Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by twocoach »

As recent history has proven, it's very hard to always have a veteran PG. What PG recruit was going to come to Kansas 3 years ago to be a starter this year as a junior when his frosh season would be behind NPoY Mason and Graham and his soph season would be behind 1st team AA and Big 12 PoY Graham?

I tip my hat to Self and staff for having to constantly fill gaps in recruiting. It's amazing how well they have adjusted on the fly to always field a competitive roster.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

You'd think Mr Nuance himself would maybe blame oh idk, embiids injury, or the fact Tharpe was the starting PG (he's one of those 40-100+ type guys)....and maybe not use that season as proof we don't need/want Wiggins caliber players.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I will say that I don't think there's any reason to make early offers to guys like Tharpe, Woolridge, Zach Peters, Markese Jacobs, etc.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

In regards to maintaining a veteran PG, Self needs to do a better job of selling the fact that he wants to play 2 PGs at a time, which is true. If you could stagger them a year or two a part, plus a decent guy off the bench. You wouldn't minimize the problem of not wanting to be the veteran guy's backup if you knew you were getting 10 mpg on the ball and another 15-20 off the ball, basically in the So/Jr Vonte role.

I think knowing that there are more like 80 minutes per game for PGs rather than 40 would scare off fewer PG recruits.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 pm I will say that I don't think there's any reason to make early offers to guys like Tharpe, Woolridge, Zach Peters, Markese Jacobs, etc.
Agreed. Have we ever had an early signer actually turn out to be a regular rotation player besides Tharpe?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Wasn't Garrett an early signer?
Deleted User 75

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bty78ihBB5V ... f91j777vbu

Kids always rocking some sweet threads. A little Burberry collared shirt can't be cheap!
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

Stylin'
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 pm I will say that I don't think there's any reason to make early offers to guys like Tharpe, Woolridge, Zach Peters, Markese Jacobs, etc.
Agreed. And I think they learned a bit. There’s a kid in Newton Kansas who is a 4-star guard. Ty Berry 6’3” Junior PG. class of 2020 Lots of schools like Nebraska, Wichita St, Missouri, Iowa, Iowa St and many others have offered. I think he could play at KU, but no offer yet. Dad played football there so there is a connection and he’s attended a TON of KU games behind the bench. But still no Self offer.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:57 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/Bty78ihBB5V ... f91j777vbu

Kids always rocking some sweet threads. A little Burberry collared shirt can't be cheap!
Not to mention a pair of $225 Air Jordan 18s, Gucci belt and what I am just going to assume are fake diamond tennis chains around his neck.

I seriously hope that young men is able to find what he has dropped on the ground.
Holidaysmore - 2005
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Way nicer apartment then what i lived in in college. We had to put all out poys out to catch the roof leaks.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Pots
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:40 pm
Agreed. And I think they learned a bit. There’s a kid in Newton Kansas who is a 4-star guard. Ty Berry 6’3” Junior PG. class of 2020 Lots of schools like Nebraska, Wichita St, Missouri, Iowa, Iowa St and many others have offered. I think he could play at KU, but no offer yet. Dad played football there so there is a connection and he’s attended a TON of KU games behind the bench. But still no Self offer.
Ya, sounds like a senior year offer if we miss out on some bigger guys.

Although, I'd say sign him up b/c right now I'm pretty bold on Christian Braun. I think he's going to be a player. It would be nice to have a 4-year PG right behind him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm
Agreed. Have we ever had an early signer actually turn out to be a regular rotation player besides Tharpe?
Tharpe was actually a late offer after we missed out on Josiah Tuner. I just included him b/c he is that level of a recruit where you should absolutely wait it out first b/c you can see what the risk is with offering those guys.

An early commit that worked out was Travis Releford.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

Although, I'd say sign him up b/c right now I'm pretty bold on Christian Braun. I think he's going to be a player. It would be nice to have a 4-year PG right behind him.
Man, I like Braun too. At first glance when he committed, I thought he was just one of the local kids that Self ALWAYS offers and hopes for a provider by year 3 or 4, but that dude is a damn player. Could be a Releford type of guy. Athletic enough, a good shooter and can play defense. Good height at 6'5" and needs some Hudy weight on him to be a solid player.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

He kinda reminds me of a poor man's Grimes (based on how I thought of Grimes as a HS player)...so I'm not sure how that makes me feel about Berry.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am

Man, I like Braun too. At first glance when he committed, I thought he was just one of the local kids that Self ALWAYS offers and hopes for a provider by year 3 or 4, but that dude is a damn player. Could be a Releford type of guy. Athletic enough, a good shooter and can play defense. Good height at 6'5" and needs some Hudy weight on him to be a solid player.
I've heard that Braun's coaches and family thinks he could end up being 6'7"-6'8". Natural position is PG.
Deleted User 75

Will he be quick enough at that size to guard 1s and 2s? Or would he just be a forward/wing who does a lot of facilitating for others and running offense thru him?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Uh, fire Bill Self?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 42555.html
LaMelo Ball, the brother of Los Angeles Lakers guard Lonzo Ball and son of the outspoken LaVar Ball, said on the latest episode of the reality show, “Ball in the Family,” that he will play college basketball next season instead of heading straight to the NBA D-League.

He is a 6-foot-5 senior guard at SPIRE Institute in Ohio.

“Oh I’m going (to college) for sure now,” LaMelo Ball said (on a show taped in November) as reported by lonzowire.usatoday.com. “I actually talked to USC two days ago. I’m talking to KU.”
Deleted User 75

Honestly, seems right up Self's alley. Lots of red flags. Looming amateurism issues. Crazy parent(s).