move the double bonus to 8 or 10 and eliminate the single bonus.
Not against that, I'm just having trouble understanding what is so sacred about playing 2 halves? Every other league in the world has evaluated it and sees that it provides no advantage for gameplay or entertainment value.

Going to quarters helps alleviate 2 of the most frustrating things about CBB.
There is no advantage to going to quarters. It's change for the sake of change.

If period breaks improve things, why not go from quarters to dimes.

We can play 10 4:30 dimes.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Advantage is forced change of bad rules.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's the current rule.

You're the one who wants to force change.

And it's a good rule.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

??? Yes, I'm arguing change which will force bad rules to be changed.

We just agreed that the current bonus rule is bad.

Unless you think 8 TV timeouts is good.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

change could make it worse.

They could have two tv timeouts every quarter...then you just went from 8 to 10.

They could make a single bonus at 3 fouls and double at 5 in each quarter.

If the problem is too many clock stoppages, I don't see how adding a clock stoppage helps, just decrease the number of stoppages.

Just fix the problems directly. Adding quarters doesn't directly improve anything.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 amJust fix the problems directly. Adding quarters doesn't directly improve anything.
Logically, yes. I just don't see that you're going to get the advertisers on board unless you make an objective change.

I suppose they could change and make the rules even worse, but that would not make a lot of sense. By your same logic, they could just make the rules worse now without going to quarters.

The evidence is just staring us in the face that the better product is being played with quarters--timeouts and fouls being a humongous part of the equation.

So far, I've only heard that halves eliminate 2 extra 2-for-1's or last possessions. I suppose that's true, but imo, a weak argument when it could help fix much higher impact problems like the entire game flow.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 amJust fix the problems directly. Adding quarters doesn't directly improve anything.
Logically, yes. I just don't see that you're going to get the advertisers on board unless you make an objective change.

I suppose they could change and make the rules even worse, but that would not make a lot of sense. By your same logic, they could just make the rules worse now without going to quarters.

The evidence is just staring us in the face that the better product is being played with quarters--timeouts and fouls being a humongous part of the equation.

So far, I've only heard that halves eliminate 2 extra 2-for-1's or last possessions. I suppose that's true, but imo, a weak argument when it could help fix much higher impact problems like the entire game flow.
The evidence is just staring us in the face that the worse product, HS basketball, is being played with quarters.

I don't want to turn CBB into NBA. I LIKE the college game, in fact I prefer it rules-wise.

The ONLY argument I've heard about quarters is, "that's what they do in the nba". That's a terrible argument.

If the number of commercial breaks is going to stay the same, I'd rather have the more natural way they happen now, than because of a hard clock stoppage.

Free flow gets eliminated by hard stoppages (clock hits zero) more than by soft ones (first dead ball after the 4:00 mark).

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There would be less commercial breaks with quarters. 6, as compared to the 8 now.

I've argued beyond the mere fact that the NBA uses it. And, the NCAA has precedent for being concerned with game flow as it relates to clock stoppages and fouls as it is the reason they changed the women's game from halves to quarters. Flow is also why they changed the men's shot clock to :30.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

That's an assumption.

And it's coming on the heels of you saying you can't reduce TOs because of advertisors.

If there is a resistance to reducing the number of commercial breaks, I'm not sure why switching to quarters remedies that. If anything, it will be viewed as a chance at more commercial breaks not fewer. Just have two tv timeouts every quarter and now you have 10 commercial breaks instead of 8.

If you want 6 commercial breaks, you just take them after than 5:00 mark, 10:00 mark and the 15:00 mark. It's simple, and probably makes more sense.

There will either be pushback for reducing tv breaks or not. Quarters won't change that. This is simply an excuse to add quarters and make the game more similar to the nba. nothing else.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What's an assumption? 1 TV timeout per quarter? I suppose, but it's what they use in the women's game and follows the FIBA model.

Less TV timeouts can be accomplished without going to quarters, but there is no reason at all to think that will happen. Change will be mandated, though, by going to quarters.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

"more similar tot he nba" = better flow, better product

This is a bad thing?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Dress it up however you want, it doesn't improve anything, at least not directly.

Moving tv timeouts from 4:00 increments to 5:00 increments makes more sense and doesn't require a fundamental change to the game. And has a much greater increase to the flow of the game than what you're proposing.

The improvements you're arguing for aren't directly tied to quarters at all, they're just things that might happen concurrently with that rule change. I mean, a lot of people want to get rid of alternating possessions...why not say switching to quarters makes that happen too?

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

https://indyweek.com/culture/archives/n ... a-tourney/
Basketball is designed to be a sport of two halves, not 12 three-to-four minute increments. And it's supposed to be a sport of stamina, flow and momentum.

Frequent TV timeouts take a dent out of all that. ESPN has understandably been pushing Jimmy V/early 1980s college basketball nostalgia with its documentary on the 1983 N.C. State Wolfpack. Back then, the golden age of college basketball, here were the rules for TV timeouts in tournament games: one timeout at the under 15 minute mark, one at the under 10, and one at the under 5. If a coach called a timeout, that automatically became the media timeout, so if a coach called a timeout at 17:30 to go, the next timeout wouldn't be until under 10:00. That allowed games to flow longer.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Agree. I like halves. Perhaps I've been brainwashed to like it over time. But everytime I watch hs or NBA I get annoyed with the quarter's set up.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

lets Make changes to make thing more the same! Sigh.

I’d be more interested in eliminating the ability to foul a guy at end of games to prevent the 3 point shot to tie. It’s intentionally done to prevent the shot, which in context should award the shot.