Welcome Coach Miles!

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Welcome Coach Miles!

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:20 am Pay no attention to the Miserables.

The Coordinator candidates being thrown around are exciting.

We should all be rooting for Tulsa to lose its last game.
They probably will. And if KU can get Phil Montgomery, I will kiss Les on the mouth if I ever come across him.

I did like his answer at the presser. When they had Mettenberger, they threw for 3,000 yards and had 2 1,000 yard receivers. And won 10 games. When they wanted to run, they would run all over the place and still win 10 games.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:08 am
Les was rusty. That's also not his kind of setting. Suit and tie, having to give PC answers.

I went to HawkTalk and he was visibly much more comfortable. Once the convo hit football, he wanted to own the room. Shook hands while Jeff Long was speaking (who is a great public speaker).
[/quote]

I agree with that. He doesn't do well in a buttoned up setting with generic answers. You'll see the real Les Miles during signing day and Spring Ball. He'll turn it up a notch or 4.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

A lot of talk prior to the hire about Miles being 65.

He might not have given a great presser, but he looked more like 55 than 65.

Hell Weis actually was about 55 when we hired him and looked like 75.

Miles looked like he could coach another 10 years...and, he'd still be 4 years younger than old balls is right now.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:26 pm A lot of talk prior to the hire about Miles being 65.

Miles looked like he could coach another 10 years...and, he'd still be 4 years younger than old balls is right now.
I kind of forgot when a Weis was introduced at halftime of the basketball game. He came out with a cane from a knee replacement or whatever it was.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:26 pm A lot of talk prior to the hire about Miles being 65.

The age talk always annoyed the hell out of me.

This is Kansas Football. What 49 year old coach with Les Miles's resume is giving KU the time of day?

You either take the young guy that's never done this before or you take a guy a little long in the tooth that has done this before. Anyone in the middle was never coming here.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:20 am Pay no attention to the Miserables.

They probably will. And if KU can get Phil Montgomery, I will kiss Les on the mouth if I ever come across him.

I did like his answer at the presser. When they had Mettenberger, they threw for 3,000 yards and had 2 1,000 yard receivers. And won 10 games. When they wanted to run, they would run all over the place and still win 10 games.
Wait, Miles wasn't responsible for recruiting and training QBs, it was just about luck?

He's basically explaining that he was absolutely correct in the offensive philosophy at LSU that got him fired. Trouble is he won't be following the greatest coach ever, who rebuilt the program before Les got there.
Don't inject Lysol.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I think the key to success is getting back to 1955 to secure both Grays Sports Almanac and Les Miles playbook.
I am, I said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

seahawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Wait, Miles wasn't responsible for recruiting and training QBs, it was just about luck?

He's basically explaining that he was absolutely correct in the offensive philosophy at LSU that got him fired. Trouble is he won't be following the greatest coach ever, who rebuilt the program before Les got there.
He followed Bob Simmons at OSU and still did pretty well there.

When he won 10+ games every year from 2010-2014 it was more than 5 years after Saban left and failed miserably in the NFL.

The narrative that you're trying to peddle just isn't true. He took over a shitty 3-win OSU team and had them winning 9 games in year 3. He had sustained excellence at LSU for more than a decade. This isn't Mark Helfrich.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

There is a lot going on in this answer. First Mettenberger was UGA recruit that never gets to LSU but does something dumb and gets kicked off the team. Second those two 1,000 yard receivers were Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry two 5-star recruits out of Louisiana
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

hartjack8 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:12 pm I did like his answer at the presser. When they had Mettenberger, they threw for 3,000 yards and had 2 1,000 yard receivers. And won 10 games. When they wanted to run, they would run all over the place and still win 10 games.

There is a lot going on in this answer. First Mettenberger was UGA recruit that never gets to LSU but does something dumb and gets kicked off the team. Second those two 1,000 yard receivers were Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry two 5-star recruits out of Louisiana
Shows that he coaches to his strengths. The flip side to that is, even without having an NFL caliber QB, he can adjust what he does to win.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Les did say something interesting to one question about the pass happy Big-12. His response was the defenses were set up to stop the run in the Big-12. Look you can win a lot of games with a strong defense and strong running game.

What Les did was hire Cam Cameron from the NFL as his OC which led to these results.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:12 am Speaking of does anyone have the audio from HawkTalk last night?
www.kuathletics.leanplayer.com
Click on “Play Past Events.”
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

"Athletic director Jeff Long, speaking in August about six weeks after being hired, said when Kansas hired coach David Beaty for only $600,000 annually, the school "sent a message we don't care about football."

That piece from SI was great. And Long nailed it. He didn't mean to throw him under the bus, but this is all on Zenger. The reason he only wanted to pay $600k is because of all the money wasted on two coaches drawing pay checks who weren't even on campus anymore. Zenger was trying to save his job any way that he could.

As much as I can't stand what Weiss did to this program, Zenger did worse.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

What I liked most about the Hawk Talk audio was Long saying Miles was more concerned about staff pay than his own salary. He mentioned 6 full time recruiters, and analysts whose full time jobs would be scouting opponents 2 and 3 games in advance.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

kubandalum wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:19 pm What I liked most about the Hawk Talk audio was Long saying Miles was more concerned about staff pay than his own salary. He mentioned 6 full time recruiters, and analysts whose full time jobs would be scouting opponents 2 and 3 games in advance.
Every other major college football program has that. Glad Kansas is getting it now too!

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

kubandalum wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:19 pm What I liked most about the Hawk Talk audio was Long saying Miles was more concerned about staff pay than his own salary. He mentioned 6 full time recruiters, and analysts whose full time jobs would be scouting opponents 2 and 3 games in advance.
Beaty tried with the recruiter positions. He had about 4 or 5 people that seemed to be focused on recruiting whether it be off-campus or on-campus.

But really glad that this administration has football on the brain. Long and Vollmar are huge for this program right now, and this will start showing by early 2020s.

Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 pm
Beaty tried with the recruiter positions. He had about 4 or 5 people that seemed to be focused on recruiting whether it be off-campus or on-campus.

But really glad that this administration has football on the brain. Long and Vollmar are huge for this program right now, and this will start showing by early 2020s.
Early on, the effort was there, but the results did not come on the recruiting trail or on the field. Those two aren't unrelated, either.

Long had to make a move right away. The next class was looking like single digit legit D-1 players. Disastrous. You break the cycle now from the top down.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:05 pm
seahawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:50 pm

He followed Bob Simmons at OSU and still did pretty well there.

When he won 10+ games every year from 2010-2014 it was more than 5 years after Saban left and failed miserably in the NFL.

The narrative that you're trying to peddle just isn't true. He took over a shitty 3-win OSU team and had them winning 9 games in year 3. He had sustained excellence at LSU for more than a decade. This isn't Mark Helfrich.
I lived in Louisiana and remember LSU football before Nick Saban rescued it. Les Miles had no part in that and from his record with the huge amounts of talent provided to him by Saban, wasn't capable of it. The last years of Miles' time at LSU, after Saban demonstrated in the NC game exactly what a mediocre coach Miles is, his record was 8-5, 9-3, and 2-2 and his record against the SEC west was 10-10.
Don't inject Lysol.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You could credit a previous coach if you really wanted to for 4 years of talent provided by a previous coach.
So if you don't count those 4 years where the talent was 'provided' ( which is still flawed ) LSU went 71-23 under Les Miles.