combine measurements

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

combine measurements

Post by PhDhawk »

Dotson measured out better than I expected.

Grimes is fat.

Lawson is fat, but less so than two years ago.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-ant ... _PCT&dir=1
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: combine measurements

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Thanks. Been waiting for this to come out.

I don't think 6'2" is surprising, but it's . . . comforting?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dedric has huge hands. Better measurements all across the board than Niang, including a lot less fat.
noosh

Post by noosh »

I just measured out at 10.75''

Seems like Hudy is losing it. Sort by body fat and you quickly see a few jayhawks up top that list. Time to get some new blood in here.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dotson an inch taller than Frank Mason.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I was hoping, for our sake, he'd be <6'

Then hoping, for his sake, he'd have a final growth spurt and measure >6' next year.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Devon playing well in the scrimmage. He's going to get drafted.

Please hold out for the 1st round guarantee, Devon.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think Dotson's measurements mean he's coming back. They make him a 1 who can really only guard 1s. His passing and shooting skills (as demonstrated so far) don't support someone buying into him as even a long-term backup at that position.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 pm I think Dotson's measurements mean he's coming back. They make him a 1 who can really only guard 1s. His passing and shooting skills (as demonstrated so far) don't support someone buying into him as even a long-term backup at that position.
This is an accurate take. While he's great at finishing at the rim, his passing and outside shooting is still subpar. I didn't realize it until the Baylor game, but during that game, he missed at least 2 fairly easy lob passes. Self eventually went to Grimes to delivering those passes on the lob plays.

Dotson is a great scorer, but as an overall player (Outside shooting, passing and defense) he's a player that still needs a lot of work.

But I am worried that he might give it a shot. I mean he saw Graham go as a second rounder and play in the league this year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-strength-agility/

No surprises. Grimes tested poorly, only 27.5" vertical and 36" max vert. Very average to below average speed times.

Dotson, second fastest shuttle run behind Jordan Bone, but fairly average lane agility and 3/4 sprint times, pretty good vertical numbers, 30" and 38.5"

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 pm I think Dotson's measurements mean he's coming back. They make him a 1 who can really only guard 1s. His passing and shooting skills (as demonstrated so far) don't support someone buying into him as even a long-term backup at that position.
This is an accurate take. While he's great at finishing at the rim, his passing and outside shooting is still subpar. I didn't realize it until the Baylor game, but during that game, he missed at least 2 fairly easy lob passes. Self eventually went to Grimes to delivering those passes on the lob plays.

Dotson is a great scorer, but as an overall player (Outside shooting, passing and defense) he's a player that still needs a lot of work.

But I am worried that he might give it a shot. I mean he saw Graham go as a second rounder and play in the league this year.
To me, Graham would be motivation to stay another year.

It's the feedback he gets that I think might make him want to leave.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There's just no rush with Dotson. He's going to get drafted and play in the league. Maximize it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Graham became an All American, borderline-POY-type in college. Dotson could be that next year - his toolkit is just different from Graham's (and almost anyone else's).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Has there ever been a more inaccurate scouting report than there was for Grimes coming into college?

I mean, lots of guys have not been as good as advertised, and some have been much much better than their rankings.

But Grimes wasn't even the same GUY as what he was described as. He was supposed to be athletic, and a playmaking combo guard. I mean, I'd get it if his game just didn't translate to college, but how do you mis-diagnose athleticism?

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:13 pm Has there ever been a more inaccurate scouting report than there was for Grimes coming into college?

I mean, lots of guys have not been as good as advertised, and some have been much much better than their rankings.

But Grimes wasn't even the same GUY as what he was described as. He was supposed to be athletic, and a playmaking combo guard. I mean, I'd get it if his game just didn't translate to college, but how do you mis-diagnose athleticism?
It's bizarre. And the tape matches the testing results - he did absolutely nothing impressive, physically. Combine that with a well-below-average feel for the game, and...yikes.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Kinda makes you hope...."go live your dream young fella"
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I thought maybe between the time the the season ended and the combine he would have approved something. Anything. I guess not. If RJ commits he is about to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Lawson didn't really improve at all athletically compared to two years ago.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 pm I thought maybe between the time the the season ended and the combine he would have approved something. Anything. I guess not. If RJ commits he is about to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
It RJ commits and Grimes comes back QG goes from projected 1 and done to a probable 3 year player.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Worked out alright for WS.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"