Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 266

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Leawood - I am curious, what are you basing your statement on?
Just one small factor that may dispute your claim is that as far as attendance figures go, the Grizz and Tigers are lacking compared to other smaller market NBA and NCAA teams.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Memphis has a long way to go. A nice recruiting class is nice. But they have a long way to go.

They are not in the conversation for good mid majors.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Gene Bartow coached Memphis to a championship game in '72 I believe. All Memphis kids if memory serves me. Penny Hardaway knows what he is doing. If Memphis wasn't such a shithole town, it would be a destination job.

DePaul should be a destination job.

But I digress.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We have no idea if penny hardaway knows what he is doing or not. Don’t know yet. It’s nice they have a nice recruiting class.

In 5 years we will have an idea.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I’ve heard that Penny is the face of recruiting while Mitchell and Miller do the actual coaching.
Makes me wonder how much of a difference a staff with NBA experience either coaching or playing makes.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:04 pmMakes me wonder how much of a difference a staff with NBA experience either coaching or playing makes.
They seem to lose their jobs after a handful of seasons. Chris Mullin the latest casualty.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Penny hardaway needs to do more than bring in a nice class before I slob his knob.

Let’s see in 5 years.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

They play Tennessee and a bunch of AAC no-names...if they are not 30-1 at March, it's a disappointing season
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Penny is just a name. Can’t coach for shit. You’ll see...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Because I'm keenly aware of my own bias, I've tried very hard to keep from thinking that we're getting disproportionately screwed in all the shoe company/FBI stuff. And yet, there's shit like Zion, and shit like this:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 8194469889
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

That's why I don't buy the whole "FBI is effecting recruiting" complaint by KU fans.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:44 pm That's why I don't buy the whole "FBI is effecting recruiting" complaint by KU fans.
so...what is affecting recruiting?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think it's absolutely harming our recruiting, and I think more and more that the reason for that is that, for one or a number of reasons, we are getting far harsher treatment than the myriad other implicated schools/players.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yep. We're the biggest program in this, so far, so in essence, we're the face of this.

Also, because we're the biggest program, we're losing our guys to the Duke, Kentucky and Villanova's of the world. Names that haven't been been drug through this whole mess for fair or unfair reasons.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:51 pm Yep. We're the biggest program in this, so far, so in essence, we're the face of this.

Also, because we're the biggest program, we're losing our guys to the Duke, Kentucky and Villanova's of the world. Names that haven't been been drug through this whole mess for fair or unfair reasons.
It's like we're in this awful reverse Goldilocks zone where we're big enough to be a sexy scandal headliner, but not big enough to be untouchable by the scandal.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

According to Evan Daniels RJ may join Jalen Wilson on his official visit to KU which is May 30-June 1.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Historically with Bill we get our recruits late. Seems a little later this year.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Arthur was May, Svi was May, Rush was August
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:46 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:44 pm That's why I don't buy the whole "FBI is effecting recruiting" complaint by KU fans.
so...what is affecting recruiting?
Call me crazy, but I think it's possible kids just want to go somewhere else.

And jfish, how is KU getting a far harsher treatment than other schools? Other schools had coaches fired and/or going to jail and they still have Top 10 classes. Arizona has the #3 class right now and you can argue no coach is more under fire than theirs.

It could be the way KU's staff has handled the whole investigation. How many other players sat out because they were mentioned in the investigation? I know there were a few, but far more played without fear of punishment than those who sat out. So, I guess you can say the scandal has played a factor in that way?

Also, as crazy as it is to say with the number of players currently guaranteed on the roster next year, maybe they don't want to come in and be bench players. Elite bigs don't want to come sit behind Doke and McCormack. Och is showing up on draft boards, so it's possible elite wings don't want to come in and compete for minutes with him. Even though he's not officially back, the common thought is Dotson will be back and maybe elite PGs don't want to come be his backup. You can point to how Self has used 2 ball handling guards in the past, but what these kids see and know is the last 3 years Self has let his primary ballhandler play 40 minutes. They don't know how he used combos like Robinson/Collins/Chalmers, Collins/Taylor, etc.

I'm not saying the FBI and Adidas scandal had zero impact on recruiting lately, but it's not enough to sit back and cry "the investigation is fucking us!!!"
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

nice take