Kareem Hunt to Browns

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Kareem Hunt to Browns

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:21 pm While I agree that thinking kneeling during the anthem is worse than hitting women is absolute lunacy, Kap is intentionally targeting/using the NFL as a platform and putting his politics/opinion public while Hunt ( and others ) have had their private lives made public.

A common argument, and there are flaws, is that if I were to do something during company hours that would be in opposition of what my employers believed and they thought that could harm the product/brand/company, they have the right to let me go, or not even that, just simply not renew a contract.
You, uh, lost me here.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

WAs Kaepernick a starting QB?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

For most of his last year in 2016, yes. Played in 12 games, started 11 I believe.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Gqcolorado wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am What was Kapernick “charged” of?
Shoving politics down the throats of fans in one of the last places they could go to get away from politics.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Being a marginal NFL quarterback who became too big of a distraction.

Fair or not, that’s the truth
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

kubandalum wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:11 pm
Shoving politics down the throats of fans in one of the last places they could go to get away from politics.
Never saw it that way.

I saw a man who to chose to Express himself for a cause that he felt was just.

Do they still have that in the constitution?
Deleted User 62

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:04 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 am Hunt wasn't charged.
Kap wasn't charged.
Kap wasn't good enough to overcome the PR he would bring to the team that signed him.
Hunt was/is ( if you've forgotten, he led the NFL in rushing his rookie year ).
is it the opinion of a particular subset of American media and politics?
Yes
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Rumors of a $60M settlement. Collin is the winner. No chance for injury, still big payday. He can ride the "social injustice" bandwagon towards more wealth in the future. Many have made a good living doing this.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Collin didn’t get a settlement because he “rode the social injustice bandwagon.” That’s bullshit. He “won” yesterday because he was cheated out of money, sports fame and the prime years of his athleticism.

The NFL caved because they wronged him. We know that organization, and it’s not paying out a dime unless they know they’re fucked. Good for Kaep and good for Reid for being a bunch of damn uppity youths.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 pm
Never saw it that way.

That’s the way the fans saw it, and NFL revenues suffered for it. As for the Constitution, “Congress shall make no law...,” was he arrested?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

kubandalum wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 amand NFL revenues suffered for it.
Hilariously untrue.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

NFL tv ratings suffered for it for over it for over a year.

Anyway, does anyone here work in a place in private enterprise that allows employees to engage in political protest on company time in the company’s place of business?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Pat Mahomes can take a knee before every game and he will still be the highest paid player in NFL history.
Deleted User 62

kubandalum wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 am
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Never saw it that way.

That’s the way the fans saw it, and NFL revenues suffered for it. As for the Constitution, “Congress shall make no law...,” was he arrested?
JFC
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

kubandalum wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 pm NFL tv ratings suffered for it for over it for over a year.

Anyway, does anyone here work in a place in private enterprise that allows employees to engage in political protest on company time in the company’s place of business?
The amount of bad assumptions and misunderstandings of TV ratings and NFL revenue is staggering. That’s why people will blindly gobble up 140 character tweets as fact.

NFL tv ratings did go down in 2017 from 2016. However, there is no indication that it was from anthem protests. In fact, all TV ratings were down in 2017. The NFL ratings actually suffered less of a ratings drop than almost every other program. Experts say that the biggest reason for declining tv ratings is because of cord cutting. They also believe the NFL suffers from fans preference switching to the NFL red zone network.

Then there is the pesky fact that 2017 saw a 5% increase in TV revenue. In fact, it was highest TV revenue year in NFL history. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... t-in-2017/

The NFL saw both a tv ratings and revenue increase in 2018.

I guess all the people mad about the anthem protests are watching the true ‘Merican sport: NASCAR. But wait, that sport is seeing an historical decline in tv ratings and revenue. Goddamn Kaepernick!!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It is distressing that people really, truly believe that TV ratings suffered in a material way over anthem protests.

BUT - there is no doubt that there's a very suggestible segment of the population out there, one that gravitates toward fear of the other.