My List of HC Candidates

Kansas Football.
BleedingKansas1861

My List of HC Candidates

Post by BleedingKansas1861 »

I think our next HC should at least meet the criteria of having been a HC, no more coordinators we need stability, also someone who has the experience of turning a program around...I am tired of the lets try all the former Mangino guys and see what works, as much as I loved Mangino and that era, I think we need to completely move forward with somebody who does not have any Kansas ties. Also no big name splashes like a Charlie Weis experiment (I'm talking bout Lane Kiffin) the only big name that should be considered is Harbaugh but I don't see Michigan firing him anytime soon. Anyways here is sort of my wish list and a Dark Horse name I would love to get.

1. Jason Candle, Toledo 23-8 , Win % .742 , 4 years

2. Neal Brown, Troy 28-14 , Win % .667 , 4 years

3. Seth Littrell, North Texas 18-13 , Win % .581 , 3 years

4. Blake Anderson, Arkansas State 34-21 , Win % .618 , 5 years

5. Jeff Monken, Army 26-28 , Win % .481 , 5 years

DARK HORSE

6. Bo Pelini, Youngstown St 67-27 , Win % .713 , 8 years

This guy absolutely knows how to win and I think would bring back a toughness to Kansas we haven't seen since the Mangino days. Yes he's been winning at the FCS level but he was consistently winning 8-9 games at Nebraska before the witch hunt was started. I believe he deserves a second chance and would be a great fit as long as he is still eager and hungry to win meaningful Power 5 games.

Feel free to share your input and thoughts on other guys you believe could succeed as well.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: My List of HC Candidates

Post by pdub »

Digging your choices and I agree.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I do not want anyone with "Texas recruiting ties." Kansas needs to recruit Texas to sign guys who will develop (see, Reesing, Talib), but Kansas will never compete for the better Texas high school football players.

And I don't want a head coach that will attempt some type of rinky dink offense ("Air Raid") that does not work in our weather conditions.

I just want things to change.
BleedingKansas1861

Agreed I am very discouraged to see how Matt Rhule in his second year at Baylor is turning things around quickly very similar to how Matt Campbell did at Iowa St. I am not saying these two teams are world beaters but they play disciplined smart football and that's all we are asking for as a fan base we have yet to see that in year 4.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

My list from top to bottom:

1. Neal Brown - Probably the best mid-major coach, record has gotten better every year
2. Seth Littrell - KU connection, Was always an assistant at a P5 school, so he knows his stuff
3. Jason Candle - Probably needs 1 more successful year to move up, but like what he's doing
4. Troy Calhoun - 8 winning seasons in 13 years. Not just an option guy. OC in NFL.
5. Blake Anderson - Has been OK at Ark St. One big year away from being a name. Fun guy.

My Dark Horses:
Bielema. Still think the connection with Long is big. And he's a damn good coach.
Pelini. Not sure if he's still crazy psycho guy, but he's good at defense and that's a plus.
Harsin. Kept Boise train rolling. 44-13 at Boise. Still think a bigger school gets him. Mich or someone.

Need someone who is a current HC or has been one within the last 2-3 years. We can't afford to have an assistant come in here. I think Long sees that and realizes that. That was all Zenger could do when he hired Beaty, and Beaty has done a great job at getting numbers back up to respectable. But he struggles on the day to day operations of football and being a complete manager of the team on and off the field.

It's going to be a mid-major HC or a previous HC who has been away from college for a couple of years. That was what my list was based off of.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BleedingKansas1861 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:00 am Agreed I am very discouraged to see how Matt Rhule in his second year at Baylor is turning things around quickly very similar to how Matt Campbell did at Iowa St. I am not saying these two teams are world beaters but they play disciplined smart football and that's all we are asking for as a fan base we have yet to see that in year 4.
Yes and no on this. Campbell and Rhule didn't have the complete lack of roster spots like Beaty had when he got here. You couldn't really judge Beaty like you judge Campbell or Rhule until his year 3. But year 3 was bad, and the start to year 4 has been meh. Will likely only win 3 games this year. Not enough to save his job when you have a guy with connections like Jeff Long.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

BleedingKansas1861

That's a good point didn't think of it like that...by all means I wish Beaty could get it turned around just seems like we are not utilizing our talent correctly on offense the defense has been a pleasant surprise this year though 26 points is the largest amount given up all year hoping we can keep okie st under 30 as well. Need to decoy pooka more and utilize Herbert and Dom and when there is 8 in the box we HAVE got to throw the ball. Sims has got to get open we need to get him going. Been pleased with Stephon Robinson wish we could get Quan Hampton and Evan Fairs in the mix I don't think our recievers are as bad as they've showed so far Meachem need to figure it out as Beaty would say "We've got some Dude's!"
BleedingKansas1861

Also agree with your coaching list I would love to get the Boise coach but agree he is destined for a bigger job plus being a boise alum doubt he would leave for Kansas.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BleedingKansas1861 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:38 am That's a good point didn't think of it like that...by all means I wish Beaty could get it turned around just seems like we are not utilizing our talent correctly on offense the defense has been a pleasant surprise this year though 26 points is the largest amount given up all year hoping we can keep okie st under 30 as well. Need to decoy pooka more and utilize Herbert and Dom and when there is 8 in the box we HAVE got to throw the ball. Sims has got to get open we need to get him going. Been pleased with Stephon Robinson wish we could get Quan Hampton and Evan Fairs in the mix I don't think our recievers are as bad as they've showed so far Meachem need to figure it out as Beaty would say "We've got some Dude's!"
Agreed. The WR are some dudes. Fairs, Booker, Quan are all good and Sims has had an eerily quiet year so far. He'll bust out on a game at some point. But you have to throw the ball.

BleedingKansas1861

This might be gimmicky but I would love to see the touch pass fly sweep play that KC Chiefs run to Hill and DAT... try it with Pooka or even decoy Pooka and run it with Herbert or Sims somebody that has speed to get around the edge...at this point I'm digging for answers but this could be a play you run once or twice won't solve the passing game issues but a well designed play to pick up some yards.
BleedingKansas1861

Also miss the days when Mangino would install a trick play each week just something to run midway through the 3rd quarter to give the offense a spark. Something as simple as Halfback pass or Hook and Ladder just something creative they thought they could take advantage of. Gives the guys a bit of a spark at practice to, learning a play with the goal of hitting it big getting a bit of momentum back later in the game. Meachem has nothing to lose at this point.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Solid list! Bo Pelini is always someone I thought of as a dark horse that I wouldn't mind being at KU. If Nebraska is crazy enough to fire coaches after 9 win seasons, they deserve to see how bad things can get. Rumblings after the Nicholls loss seemed to be that Jeff Long's coaching search would focus on a whole different group of coaches than what usually comes up around the KU job. Interested to see what that looks like coming up soon.
edjayhawk

Post by edjayhawk »

Bo Pelini is a hot head and wouldn't get along with the academic types at KU.
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

I'd like to see someone that can be a hardass like Glen Mason without being unhinged like Pelini. I don't know who that is, but it would be nice to see.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Lane Kiffin
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
BleedingKansas1861

I don't want Charlie Weis Jr. as OC he is currently Kiffin's OC at FAU. Plus I think he would use as a stepping stone for a more prominent program in 3 years or less and then we'd be in the same hole we're in now. Would like to see someone come in and bring stability which would be 5-7 to 7-5 with occasionally having an 8-4 type of season or better with a really talented Sr. class.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BleedingKansas1861 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:56 am I don't want Charlie Weis Jr. as OC he is currently Kiffin's OC at FAU. Plus I think he would use as a stepping stone for a more prominent program in 3 years or less and then we'd be in the same hole we're in now. Would like to see someone come in and bring stability which would be 5-7 to 7-5 with occasionally having an 8-4 type of season or better with a really talented Sr. class.
If he did well enough in 3 years to warrant a more prominent job, we'd be in a much better spot, the cupboard would be full and we'd be coming off a winning season or two.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
BleedingKansas1861

I understand your point I guess I am just biased and not a big Kiffin fan...I will literally take anyone else
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I’m going to add Willie Fritz from Tulane to my liatn Has been good at every stop. From Sam Houston ST, to a Georgia Southern, to Tulane now. A .655 win percentage through this years and a native Kansan as well.

They just destroyed Memphis tonight. And people noticed.

Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Let Kansas Football be a stepping stone program. Better than a Laughing Stock. Win 24 games in 3 years and the AD should write the greatest recommendation letter ever.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster