combine measurements

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: combine measurements

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am I am rooting for this guy, well sort of rooting for this guy but he has some where in not America for the rest of his life written all over him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... ost#slide8

NBA Draft Projection: Nos. 45-60/undrafted

A bottom-tier athlete turning 22 in October, Dedric Lawson did little to improve his draft case in Chicago.

He combined to shoot 2-of-8 inside the arc during both scrimmages, unable to diminish concern regarding his ability to create separation.

Lawson, whose 8.9 percent body fat was the third-highest, finished bottom three in the sprint, standing and max verticals and shuttle run.

He did make four threes, and his improved shooting gives him a better chance to carve out a role at the next level. But the athletic limitations won't allow for much error.
I mean - we were never promised anything different, but...would it be so bad for him to come back, be a lock first-team AA, and have exactly the same professional prospects this time next year?

This is a terrific example of how The Rules fail kids - if Dedric could get something approaching his value (call it $125k - better than G League, worse than Europe), maybe he plays college basketball next year.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I could see that scenario both ways. I'm sure the family would say the injury factor, which could be mitigated with an insurance policy but probably more importantly with him being 22 another year of wear and tear on his body. At this point he has reached his ceiling what good does another year of college ball do but get him individual honors or team success. His dream school was never KU and his family has zero ties. Whatever the route he goes he might as well start the next chapter of his hopefully professional career.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:24 am We got fleeced on the illy for michhawk trade.
And gutter is back....
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:24 am We got fleeced on the illy for michhawk trade.
truth
I think illy is still here under a new name...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:13 am
twocoach wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:05 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm FWIW, Grimes has played way better at the combine than he ever did at KU.

Which is probably the least surprising thing.
He played 32 minutes on Friday and went 1-9 from the floor, including 1-6 from three. He seems like a guy that looks great in workouts and practices but shrinks when the game clock starts.
Was pretty darn big in HS and HS All-American games as well as international competition.
Clearly something happened to him between his senior year of HS and today. Something not good.
Yes, something did happen. The competition got better.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 am No doubt D1 college competition is better than HS competition but I wouldn't say it's better than what he faced in the All-American games.

I found this somewhat interesting....

"I think it was an adjustment period for him," McNeely said of Grimes' freshman year at Kansas. "I think four years playing for us and AAU basketball, he was always utilized as a point guard. Making the transition and just playing solely as an off-guard where he wasn't making the decisions —that was a transition process."
"He continued to get better each and every game defensively," McNeely added. "I was really amazed at his improvement from the first game against Michigan State to the last game I saw him in person up at Phog Allen (Fieldhouse) against Baylor."
This is word play by folks trying to talk him up so he can make the jump to the NBA. It's the only play they have to explain why he looked like a below average college player.

Grimes did improve over the course of the year. He had moments where he was really dialed in defensively and he had a nice little hot stretch from 3. I hope he is able to achieve his goals and enjoys a long career in the NBA but today it looks like an uphill climb.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:25 pm I could see that scenario both ways. I'm sure the family would say the injury factor, which could be mitigated with an insurance policy but probably more importantly with him being 22 another year of wear and tear on his body. At this point he has reached his ceiling what good does another year of college ball do but get him individual honors or team success. His dream school was never KU and his family has zero ties. Whatever the route he goes he might as well start the next chapter of his hopefully professional career.
But that’s my point - if he was allowed to make something closer to what he was worth, he wouldn’t have to give up these things. Maybe he likes these things, but just not enough to make $0 to pursue them.