Beaty Fired:

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Beaty Fired:

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Beaty seems like a big Charlot fan, too, and Charlot does nothing for me.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

LOL. Great TD catch by Charlot there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Beaty's last quote as a Kansas coach.

"If you want a good man. Go find you a Kansas football player."

I hate this because I like Beaty a lot. Would love to have him as a positional coach at this school. He's one of the biggest cheerleaders KU could have in a coach. But man, he could just not coach and manage the team on a day-to-day or game by game basis.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

A player that plays hard through 4 years of bad coaching/development and 10% winning percentage is probably a high character athlete.

There are also very few of those, hence why we only have about 50 total players.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I liked Beaty more than the other two before him.
I also think he was the best fit of all three.
That didn’t stop him from loosing so many games and if you’re in charge for four years and can’t make much change, it’s time to move on.

I really wanted him to do well here.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We all know Weis was a dumpster fire. Gill we barely knew. He wasn't ready to run a Power 5 program. Beaty was the most likable out of those two but fell under the same category as Gill.

I've talked to Beaty a few times and he was a great guy. I knew many former players who played for him and they all loved him. Swore by him. But in the end personal feelings couldn't overcome the fact that he couldn't field at least a competent product week in and week out until his last year when it was to late.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I was excited about Weis but it was pretty quick into the first year I realized he was full of it.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Second game of his tenure for me. The loss to Rice. That was bad, I was there in section 4. They blew that game. Then an future NFL kicker game on and kicked a 50 yarder to win it. That’s when I knew it was bad.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:47 pm I was excited about Weis but it was pretty quick into the first year I realized he was full of it.
Yeah, I was the same way.

I was done with Gill at his first spring game when he either had the players recite some promise or he announced it. These are college kids trying to take away their phones and the other things didn't make me think he was going to be able to recruit kids.

I liked the Beaty hire because of the way he said he loved KU. I will admit I was still holding out hope until I took the family to the first game this year and witnessed him still not able to make up his mind. I was done with him after that game.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... of-kansas/

Beaty helping UT this eeek. OU not happy about it.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Boomer Sooner!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That's allsome.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So, a lot has been made about Beaty getting the program in the right direction and Beaty leaving the program better off than what he found it.

I think it's just too premature to make those statements. Sure, we looked better this year and it was the best team in a long time. You could see talent, particularly most of Tony Hull's recruits. But, Beaty really sold out the roster for this season.

LJWorld did a write-up last night about the position we are actually in. Les Miles confirmed that we only have 15 scholarships to give out as a result of blue-shirting and gray-shirting and some of those recipient not being D-1 caliber.

Beaty stated that there were only 39 scholarship players when he took the program over. Some transfers after Weis firing may have played into that, I don't recall.

The LJWorld counts 53 scholarship players right now. Of course, not all of those players are legitimate D-1 scholarship players. If you look at the roster breakdown in the link below, that becomes pretty obvious, for instance James Sosinksi. So even if we are taking Beaty at his word, we are talking a single digit increase of scholarship players in 4 years here.

Over the next couple of seasons, keep this in mind. We have a long road head to field a Power-5 roster.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/nov/ ... -continue/
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

There's no question that Beaty inherited a situation that was worse than how he's leaving it. What he inherited is as bad as it can possibly be. The improvement definitely seems to be incremental though, given, as you point out, the number of seniors leaving, most of our talented players were in their final year of eligibility.

There's talent in the Juniors and in the Freshmen. Not a lot but some. Another real issue though, is in that looking one year down the line, half of those players will be gone. We only have, according to the article you mentioned, 25 players with more than a year of eligibility. Which...I'd normally say is ok since the new coach could bring in more of his own guys, but as you mentioned we only have 15 schollies to give out.

I'm still scratching my head how we can have 11 Freshmen, AND a limited number of scholarships.

But like you said, we'll have to wait and see, at least to see who and how many transfer out. But there is a nucleus of talent there. And, at least as of today 53 is better than 39.

Clearly Beaty didn't improve our situation very much or we'd be talking about year 5 of his tenure.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ugh. If allegations have anything behind them, this does not look good for KU.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just seems so much against what Long stands for. It’s just a really weird thing.

I get the whole NCAA investigation thing, I guess. Because that saves KU money. But my feeling is they have delayed all of this because they don’t have that money readily available because it’s tied up with facilities, new staff and whatnot.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Well, guess I was wrong. KU supposedly has the money in an escrow. Seems like a “he said, she said” scenario.

https://twitter.com/nick_schwerdt/statu ... 58240?s=21

shindig

Post by shindig »

Beaty is fortunate KU doesn't sue him for performing his duties in a grossly negligent manner.
Last edited by shindig on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Another day another negative headline for KU Athletics. Thus are the times.

I do find it interesting a staffer was under investigation while your men’s basketball HC and his lead assistant were on the phones brokering deals for players. Allegedly.
Holidaysmore - 2005