Beaty Fired:

Kansas Football.
PhDhawk

Re: Beaty Fired:

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't give two shits about how well he grooms QBs if he wins games, and he does.

he had good recruiting classes at Okie State, so it's not entirely a geography thing.

I find it funny that there are so many acting like we're too good for Miles. He's not my first choice, and may not be the perfect fit, but we just fired a guy who'd never even been a HC and his previous position was WR coach...I'm not going to shit on a guy with a NC win and 2 chances and more than a handful of 10-win seasons. It's taken us 6 years to get our last 10 wins.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:01 am ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes! If a coach like Miles wants to come to KU, you do what you can to make it happen after you do your due diligence. Which is what I think Long is doing by going to other places.

I'm not looking for a 10-2 season. I want a solid 5-7 win season every year and be competitive. And I think Miles can achieve that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i'd even be happy with a majority (>50%) of our seasons being 6-6 or 7-5 and bowl eligible, with some great 9 or 10 win seasons sprinkled in
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Same here. The stadium would be full more often than not and it would give a lot of people reason to watch the game. Now there is not much reason, although I still watch about every game.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

Did you all see the mention on .com of Jedd Fisch....

Fisch currently works for the Rams as a senior offensive assistant.

I like the idea of a younger HC (than Miles).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, he'd be good. Only 42 or whatever. I'd much rather him be the OC.

But he goes against everything Long said he wanted in presser. Never been a HC. Doesn't have any sort of building a program. Unknown recruiter. Never been at a place more than 2 years. Lots of red flags for a big hire like this.

This is the most important hire in KU football history. It needs to be right. Which is why I think Long will pay big bucks and go after a proven name.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

3rdGenJayhawk wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 am Did you all see the mention on .com of Jedd Fisch....

Fisch currently works for the Rams as a senior offensive assistant.

I like the idea of a younger HC (than Miles).
Age doesn't matter too much when they all last 3 years or less.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We would be best to follow ISU's blueprint. Be competitive every year. Win at least five games a year. Sprinkle in an upset once a season. When you have a deep, developed junior and senior heavy team you win 8+ games. You do that you could average 40k'ish people in the seats and effectively revitalize a dead program.

I also wonder why Les has stayed unemployed (from coaching) for so long? I know he had other interests in acting but I can't imagine he was sitting around waiting for the KU job to open up like that was his dream job.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Dennis Dodd mentioned this on the Drive 610 in KC..

I think for 2017 season, he wanted a high profile job. Texas, Oregon, OU were the biggest ones available.

Texas filled theirs in 2 days. OU hired in house since Stoops retired in June. Oregon just doesn't seem like a fit.

In 2018 age seemed to be a concern because he never really got a chance for an interview.

Now I think he'll take anything he can get. And with connection to Long, it's just making sense.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

1. You must remember seahawk has a long illogical disdain for Les Miles because her husband's distant cousin or someone she stood in a sno-cone line with went to LSU during the Miles era. Of course that era produced two title games and a NC.

2. Miles has been on record repeatedly that he would bring someone else in to run a different offense if he ever got back into coaching. Hugh Freeze being someone he specifically mentioned.

3. Orgeron, the supposed LSU savior who makes Kurtis Townsend look like a monk when it comes to recruiting violations, has done very well without Miles helping him on offense. So much to the point that they rank in the 90's in both total offense and scoring offense.

4. Miles is the only guy that could retain Hull, the guy that is already stealing Louisiana recruits from Orgeron.

5. Comparing Miles to Weis is an automatic disqualifier for discussion of replacement coaches. It's a completely ignorant take on the last 10 years of KU football. We are here because of a shitload of bad decisions and personnel, but they're not all equal or the same.

All that said, Miles would be a home run of a hire. But like a 330 foot RF home run b/c you know there is at least the possibility of a sudden gust of wind turning it into a long fly ball out. The job ahead is long and extremely difficult. What is Miles's desire other than proving a minority of LSU fans wrong and helping his buddy Jeff Long out?

In the end, we have a top-notch football AD and whomever he hires will be such an immediate and definitive upgrade over what we've had to endure. And, it really sounds like we won't make it through the weekend without knowing who that guy is.

The smart money is on Les and it will be the biggest day in KUFB in over a decade.

P.S. My gosh is this board in need of good discussion.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Welcome back.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

YAY! CNB is back.

Fucking suck it pdub, you looser.

Frontbutt must be so pissed right now.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:35 am We would be best to follow ISU's blueprint. Be competitive every year. Win at least five games a year. Sprinkle in an upset once a season. When you have a deep, developed junior and senior heavy team you win 8+ games. You do that you could average 40k'ish people in the seats and effectively revitalize a dead program.
This is the blueprint we've always desired. I'll only go back to 2010ish but I'm sure Leawood could give us the details on how it's been like this since at least first World War. We've needed a guy to get the roster in that position and after 7 years of Weis/Beaty we're still 2 completely full recruiting classes matriculating until we can even begin to talk about ascending to Iowa frickin' State consistency.

If we don't make a splash with Miles then it has to be an incredibly boring hire like Todd Graham. Graham is Bear Bryant compared to Beaty/Bowen.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Jedf Fisch is interesting. Maybe one of the best football offensive minds in the game. He will make a great Head Coach but maybe not at Kansas. Miles is the right chioce. Not as flashy as Fisch. But Kansas doesn't need flashy now; it needs nuts and bolts. We can risk any failure this time. Four poor choices in a row is fatal. Long was hired to make smart choices not flashy one.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Talib is endorsing / campaigning for. ^
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:07 pm Jedf Fisch is interesting. Maybe one of the best football offensive minds in the game. He will make a great Head Coach but maybe not at Kansas. Miles is the right chioce. Not as flashy as Fisch. But Kansas doesn't need flashy now; it needs nuts and bolts. We can risk any failure this time. Four poor choices in a row is fatal. Long was hired to make smart choices not flashy one.
Fisch could be all of that but he most certainly is not what Long is looking for. The word is that we're days away from an announcement. Jeff Long is an absolute liar if he hires a guy during the season that has no head coaching experience. We're specifically looking at prospects that won't have to learn on the job.

But, if it's true that the new coach gives a speech at halftime tomorrow, then it's going to be one of Miles, Graham or Fisch.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Holy shit.
He has returned.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 pmWelcome back.
You're a good dude 99.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:07 pm Jedf Fisch is interesting. Maybe one of the best football offensive minds in the game. He will make a great Head Coach but maybe not at Kansas. Miles is the right chioce. Not as flashy as Fisch. But Kansas doesn't need flashy now; it needs nuts and bolts. We can risk any failure this time. Four poor choices in a row is fatal. Long was hired to make smart choices not flashy one.
Fisch could be all of that but he most certainly is not what Long is looking for. The word is that we're days away from an announcement. Jeff Long is an absolute liar if he hires a guy during the season that has no head coaching experience. We're specifically looking at prospects that won't have to learn on the job.

But, if it's true that the new coach gives a speech at halftime tomorrow, then it's going to be one of Miles, Graham or Fisch.
This is everything I have heard. Smart money on Miles. Graham wouldn't be bad. Fisch is a guy who is the exact opposite of what Long wants on the job.

I have seen from multiple people on twitter that says sources are saying Miles is the guy, but Long is doing his due diligence in looking at all options before he makes it official. But Miles will be the guy within the next week. Possibly as early as tomorrow.