Scholarship numbers

Kansas Football.
vmlb

Scholarship numbers

Post by vmlb »

Just read the LJW article on Long's proposal to increase scholly numbers. I don't understand how his proposal would help overall numbers.
One thing I would like to see changed, to "level the playing field" in football, would be;
Any team that doesn't play in a bowl game gets an extra week of practice the following year.
The main reason for making a crap bowl is to get the extra practice time.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Scholarship numbers

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It helps when classes are lopsided, likes ours was. We have(had) way too many upperclassmen and it led to a very small amount of scholarship players after those classes graduate. Once you get 35 enrolled, you can do things like redshirt, grayshirt, blueshirt to balance out the classes (i.e. maybe only 15-20 become true sophomores after one year). We just can't get enough guys in with the 25 player limit without it taking 4-5 years to replenish the entire roster.

As for the bowl game thing, development during bowl "preparation" is incredibly overrated by fans. Those are blow-off practices and games. A stubbed toe will keep you out of participation. The only real value is it gives some guys that haven't played all year a chance to play in a real game.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

According to the proposal, a team could get 40 players one year then would be limited to 10 the next. In 2 years you would still have the same numbers. Clemson and Alabama and other great programs would probably love this change. They could then recruit by talent in a certain upcoming class. If the talent pool sucked in the 2023 class, but the 24 class is loaded, they could sign fewer in the 23 class then offer more in the 24 class.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Also want to vent on this Beaty contract crap. Long is starting to really piss me off for not paying the former coach.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

vmlb wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 am According to the proposal, a team could get 40 players one year then would be limited to 10 the next. In 2 years you would still have the same numbers.
Correct, but when you're deficient on players like we are, you need players in the program NOW. For this upcoming season. You can balance out the class numbers with red/blue/gray shirts.

It would be a great help for us, and perhaps in other scenarios, too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

vmlb wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:57 am Also want to vent on this Beaty contract crap. Long is starting to really piss me off for not paying the former coach.
I was in the "wash your hands of him" camp at the beginning when the lawsuit was filed. Now, after reading up, there's not enough public information for anyone to take a definitive stance on this. The lawyers will have to figure it out.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 am
vmlb wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:57 am Also want to vent on this Beaty contract crap. Long is starting to really piss me off for not paying the former coach.
I was in the "wash your hands of him" camp at the beginning when the lawsuit was filed. Now, after reading up, there's not enough public information for anyone to take a definitive stance on this. The lawyers will have to figure it out.
Well, the NCAA is in charge of the investigation into infractions now, so this should all be cleared up soon.

Unless Beaty did something to deliberately get KU in trouble, like as a farewell, "fuck you", I can't really envision a scenario where I didn't ultimately think we should just pay the guy. If he did commit violations, if he was doing it to help KU, I don't think withholding his money makes KU somehow look better.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:34 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 am
Well, the NCAA is in charge of the investigation into infractions now, so this should all be cleared up soon.

Unless Beaty did something to deliberately get KU in trouble, like as a farewell, "fuck you", I can't really envision a scenario where I didn't ultimately think we should just pay the guy. If he did commit violations, if he was doing it to help KU, I don't think withholding his money makes KU somehow look better.
The (large amount) of buyout cash is coming from a few people that have made a living in no small part from not ignoring contract breaches. Whatever Beaty did/maybe did, a lawsuit was likely coming either way.
Judy_Jayhawk

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

It is hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that we cheated and only won 6 games in four years. That just means Beaty sucks at cheating as much as he sucks at coaching. Long is an embarrassment! Pay the man and stop bringing further shame to KU! Just think when Miles retires...who will want the job knowing that Long will probably screw them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We're still 'top 50' in recruiting rankings.
41st.
7th in the B12.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

kstate is doing better than expected. However that will change once Kansas gets more recruits.

Side note, Mack Brown killing it at UNC. 11th best class so far. 15 recruits already committed.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KU looses out on a 3 star WR commit Keith Miller - switched to Colorado.
Gains 3 star OLB commit Krishawn Brown -- maybe our highest ranked recruit for 2020.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Some felt Miller was going to switch. Just seemed to slip from being a solid commit.

Lots of area schools going after Will Huggins. The big 6'6 TE/WR from SM South. Okie State just offered him. Arkansas and kstate are very interested, but no official offer yet.

Les getting a lot of high 3 star, low 4 star kind of guys. Can build a good program with those players.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Most had Miller off of our board already, guess it was inevitable.

Should be some DL and OL commits in the next few weeks.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, they are heavily involved with a lot of the bigger guys up front.

Love that football season is 2 and a half months away.

Still can't believe that Les Freaking Miles will be on the sideline coaching my team.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just got a 3 star pass rusher from New Orleans. Khari Coleman.

Picked Kansas over West Virginia, Tennessee, kstate and others.

Good player. Gets after the QB. Perfect fit for 3-4 pass rusher.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Highest ranked guy in the class.
Non binding - but still a good sign.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So obviously these are all commitments and it means nothing until ink is on paper. Buttt

Les Miles and Co are killing it in recruiting. They have picked up a handful of commitments on some studs for 2020. Up to the 23rd in 2020 recruiting rankings with 17 guys committed. First signing day is in December. If he can hold on to these guys for 6 months, the future will be bright.

Corner, WR, OL and DL all over this class so far. Doing some major work.

Kudos to the staff.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I just can’t imagine this team with this staff and HC falling completely apart once the season begins. If Les can show the team is competitive and he has adapted offensively I can see a good amount of those kids sticking with their commitments.
It comes at no surprise that the Hatter can recruit. That was never the issue at LSU. Can the product deliver on the field.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

With our running backs, KU should run the ball all the time.