Guess The Score rules

Kansas Football.
jhawk73

Guess The Score rules

Post by jhawk73 »

Since we have a number of new participants and this is a new board, I'm going to re-post the rules. They are the same as over the last couple of years. PM me or just reply to this post if you have any questions.
===========================================
The 1st KU football game is only a few days away so here are the rules for Guess The Score. They are unchanged from last year's football and basketball rules. Scoring is the same too. For now this is "just for fun" - no prizes. I will try to post results as quickly as possible after a game but won't promise to do so immediately. Anyway, here goes:

Please use the following format for your guesses:

KU 24
KSU 14

(Please put KU's score first, even if you are picking them to lose.)

- Lowest Score after season will be the "winner."

- Predictions must be made BEFORE the start of the game. Predictions submitted after kickoff will not count.

- IF YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE A PREDICTION PLEASE MAKE A NEW POST AND DON'T EDIT YOUR OLD ONE. The one that will be counted is the latest one, assuming it is posted before kickoff. That way I don't have to go back and recheck posts at the end to make sure someone hasn't edited something.

- NO excess commentary in the prediction. Just the score guess, nothing more. This is to make it simpler to record scores.

Scoring: The points you receive will be based on two factors: margin of victory and actual score. Margin of victory is weighted twice as much as the actual score. Absolute value of the difference is used. Low points are desired. (NOTE - this is the same as in prior years)

Example:
--------
Predicted score:
KU 24
KSU 14

Actual:
KU 40
KSU 37

Margin of victory:
------------------
Predicted (24-14) = 10
Actual (40-37) = 3

Points = (10-3)*2 = 14

Actual Score:
-------------
KU (40-24) = 16
KSU (37-14) = 23

Again absolute value of the numbers are used so no negatives!

Total Score:
------------
14 + 16 + 23 = 53

I know it sounds complicated, but the formulas are crunched in Excel using a spreadsheet that's been tested over several years so it's not hard on my end.

Exceptions:
-----------
- If you incorrectly choose the winner of the game you will receive a score of 100.

- You will receive a score of -50 points for guessing the EXACT score for each team. Remember, low score = good.

- It is possible, especially in football, to pick the right winner but be so far off on the margin of victory that you get a score greater than 100. Since it doesn't seem fair to penalize a correct winner guess more than one that is wrong, the score for a correct winner guess will be capped at 100. (Note - I'm probably going to change this to 99 to distinguish it from getting 100 for picking the wrong winner or not guessing. There was a poll after the CMU game and the consensus was that this is a reasonable idea.)

Lastly, if you fail to submit a guess for any game, your score for that game is 100.

PM me with any questions.

-jhawk73
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."