Re: Welcome Coach Miles!

Post by Deleted User 89 »

he hasn’t even been on the job a week
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Trad - True!
I did give myself a 9.
I fully realize or at least I fully expect Les will bring in better guys than we have had in a long time.
I am also confident Les can and will get better HS DBs than Jayden Russell to sign with KU and whether he does or not, hopefully Les and staff can and will turn Jayden in to an All-American if he does indeed sign with KU. I'll wish every kid the best who signs with KU just as I wish Les nothing but the best.
The 07 season was awfully fun and hopefully we can have another fun season in the near future.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nah but he’s the best remaining guy in Kansas. Will likely end up being like Torneden. Kind of a hybrid S/LB. Doesn’t have speed to be on island at corner.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Sorry, I thought it was a positive post. I didn’t mean controversy. Coach Miles agrees with NewtonHawk11 and sees him as a Safety, Corner, or LB with his size.

https://twitter.com/jayhawkslant/status ... 85889?s=21
I am, I said.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Soklous wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:24 am Sorry, I thought it was a positive post. I didn’t mean controversy. Coach Miles agrees with NewtonHawk11 and sees him as a Safety, Corner, or LB with his size.

It is a good development. And he was offered by previous staff too, but it's good for Miles to re-offer him again. I think Les will do really well with in-state kids. This state has more talent than most think.

The top 10 this year, about 7 or 8 of them are headed to P5 schools like OU, Wisconsin, Iowa State, KU, kstate and others.

The 2020 class of Kansas kids will be huge. A big 4 star OL has been offered by all the big time programs. Free State kid, really likes Bowen though, so that'll be interesting if Miles can win him over if Bowen doesn't stay on as a position coach.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i've always been of the opinion that we should be able to get the best in-state kids...if we can't even do that, we're in bad shape (which we've obviously been in)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We're certainly hitting this at an interesting time. Over the next several years, would you rather play for a national champion in Lawrence, or deal with the end of the Snyder era (and beginning of, I hope as a KU fan, the next Snyder era) at KSU?
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I think it is good that he is at least reaching out to the local kids this early. It shows he is already working.

I think Monday/Tuesday should be good news days. No inside info, just think he won't announce any assistant coaches until after the game is over Friday. I am very excited to see the staff he assembles.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 am We're certainly hitting this at an interesting time. Over the next several years, would you rather play for a national champion in Lawrence, or deal with the end of the Snyder era (and beginning of, I hope as a KU fan, the next Snyder era) at KSU?
This is a very valid point. Miles and staff just getting started. Snyder and staff likely a couple years away at most from dissipating. This is also a good time for Miles to be hitting Kansas kids, especially considering the bad blood between Snyder and players who have left the program. Not treated very well when leaving in terms of not getting bowl rings, etc.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

nu_bronco wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:52 am I think it is good that he is at least reaching out to the local kids this early. It shows he is already working.

I think Monday/Tuesday should be good news days. No inside info, just think he won't announce any assistant coaches until after the game is over Friday. I am very excited to see the staff he assembles.
Think the staff is mostly filled by Sunday at the earliest, Tuesday at the latest. Once the regular season wraps up, he'll be hiring guys away from their schools.

My guess is that he keeps Hull and Ricker. The rest of the coaches are gone and Miles gets a big name or 2 to come here and be a OC or DC.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Have heard that there is a growing sense that if Fedora is out at UNC after this weekend, he has a better chance than not to be the OC at KU. Former OC at Okie State when Gundy first got hired. Had a good run at Southern Miss and good at UNC until the last 2 years.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:13 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 am We're certainly hitting this at an interesting time. Over the next several years, would you rather play for a national champion in Lawrence, or deal with the end of the Snyder era (and beginning of, I hope as a KU fan, the next Snyder era) at KSU?
This is a very valid point. Miles and staff just getting started. Snyder and staff likely a couple years away at most from dissipating. This is also a good time for Miles to be hitting Kansas kids, especially considering the bad blood between Snyder and players who have left the program. Not treated very well when leaving in terms of not getting bowl rings, etc.
Right. It wasn't so long ago that KU was merely mediocre, and KSU was a dumpster fire. In fact, it was really just a single coaching regime ago - one that happened to last longer than most, but still.

KSU, you were dust, and to dust (and soil judging) you shall return.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Very poetic, fish. nice.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:15 am he hasn’t even been on the job a week
^^^^This, and it's also really bush-league to talk shi* about a Jayhawk recruit. Aside from the fact that they may catch wind of it, it's crummy to put down an athlete who'll defend our colors.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Soklous wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:24 am Sorry, I thought it was a positive post. I didn’t mean controversy. Coach Miles agrees with NewtonHawk11 and sees him as a Safety, Corner, or LB with his size.

Your post was fine. Unfortunately, it drew the attention of the board's resident sad-sack whiner. So he did what he do.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

I imagine that Jayden is the first recruit is because he’s only 30 minutes away, and so he’s easy for Miles to squeeze a little recruiting into his hiring schedule. I don’t know much about Jayden, but I do believe that not every recruit needs to be a starter in his freshman year. We need to have guys that can be developed, which we don’t have enough of right now.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

kubandalum wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:24 pm I imagine that Jayden is the first recruit is because he’s only 30 minutes away, and so he’s easy for Miles to squeeze a little recruiting into his hiring schedule. I don’t know much about Jayden, but I do believe that not every recruit needs to be a starter in his freshman year. We need to have guys that can be developed, which we don’t have enough of right now.
Yeah don't think he'd play right away. What Miles did really well at LSU was groom guys to be big time players come their sophomore or junior seasons. But if he has guys that he know can play, he'll play them freshman year like he did with Fournette and some other guys like OBJ and whatnot.

I think Kansas needs to hit Miege and St Thomas hard. Those guys are going to Notre Dame and Wisconsin the last few years. Kansas needs to hit with those guys.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yes. However it happens, we're just in need of a roster stocked with guys who should be playing for a Power 5 school. I'm confident in Miles' ability to coach them up, but we have to improve the starting place.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

nu_bronco wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:52 am I think it is good that he is at least reaching out to the local kids this early. It shows he is already working.

Now venturing into his waters.

https://twitter.com/recruitlouisian/sta ... 04480?s=21
I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It says he committed to LSU, no?