combine measurements

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: combine measurements

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 pm Worked out alright for WS.
I agree, but I don't think Grimes, right now, sees "NBA journeyman" as a successful outcome.

Of course it is an exceptionally successful outcome (Selby, Henry, Wright, Rush, Downs and others wave from the wings). But it takes a lot to accept that.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

These young guys are focused on the wrong things. Your second contract is more important than your first.
I feel bad for Q but he may be on the outside looking in.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

FWIW, Grimes has played way better at the combine than he ever did at KU.

Which is probably the least surprising thing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"It was a different kind of experience jumping into that Kansas system,” Grimes said on Thursday at the NBA Draft Combine. “I think I only showed 50 percent of what I was capable. I feel like I’m showing a lot more here.”

Whatever.
You were given plenty of opportunity to shine.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Decent chance he could have and would have shined more elsewhere.
Grimes is one of those few kids who may have actually made mistake by coming to KU.
Sounds like he's done at KU. If so, see ya and your 50% kid.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Is he insinuating that Self was restraining him?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Maybe he was unable or unwilling to grasp self's system in order to succeed.
Opportunity was there . More so for him than nearly any other Kansas freshman in memory.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 62

Yeah, Bill.gave him a longer leash than most.

Frustrating if Grimes was giving 50%
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

That sounds like his handler or dad speaking for him. At this rate this feels like the Vick situation. Moving forward it would be best for both parties if they separate.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 62

Remember when we all thought that Wiggins only showed about 50% of his best at KU?

Turns out, he is a 50% guy.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Not a bad comparison but the difference is we saw Wiggins put up 20 or more 11 times.
Grimes did it once. 23 games of single digit scoring.
I'd say Wiggins showed more like 75% and Grimes - I hope for his sake showed 25%.
I would be interested to hear Self's honest take on Grimes and not just public coach speak.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But Wiggins’s issue always seemed more than anything to be some sort of apathy.

Grimes’s’s issue seemed to be more so he didn’t have things figured out. Or somethin.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm FWIW, Grimes has played way better at the combine than he ever did at KU.

How so?

Was he shooting better? Handling and creating better? Not looking like he was caught up in his own head better?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(Cuz if he somehow waited til the combine to be not bricking his open jumpers, then, sigh.)

But for real, his 50 percent quote seems like such a red flag, don’t it? Who says that about their college experience?
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The quote makes sense. If he showed a 100% of his capabilities at KU then there is no way he is ever going pro. Not saying he didn't get a chance to show but for what ever reason it didn't happen. It's a huge red flag. But the only chance he has is someone to believe there is more in Grimes than we ever saw.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:39 am (Cuz if he somehow waited til the combine to be not bricking his open jumpers, then, sigh.)

But for real, his 50 percent quote seems like such a red flag, don’t it? Who says that about their college experience?
I think it's pretty clear that he's believing what his camp has said all along: he should have played more point guard at KU and they are done with Self and KU because of it.

I have conflicting thoughts on that: on one hand, Dotson was clearly great there and had to play a ton of minutes. Grimes had more instruction from Bill Self than any OAD that Self has ever had. Even after all that, Bill still didn't see that he'd be good there.

On the other hand, maybe Bill should have played him more there? For pretty much the entire season we weren't getting anything out of Grimes. And we needed something from him. Why not try him out at PG for a few minutes/game? Can't be worse than Charlie, and we didn't excel at all with the way we ran things. You either see what you have from Grimes at point or you keep banging your head against the wall w/ him. Self chose the latter.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm FWIW, Grimes has played way better at the combine than he ever did at KU.

He played 32 minutes on Friday and went 1-9 from the floor, including 1-6 from three. He seems like a guy that looks great in workouts and practices but shrinks when the game clock starts.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:30 am But Wiggins’s issue always seemed more than anything to be some sort of apathy.

Grimes’s’s issue seemed to be more so he didn’t have things figured out. Or somethin.
Grimes' issue for me is that he isn't very consistently good at anything during games.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

I struggle to understand why not playing point guard had any effect on bricking open jumpers.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm Yeah.

I struggle to understand why not playing point guard had any effect on bricking open jumpers.
So at best he is a PG who can't shoot, drive or make good decisions with the basketball.