Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Just browsing the 2019 rankings on 247....

I can't remember which schools are Adidas....but is there a single top 30 player committed to an Adidas school yet?

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... HighSchool

Is Tennessee Adidas?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

doesn't look like it
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 am Just browsing the 2019 rankings on 247....

I can't remember which schools are Adidas....but is there a single top 30 player committed to an Adidas school yet?

Is Tennessee Adidas?

Good find and not real great for KU. Kid who is ranked 37 is signed to Auburn, who is UA.

Tennessee is Nike. They signed a huge deal three or four years ago.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 75

Coincidence?
Deleted User 75

This makes me even more sick for SDS....this is all the evidence I need to KNOW the exact thing that's ruining his chances to play in college is still happening on a widespread level. And my guess is that nearly all of these kids are cleared within a week or 2 of submitting their stuff because the NCAA isn't capable of catching or enforcing these rules.

Let the kids profit from their name/image/likeness. They already are. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why players post social media videos rocking jewelry and tagging jewelers, or rocking clothes and tagging clothing lines, or rocking a fresh haircut and tagging the barber shop....they can't enforce it. Or catch it. Even when it's that simple.

So without the FBI becoming permanent NCAA enforcement how on earth are they going to catch Nike? They're not. They don't want to....they just don't want it out in the open. Which is why SDS sits and nobody else does.

It's bullshit.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 am Just browsing the 2019 rankings on 247....

Is Tennessee Adidas?
Indiana has a commit from #18 and us in it for some others.
Louisville has 5 4 stars committed.
NC State has #33 and is in on sime others.

It seems like a problem until you realize that the only P5 Adidas schools are Kansas, Louisville, Indiana, NC State, Miami, Nebraska, Rutgers and Arizona State. Most of those schools aren't getting top 30 recruits because they arent good and rarely get elite recruits, not because they are Adidas.
Deleted User 75

So do you think Adidas paying or not paying players to go to certain schools has no impact/little impact/lots of impact?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Still makes you wonder when the elite level kids are going to Duke, Unc, and Kentucky. Memphis, with Penny got Wiseman. Georgia, got arguably the #1 kid as well. They are all Nike schools. Of course Zona got put to the fire but we have heard zero mentions other then that of Nike schools.
Some of it is sloppy management by our coaching staff but IMO adidas has always come off as desperate to compete with Nike and thus be willing to take more chances and risks.

It should be also noted that I am a Nike guy and would love nothing more if we dumped adidas but I do believe that there is something to be said about how Nike runs its grass roots basketball programs compared to all the other brands.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I could be in minority on this. But I don't mind getting the recruits who are not in the top 20 or whatever. I think Bill's coaching abilities can more than make up for the potential headaches with those top kids.

Would it be nice to get, say, 3 of the top 10 recruits?? Yes.
Does Kansas get any worse by getting lower ranked guys who are here for multiple years? Hell no.

Some of Self's most successful teams (Final 4 and Elite 8 teams) were with guys who were not top 10 recruits in their classes. Closest was Mario who was like 11 or 12 in his class. Other than that it's guys with lower rankings.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I may be in the minority as well but i'm totally on board.
Deleted User 75

How many McDonalds all Americans did 2008 have on that team?

Plus rush who wasn't eligible.

Sherron, mario, cole, Arthur...that it? So about half the rotation players were very highly ranked.

Self does best when it's a blend. He needs the top guys (because they're the best), but you've got to blend them with guys like RussRob, DJax, Kaun... the best players are usually ranked the highest. We need some of those guys too...but I agree Self doesn't do as well when he's got no veterans to lean on.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I've been saying for a while that the most prized recruits should be ranked 25-50.

I mean, it woulda been tits to get Zion here. But geezus the number of guys ranked 5-25 who are OADs who are very underwhelming freshman is astounding. You get so much more outta the guys who stay 2,3, or 4 years, plus by the time they're Jrs or Srs they're often just as good as the top 5 guys.

Roy added a 3rd title and another NC game appearance basically following that strategy. Jay Wright is killing it by only landing guys ranked 20+
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Agreed. Recruiting classes of guys ranked from 20-75ish every year and I am happy.
Deleted User 75

I like getting the Wiggins, Embiids, and Oubres.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Give me the Franks, the Vontes, the Agbajis.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Schools have different methods. Given our geography, we basically can't say no to any method. It's a mix. Need OAD, need top 20-50 guys, need 51-100 guys to develop, need transfers, need Kansas/KC 4 year guys, need the Teahan family, etc.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm I like getting the Wiggins, Embiids, and Oubres.
I don't think it's an either/or situation.

I like those guys too.

But...I think you get the most out of multi-year players who are talented, but might not be NBA-ready.

I mean, Oubre played what, 35 games, he was great for about 10 of them, pretty good in about a dozen, and pretty quiet to not good in the remaining 10-15. Mason had about 30 bad games, 45 good ones and 65 where he was damn good....those are estimates, but you get my point, you just get so much more overall production out of a 4 year guy, even the one's who don't win NPOY awards.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:41 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm I like getting the Wiggins, Embiids, and Oubres.
I don't think it's an either/or situation.

I like those guys too.

But...I think you get the most out of multi-year players who are talented, but might not be NBA-ready.

I mean, Oubre played what, 35 games, he was great for about 10 of them, pretty good in about a dozen, and pretty quiet to not good in the remaining 10-15. Mason had about 30 bad games, 45 good ones and 65 where he was damn good....those are estimates, but you get my point, you just get so much more overall production out of a 4 year guy, even the one's who don't win NPOY awards.
Agreed. You usually need both to win national titles.

My personal mix would be veteran PGs, and OAD type wings and bigs. I think a veteran PG greatly helps OAD type wings and bigs. I think Wiggins and Embiid would've greatly benefited from a senior frank or devonte.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Two Kansas teams that lost in the Round of 32.
Deleted User 75

That solves it! Don't want guys like Wiggins or Embiid then!