Doug Meacham Fired

Kansas Football.
UnholyLivingDead

Doug Meacham Fired

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

KU just announced on Twitter. Beaty takes over play-calling.

https://twitter.com/KU_Football/status/ ... 6890612736
HouseDivided

Re: Doug Meacham Fired

Post by HouseDivided »

Wow. That must be what the problem was - not enough input from the genius Beaty.
What a load of garbage.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

Its a shame he can't fire himself
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

LVCHawk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm Its a shame he can't fire himself
Oh, he is.
UnholyLivingDead

I know the play calling hasn't been great but I feel like it's going to get a whole lot worse.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

How is this going to be a good thing? Was Doug not getting plays in fast enough or was it Beaty trying to have too much input causing the delay in getting plays into the team? "The coordination of the offense for the remainder of the season would be a team effort...." more people having input is just going to increase the timeout/delay of game issues. Well, hopefully the bye week will help implement all the changes to make an improved offense before the season is over.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

nu_bronco wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 pm How is this going to be a good thing? Was Doug not getting plays in fast enough or was it Beaty trying to have too much input causing the delay in getting plays into the team? "The coordination of the offense for the remainder of the season would be a team effort...." more people having input is just going to increase the timeout/delay of game issues. Well, hopefully the bye week will help implement all the changes to make an improved offense before the season is over.
Anything Beaty touches ends up a cluster hump. This is a deluded desperation move on his part to try to shift blame and salvage his job. If the new AD is anywhere near competent, it won’t make a bit of difference.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

How many delay of game calls are coming our way?
Defense. Rebounds.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm How many delay of game calls are coming our way?
Per game or per quarter?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:49 pm
nu_bronco wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 pm How is this going to be a good thing? Was Doug not getting plays in fast enough or was it Beaty trying to have too much input causing the delay in getting plays into the team? "The coordination of the offense for the remainder of the season would be a team effort...." more people having input is just going to increase the timeout/delay of game issues. Well, hopefully the bye week will help implement all the changes to make an improved offense before the season is over.
Anything Beaty touches ends up a cluster hump. This is a deluded desperation move on his part to try to shift blame and salvage his job. If the new AD is anywhere near competent, it won’t make a bit of difference.
If anything, this is meant to give Beaty enough rope to hang himself.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Maybe he read Tom's article about potential interim coaches and thinks that since Garrett Riley shares DNA with Lincoln he could call plays better than Doug.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:02 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm How many delay of game calls are coming our way?
Per game or per quarter?
Exactly
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Don't get me wrong, our offense pretty much sucks and I get that we had defensive and special teams points - and I am too lazy to look up exactly how many points our offense scored but.....

We put up more points on Rachel McNichols than 3 of their other 5 opponents.
We put up 31 points on CMU. None of their other opponents put up more than 35.
We put up 55 on Rutgers (granted our offense didn't put up many of those points). Freaking Ohio State didn't put up 55 on them and no other team has/did.
Ok, we didn't do jackshit against Baylor.
We put up 28 on Okie State. More than 3 of their other 5 opponents.
We put up 22 on WVU. More than all but one other of their opponents.
I say that = Super Bowl caliber football.

Come on! The freaking clown show decides to can the OC in the middle of the season? A guy who is arguably in the top 20% of OCs in the country. For what? To feel a need to expose a scapegoat and deflect blame off of the other horse shit on our coaching staff?
Are we waiting for 0-5 Kelly and/or 0-5 Frost to get fired? Seriously, who are we going to bring in that is/was better than Meacham? I suppose our new HC will get to decide that. Stay tuned.
Looking like next season we will have our 5th HC in 10 seasons. Fanfreakingtastic!
UnholyLivingDead

I have to think with what we've seen the last couple weeks, Beaty and Meacham were not getting along. Plus, these stats show a situation where the offense was actually improving. Now that may not be through play calling and design and might have more to do with talent (like Pooka) but still. Here's where KU ranked in terms of total offense during the Beaty era.

2018 so far: 86th (Meacham)
2017: 120th (Meacham)
2016: 113th (Beaty/Likens)
2015: 119th (Beaty/Likens)
noosh

Post by noosh »

nu_bronco wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 pm Maybe he read Tom's article about potential interim coaches and thinks that since Garrett Riley shares DNA with Lincoln he could call plays better than Doug.
The few times I've been around Riley's wife I can assure you she has no interest in Garrett remaining here. This is the definition of a pit stop for that family. Also, this would be the most stupid fucking rationale in history to hand the reins over to someone.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

There should only be 3 holdovers on the new staff.

Hull, Bill Miller and AJ Ricker. Hull for recruiting. Miller and Ricker for the progress in their units so far this season.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The new coach should do whatever he wants with his staff.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gutter's Mother wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 am
A guy who is arguably in the top 20% of OCs in the country.
Based on what?

Certainly nothing he's done here. He was only at Houston as the OC for one year, and I don't think their offense set the world on fire that year. He was always Co-OC at TCU with Sonny Cumbie for the 3 years he was there and they haven't seemed to miss a beat since he left. In fact, they were 6-7 in Meacham's final year there, and won 11 games after he left...so maybe he isn't the offensive mastermind he's gotten credit for being.

Meacham's done nothing to suggest his firing is unwarranted. That's not to defend Beaty though, this is the second OC he's had to fire, and if you've had to chase off two OC's and the offense didn't (doesn't) improve in their absence, you gotta think maybe you're the problem.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Or maybe playing three dozen quarterbacks during Beaty's tenure has been the problem.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

This,to me, says Beatty was told nothing short of a bowl will prevent his firing. He is trying to go out on his own term before becoming Wide Receivers coach at A&M