Welcome Coach Miles!

Kansas Football.
PhDhawk

Re: Welcome Coach Miles!

Post by PhDhawk »

seahawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:05 pm
seahawk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Wait, Miles wasn't responsible for recruiting and training QBs, it was just about luck?

He's basically explaining that he was absolutely correct in the offensive philosophy at LSU that got him fired. Trouble is he won't be following the greatest coach ever, who rebuilt the program before Les got there.
He followed Bob Simmons at OSU and still did pretty well there.

When he won 10+ games every year from 2010-2014 it was more than 5 years after Saban left and failed miserably in the NFL.

The narrative that you're trying to peddle just isn't true. He took over a shitty 3-win OSU team and had them winning 9 games in year 3. He had sustained excellence at LSU for more than a decade. This isn't Mark Helfrich.
I lived in Louisiana and remember LSU football before Nick Saban rescued it. Les Miles had no part in that and from his record with the huge amounts of talent provided to him by Saban, wasn't capable of it. The last years of Miles' time at LSU, after Saban demonstrated in the NC game exactly what a mediocre coach Miles is, his record was 8-5, 9-3, and 2-2 and his record against the SEC west was 10-10.
I'd love some 8-9 win seasons.

Not sure what point you're trying to make with those numbers. You want to prove that Miles is merely a great coach and not a legend? I agree. I don't think I've seen any predictions of a national title in 2020 or anything. My realistic hope for 5 years of his contract is we go to some bowl games, not that we become Alabama.

Who is giving Miles credit for resurrecting LSU anyway? I haven't seen that posted here or anywhere. And let's ease up on the saban love fest...he took over lsu after two loosing seasons, but they'd won 10 and 9 games before that.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Forgetting or remembering whatever seasons one chooses that Saban and Miles were at LSU, the 10,11, and 12 seasons were excellent and 71-23 is damn good if not great anywhere.
If I am not mistaken Miles was 114-34 at LSU. There isn't a KU fan in the world that would have a problem if Miles did half of that (57-17) at KU. Heck, I think people would be just fine if KU went 57-51 under Miles. If I am not mistaken Saban went 48-16 at LSU. My math may suck but doesn't that work out to be worse than 114-34?
That being said, I wonder LSU wouldn't have gone 90-4 under Saban during those seasons where Miles went 71-23 and who is to say they wouldn't have gone 4-90 under Beaty during those seasons?
We will never know.
Without even coaching a single game yet, I am confident Miles and staff > Beaty and staff, and no KU fan should have a problem with that.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sea is expecting KU fans to want to go 10-2 every year. We don’t. We just want a competent coach and staff that can get KU to 5-7 wins a year, put butts in the seats to make Memorial look good and get the stadium redone. Miles checks all those boxes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 am Sea is expecting KU fans to want to go 10-2 every year. We don’t. We just want a competent coach and staff that can get KU to 5-7 wins a year, put butts in the seats to make Memorial look good and get the stadium redone. Miles checks all those boxes.
That's the first step, yes.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Have always said this is a 3 step process.

1st step was hiring a coach for cheap who could recruit talent and get scholarship numbers up there again. Beaty did that, although the blueshirts will hurt this year's class.

2nd step is hiring a good coach who can make Kansas a consistent .500 team with a big upset here or there and a pain in the ass to every team that plays them. Les Miles fills that role.

3rd step is hiring the young coach who is talented and can take Kansas to the next step. That hire is obviously TBD but this is all apart of the plan.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Why the fuck were we blueshirting so many players when according to the dotcom, we weren't filling our allotment in scholarship players in the first place. I mean, were these scholarships going to what should have been walk-ons? Is this why Beaty wouldn't say who was on scholarship? It was because everyone wearing pads got a scholarship?

thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Ok, I have no idea what "blueshirting" is...can someone catch me up on that.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

thekid6 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am Ok, I have no idea what "blueshirting" is...can someone catch me up on that.
When you are over your scholarship limit you can give some players scholarships now, that count against your scholarship total the next year. So if you have 25 guys but 20 scholarships allowed you can give all 25 guys a scholly, but you loose 5 next year and the 5 guys given a blue shirt can't play and they also can't have been recruited players, so no official visits and no in home visits.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 am Why the fuck were we blueshirting so many players when according to the dotcom, we weren't filling our allotment in scholarship players in the first place. I mean, were these scholarships going to what should have been walk-ons? Is this why Beaty wouldn't say who was on scholarship? It was because everyone wearing pads got a scholarship?
Probably. Beaty didn't fix the scholarship issue as much as he would like us to think. It's still below P5 standards, but much better than when he received the keys to the program.

Les would be wise to follow kstate blueprint on roster numbers. Fill your scholarships up, but then offer a SHIT TON of preferred walk-on spots to all the kids in Kansas who are right around that FCS/Div 2 level of talent and develop the crap out of them and then you might get some use out of them when they are a junior or senior.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 am
thekid6 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am Ok, I have no idea what "blueshirting" is...can someone catch me up on that.
When you are over your scholarship limit you can give some players scholarships now, that count against your scholarship total the next year. So if you have 25 guys but 20 scholarships allowed you can give all 25 guys a scholly, but you loose 5 next year and the 5 guys given a blue shirt can't play and they also can't have been recruited players, so no official visits and no in home visits.
This is correct. This is also a good article explaining redshirts, blueshirts, grayshirts and all that and the differences between them.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... hirt-rules

thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 am
Thanks for the info! It sounds like we have 15 actual scholarships for next year, so if we offered 16 players, one would have to blueshirt?
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:39 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 am Why the fuck were we blueshirting so many players when according to the dotcom, we weren't filling our allotment in scholarship players in the first place. I mean, were these scholarships going to what should have been walk-ons? Is this why Beaty wouldn't say who was on scholarship? It was because everyone wearing pads got a scholarship?
Probably. Beaty didn't fix the scholarship issue as much as he would like us to think. It's still below P5 standards, but much better than when he received the keys to the program.

Les would be wise to follow kstate blueprint on roster numbers. Fill your scholarships up, but then offer a SHIT TON of preferred walk-on spots to all the kids in Kansas who are right around that FCS/Div 2 level of talent and develop the crap out of them and then you might get some use out of them when they are a junior or senior.
I just don't understand how, every year for the past 5+ seasons we've simultaneously had a minimal number of scholarship players and no scholarships to give out.

I mean, you'd think if you have a limited number of scholarships it would mean that it was because you had such a big class in an earlier year...that's how math works. But we seem to have small class after small class after small class resulting in a small roster and still with a fewer scholarships than EVERY other school.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Here's what I'm talking about:

In 2018 we had 22 signees, third fewest in the conference: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... nce=Big-12

In 2017, we had 22 signees, tied for third fewest: https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Footb ... nce=Big-12

In 2016, we had 20 signees, tied for second fewest: https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Footb ... nce=Big-12

I thought the rule was 85 scholarships and 25 per year...so where are the other scholarships going? I know that 247 might be incomplete, but, who is getting these scholarships, and why are we down 10 for this year when we only gave out 22 last year?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:39 am Beaty didn't fix the scholarship issue as much as he would like us to think. It's still below P5 standards, but much better than when he received the keys to the program.
We're still a year or so away from knowing whether the "much better" is true or not.

Miles backed up what I had been hearing internally about the roster: We're 2 full classes away from even being at D-1 level. There is no depth on the roster and a lot of the "scholarship" guys are not D-1 quality. Just a handful of talented guys that play every Saturday with nothing backing them up. Almost 40 juniors on the roster, hardly any underclassmen. Beaty sold the roster out for this year and we're still coming up empty. Miles will have a couple of lean years.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 pm Here's what I'm talking about:

In 2018 we had 22 signees, third fewest in the conference: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... nce=Big-12

In 2017, we had 22 signees, tied for third fewest: https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Footb ... nce=Big-12

In 2016, we had 20 signees, tied for second fewest: https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Footb ... nce=Big-12

I thought the rule was 85 scholarships and 25 per year...so where are the other scholarships going? I know that 247 might be incomplete, but, who is getting these scholarships, and why are we down 10 for this year when we only gave out 22 last year?
I don't have a good thorough answer as it is a little bit of a mystery to me, as well. I do know that we just kept getting backed up on blue shirts and then we took in a bunch of transfers and juco guys in between February and August almost every year. Throw in making walk-ons scholly players and we are all-hat, no cattle.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

#BreakTheCycle

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:35 pm
I don't have a good thorough answer as it is a little bit of a mystery to me, as well. I do know that we just kept getting backed up on blue shirts and then we took in a bunch of transfers and juco guys in between February and August almost every year. Throw in making walk-ons scholly players and we are all-hat, no cattle.
If your back is against a wall, you know you're short on time and you're desperate for a near-miracle, you think "out of the box".

Which can bite hard, b/c there are sometimes good reasons for the design of the box. Beaty/crew knew that, but had to roll dice. Often, imo.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 am Sea is expecting KU fans to want to go 10-2 every year. We don’t. We just want a competent coach and staff that can get KU to 5-7 wins a year, put butts in the seats to make Memorial look good and get the stadium redone. Miles checks all those boxes.
No, I'm actually not expecting anything like that. I think Miles is risky because he seems over the hill mentally--something which LSU fans were talking about long before he was fired. And because what he does seem to care about is gouging whatever school he's at for the biggest payout that he can. KU has finally recovered from the disastrous payouts for Gill and Weis and I hate to see it get in a hole again if Miles doesn't work out.

My impression of Miles as a mediocre coach comes from watching a whole lot of LSU football over the years and listening to relatives who all played high school football in Louisiana. Hasn't the big problem at KU been having a good enough quarterback? And everyone thinks Miles is a great hire when he's been below mediocre at recruiting and training QBs?

Oh and Phd, LSU was 4-7 and 3-9 (only won one in conference game) and finished at the 9th and 11th spots in the SEC in the years right before Saban came to LSU. I was told by someone close to the program that Saban made LSU a far more comfortable place for black athletes. Seems like a wise thing if one has all kinds of talent in one's 1 single flagship university state--one doesn't have to love Saban to think that.
Don't inject Lysol.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

#1 DB in Kansas. Les put that hat on like Lincoln Hawk. Time to go to work.

https://twitter.com/jayzaykc/status/106 ... 35590?s=21
I am, I said.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Jayden Russell = a slow (4.77 40) 3 star. I'm supposed to be excited?
I was hoping Les would want to (and would) bring in some 4 and 5 stars but hey, if JR is the best we can get - great.

How's that for a ?